Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Just got a 2013 G37 in Carlisle PA

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 07:17 PM
2011monty
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im checking everything out and im super excited to be finding all these things I have already learned a lot. I think the very first thing im going to do are the sway bars and then probably a body kit. I just have to decide which other color I want with the pearl white color. I could go white and black which looks nice but everyone goes to that. But Im thinking maybe white and red. Possibly even blue. Im trying to find reference pictures to see what it would look like but its hard.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:14 PM
IPL23

Unless you track the car or are a serious backroad enthusiast the sway bar is unnecessary honestly. Id get a nice exhaust/intake or front bumper first....then wheels.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:23 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Originally Posted by IPL23
Unless you track the car or are a serious backroad enthusiast the sway bar is unnecessary honestly. Id get a nice exhaust/intake or front bumper first....then wheels.
That's 100% false. Unless you're driving at 15 MPH everywhere, a sway bar is going to be noticed and used every single time you put the car into motion. Simply taking an on/off ramp at the posted speed limit will make the sway bar shine vs. the stock set-up. Everything you recommended does nothing more than make noise or provide cosmetic enhancements...nothing for actual performance.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:07 PM
IPL23

Originally Posted by RMB5190
That's 100% false. Unless you're driving at 15 MPH everywhere, a sway bar is going to be noticed and used every single time you put the car into motion. Simply taking an on/off ramp at the posted speed limit will make the sway bar shine vs. the stock set-up. Everything you recommended does nothing more than make noise or provide cosmetic enhancements...nothing for actual performance.
Thats 100% false....a good exhaust and y-pipe, combined with a good intake can give you around 15-30 whp GAINZ....which is the literal definition of performance. A "sway bar" (which you will 100% not notice at all vs. a stock setup) doesn't do anything unless you want faster lap times.

and with the proper cosmetic enhancements you can make your nearly decade old car look more modern, although the G has aged very well.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:44 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
100% not notice? No way. It's easier to put power down when turning. Have you done any autocross or track events?
Old 01-18-2019, 10:21 PM
IPL23

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
100% not notice? No way. It's easier to put power down when turning. Have you done any autocross or track events?
No I haven't. We aren't talking about me, we are talking about whether or not this is worth the money for somebody who has never modded a car before, and I said exhaust/intake is more worth the money. But I still don't think a sway bar is worth purchasing unless you track the car. And if you're tracking a luxury coupe that weighs 3800 lbs. with under 400 hp then don't expect a "sway bar" to bring much more enjoyment.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:56 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

I asked the question because I suspected you have never tried to use the handling the car offers. If not, you cannot rightly claim the sway bars are of less value than exhaust or visual enhancements. I enjoy my larger sway bars every time I drive the car.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:27 AM
MNfiniti
Registered Member

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
Thats 100% false....a good exhaust and y-pipe, combined with a good intake can give you around 15-30 whp GAINZ....which is the literal definition of performance. A "sway bar" (which you will 100% not notice at all vs. a stock setup) doesn't do anything unless you want faster lap times.

and with the proper cosmetic enhancements you can make your nearly decade old car look more modern, although the G has aged very well.

By FAR, the best mod i've done to my X Sedan is swap the rear sway bar to a stock Coupe Sport sway bar... I've done just about every "normal" thing you can do to this car mod wise and the biggest bang for the $ is a sway bar upgrade...! If you drive 100% in a straight line, then yeah, maybe intake and exhaust for $1000+ is awesome, but if you ever turn your steering wheel, the couple hundred bucks to upgrade the sway bars is WAY more worth it. Being able to take a corner at 60mph vs 40mph makes it way more fun to drive for a few hundred bucks vs. a half second faster acceleration, butt dyno, in a straight line for a thousand plus... Yes, you should eventually upgrade the intake and exhaust, but for a beginner to the G, and for the money, sway bars are the way to go....
Old 01-19-2019, 02:32 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

15-30 'bro' power at best. You aren't seeing anything worth writing home about unless you have a HFC or test pipes along with a tune. By that point, you're a minimum of $1,500 before seeing any improvements. Just about everyone who has installed a rear sway will rave about the improvements the moment they take their first turn; myself included.

Why not use a 3800pd 330hp luxury coupe? With the right rubber and suspension upgrades, the G could be a blast to toss around a track. 4DRZ seems to love his and his G is track oriented.

Also, when you suggest wheels you mean tires right? If not, I can see how prioritizing Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements would lead one to believe suspension upgrades aren't 'worth' it.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:34 PM
IPL23

Originally Posted by MNfiniti
By FAR, the best mod i've done to my X Sedan is swap the rear sway bar to a stock Coupe Sport sway bar... I've done just about every "normal" thing you can do to this car mod wise and the biggest bang for the $ is a sway bar upgrade...! If you drive 100% in a straight line, then yeah, maybe intake and exhaust for $1000+ is awesome, but if you ever turn your steering wheel, the couple hundred bucks to upgrade the sway bars is WAY more worth it. Being able to take a corner at 60mph vs 40mph makes it way more fun to drive for a few hundred bucks vs. a half second faster acceleration, butt dyno, in a straight line for a thousand plus... Yes, you should eventually upgrade the intake and exhaust, but for a beginner to the G, and for the money, sway bars are the way to go....
Apparently we have a bunch of professional drivers who drive almost 2 ton sports cars....lmao
Old 01-19-2019, 02:48 PM
IPL23

Originally Posted by RMB5190
15-30 'bro' power at best. You aren't seeing anything worth writing home about unless you have a HFC or test pipes along with a tune. By that point, you're a minimum of $1,500 before seeing any improvements. Just about everyone who has installed a rear sway will rave about the improvements the moment they take their first turn; myself included.

Why not use a 3800pd 330hp luxury coupe? With the right rubber and suspension upgrades, the G could be a blast to toss around a track. 4DRZ seems to love his and his G is track oriented.

Also, when you suggest wheels you mean tires right? If not, I can see how prioritizing Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements would lead one to believe suspension upgrades aren't 'worth' it.
Put a Tomei muffler on for $1k and Stillen Gen 3, probably won’t be any noticeable difference but still better upgrades than a sway bar.

“Why not not track a Ford F-150...I’m sure if you lower it and put the proper tires and suspension upgrades it would be fun to toss around the track”....that’s not the point. The point is 2 ton cars shouldn’t be on the track and spending $300 on a sway bar won’t make it “more fun,” espically for somebody who has never nodded a car before.

No by wheels I mean rims. Again, a guy who has never modded a car won’t be pushing the car enough to need proper performance tires. And rims will improve the look of the vehicle, maybe even cut some weight on top of that.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:54 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Just enthusiasts who understand the importance of upgrading the OEM suspension on said two ton luxury/sport vehicle if there's any intention of doing semi-spirited driving without atrocious under/over steer and enough body roll to make one sea sick....

A sway bar is a very beginner friendly mod that will improve handling in any scenario on the street or at the track. Perfect for a beginner, as OP stated he/she was.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:03 PM
IPL23

Do you daily drive your G? How often do you accelerate vs. taking a corner? How often do you track your boat? Im not saying a sway bar doesn't improve handling. Im saying use that money else where, as in a good intake or exhaust so you get some actual use of your performance upgrades.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:17 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Put a Tomei muffler on for $1k and Stillen Gen 3, probably won’t be any noticeable difference but still better upgrades than a sway bar.

“Why not not track a Ford F-150...I’m sure if you lower it and put the proper tires and suspension upgrades it would be fun to toss around the track”....that’s not the point. The point is 2 ton cars shouldn’t be on the track and spending $300 on a sway bar won’t make it “more fun,” espically for somebody who has never nodded a car before.

No by wheels I mean rims. Again, a guy who has never modded a car won’t be pushing the car enough to need proper performance tires. And rims will improve the look of the vehicle, maybe even cut some weight on top of that.
You're moving the goal posts to make your point...

A RWD G37 Coupe weighs 3,600 pds. Both, the new STI and Evo X are 3,500pds and come with less HP than a G37. Are you saying they don't belong anywhere near a track?

A sway bar upgrade is in the ball park of $100-120. OP doesn't need to go for a full name brand set to yield the benefits. You argue OP wouldn't use a proper set of summer tires...Yet, they would only benefit him every time he steps on the throttle; or a sway bar that would be noticed on every turn.

I will agree, lighter rims = less unsprung mass but why not suggest he slap heavy 19s or 20s on if he will never be in a situation to use the weight reduction effectively? Or, the loudest single exit muffler available? OP wouldn't learn or gain one ounce* of experience doing either of those. A shop would be required.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:24 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

IPL23, you do not understand or care about handling of the G. Those of us who do have consistently countered your old-school hotrod opinion. It's time to put this to bed. The OP can make his choice or search for further opinions.

Quick Reply: Just got a 2013 G37 in Carlisle PA