Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

New Member with a new-to-me G37x

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 03:38 PM
EXTREMEFUN1300
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
New Member with a new-to-me G37x

Hey all!
This place is great, I had no idea this car had so many enthusiasts, but after owning one now I completely get it!
I'm from the Chicago suburbs, couldn't find anything locally with good miles/condition/interior & exterior color for what I considered a good price. Couple to chose from but nobody in the area really moving much on price for the really nice cars, so I expanded my search nationwide.
I came across a Honda dealer in Rochester, NY that just took one in on trade. 2013, Moonlight White, Stone interior, 39k miles. Garber Honda went out of their way to make me comfortable before I decided to book a one-way flight from Chicago to Rochester, they even put it up on the rack and took detailed photos of the entire underside at my request, along with anything else I requested. It was a local one owner car purchased in the area and serviced at Infiniti by the book! I don't use the term "showroom new" lightly as I'm extremely particular about my vehicles, but this car is as close as you can get! I wasn't expecting much of a discount as their asking price was very reasonable, but ended up negotiating down to $16,800 and from all I looked at locally it was an EXCELLENT price.
Secured financing with the dealer, bought a one-way ticket Thursday, dealer had a shuttle pick me up at the airport at 9:15am Friday morning, got to the dealer and inspected the car, drove it, put it up on the rack again and spent about 1/2hr inspecting it myself.
Signed the papers and was on the road back to Chicago by noon. Got home around 10:30 Friday night still with the smile on my face! Aside from these cars being so peppy and sporty feeling to drive, I was happily surprised with 27mpg average I got on the way home with the cruise set at 78mph! Such a fun, comfortable and absolutely proud car to drive. I couldn't be happier and more satisfied, and for the price it's A LOT of car for sure.
HAVE to get different fogs though, I still don't understand how manufactures don't match fog lights to the headlights! LOL Wheels/tires, sport front and rear spoiler, medium tint and hopefully drive her till the cows come home!
Happy I found MyG37.com, so much great info here!

I'll be around!
Matt

Old 08-31-2018, 10:54 AM
r2dmax

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
Nice ride! Nothing like the feeling of a road trip in your brand new (to you) car! I rarely buy my cars locally so I end up with that initial road trip too. Great car and a lot of info here. Any mod plans?
Old 08-31-2018, 12:43 PM
EXTREMEFUN1300
Registered Member

Thank you r2dmax!
Honestly I do not like long road trips, but the feeling of driving something new and so comfortable really made it feel shorter than it was. Immediately after seeing the car when I got to NY I knew it wasn't a wasted trip, actually it was about exactly one week to this second I was beginning the trip home! One week and 1200 miles later no surprises (knocking on wood!) and love it even more.

As far as mods, cosmetic mostly. I have Diode Dynamics direct replacement LED fog bulbs waiting on my porch as I type, looking at the fogs at night was like nails across a chalkboard for me! LOL
I love the Velocity V710 wheels or something very similar, going to get 19"x8.5" and a nice set of tires. Stock wheels will then be used for Blizzak's
Medium window tint
Performance wise, only a little suspension in the form of Stillen or Eibach front/rear sway bars and the brace that connects the strut towers in the engine compartment. The cars look tough lowered a little, but I drive close to 24k miles a year and I'm not doing anything to sacrifice the ride outside of 19" wheels and lower profile tires. The last thing I want to deal with should it require warranty work is hearing the excuse it's the lowered suspension's fault! LOL Oh yeah, warranty, another reason I made the trip to NY! 30k miles remain on engine/drivetrain, basically a little more than a year for me, made me much more comfortable with the purchase!

So, a little at a time as the budget allows...right now the budget only allowed fog LED bulbs! LOL

Here's a pic of the QX4 I sold to get the G37x. Found this in St. Louis, looked for a year to find one that wasn't rotted underneath, and it was HARD OMG! So many looked great inside and outside, but crawl underneath and just terrible, couple actually dangerous to drive! Found it at a little family owned shop that performed all the maintenance on it for the original only owner. He put it up on the rack and photographed in detail everything I asked for, was super to deal with similar to my experience with the G37x. Agreed on price, bought a one way ticket from Chicago to St. Louis on a Thursday morning, flew in Friday morning and home later that day. This was three years ago, it had 128k miles on it, aside from the drivers seat (typical QX4 cracks and tears) it was gorgeous. I modified late model factory 20" Infiniti wheels by opening up the center bore, Continental CrossContact 255/55-20 tires, 1-1/2" strut spacers up front and bags in the rear for any light towing. What a nice little suv this was, just horrible gas mileage and was really getting up on miles. It was tough to sell it, but a guy from Dubuque, IA came out to buy, he was an enthusiast like myself and knew what the 2002+ models with the 3.5L engine was, and promised to take care of it. 196k miles, sold it for $4k with a set of winter tires/wheels. She was a tank in the snow with Blizzaks!

Old 08-31-2018, 02:31 PM
Selym
Registered Member

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Nice car!

Got any pics of the underside? I'm curious how much surface rust there is vs. my 2013. Mine came from PA, and currently lives in MA.
Old 08-31-2018, 03:35 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Welcome to the site!

Why were using your fogs at night, was it foggy?
Old 08-31-2018, 03:46 PM
EXTREMEFUN1300
Registered Member

I do yes, have to save them to my camera roll from the txt messages and I'll post them up.
Old 08-31-2018, 03:49 PM
EXTREMEFUN1300
Registered Member

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Welcome to the site!

Why were using your fogs at night, was it foggy?
Whenever my headlights are on the fogs are on, foggy or not.
Old 08-31-2018, 03:54 PM
EXTREMEFUN1300
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Selym
Nice car!

Got any pics of the underside? I'm curious how much surface rust there is vs. my 2013. Mine came from PA, and currently lives in MA.

Old 08-31-2018, 04:07 PM
Selym
Registered Member

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Thanks for the pics!
Old 08-31-2018, 09:16 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Originally Posted by EXTREMEFUN1300
Whenever my headlights are on the fogs are on, foggy or not.
Why? Does that not violate your state's lighting laws? Texas makes it illegal to run auxilliary headlights, which fog lights are if run in clear weather.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:08 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Congrats & welcome to the site, looks like you're really enjoying your car, glad you found us!
Old 09-01-2018, 12:05 AM
EXTREMEFUN1300
Registered Member

Originally Posted by slartibartfast

Why? Does that not violate your state's lighting laws? Texas makes it illegal to run auxilliary headlights, which fog lights are if run in clear weather.

thank god I don’t live in TX, along with 95% of every other car in North America with fog lights! LOL
Old 09-01-2018, 12:10 AM
EXTREMEFUN1300
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
Congrats & welcome to the site, looks like you're really enjoying your car, glad you found us!
thank you, they really are an excellent daily driver! Quicker than the Q50 3.7’s I drove, feel about as quick as the Q50 Hubrid, but that’s primarily due to exhaust noise! LOL
Old 09-01-2018, 02:38 PM
Marshall Pierce

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the site! Such a story to obtain that beauty of a ride.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:52 PM
EXTREMEFUN1300
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Marshall Pierce
Welcome to the site! Such a story to obtain that beauty of a ride.
Thanks Marshall! It was a very exciting adventure, luckily with a very satisfied happy ending! I've gone out of my way before to jump on a deal whether it be a car, boat, atv, snowmobile etc etc...only to be disappointed when I got there.
Crazy thing is a few days before I found this one online I had negotiated a deal on a 2011, same color everything but definitely not in as nice condition. Long story short, the ad online said it had NAV, well it didn't upon inspection. I baulked as they weren't going to move on the negotiated price with NAV, left the dealer and was gone about an hour expecting a call sayin ok come on back you can have it for $xxxxxx. No phone call after an hour so I went back to the dealer and was going to buy it anyway, it was a very nice car and the price was very reasonable even without NAV. Got back to the dealer two hours later and it was gone! LOL
Things happen for a reason, I'm a firm believer!

Quick Reply: New Member with a new-to-me G37x