Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

My 2009 G37 Sedan (Looking for tips and helpful advice)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 08:49 PM
Kohats

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation My 2009 G37 Sedan (Looking for tips and helpful advice)

I have some miscellaneous questions to ask and was hoping that somebody who has much more experience could help me (hopefully) not screw anything up.

The pictures seen above are what my car looks like currently. (I didn't have any better pics on my PC)

1. I intend on Plasti-Dipping my rims and grill black, should I go matte or glossy? Or should I go an entirely different color all together? What are the cheapest and safest ways to Plasti-Dip? I've seen videos online and I know they sell kits on websites like dipyourcar but I was wondering if I could get the Plasti-Dip or a kit for cheaper and what easy mistakes to avoid while using said Plasti-Dip.

2. If you haven't noticed yet, cheap is one of my favorite words because I'm a student. (Aka Broke AF) Are there any cheap/ fairly cheap performance parts that would make a difference? If not, what are other things that you would recommend? Ex. Interior lighting, under glow, maybe an exhaust system that doesn't add any noticeable HP but makes the car sound better?

3. Some of my dash LED's are starting to go out. What is the cheapest easiest way to fix that?

4. What exterior parts could I put on my car to make it look cooler/ more aggressive? Ex. Front Bumpers & Diffusers (I know that these usually aren't that cheap but ones that are reasonably priced)

Thanks for reading! Hopefully, you can answer one of my questions or at least leave a suggestion. If not, I appreciate it anyway.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:33 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Welcome to the site. Hard to tell from the pics, what color is your car and are there two color tones throughout?

Understood about being on a budget, I'd consider doing things in small doses rather than doing a bunch at once.

As far as parts, our private classified folder has good deals on a regular basis, just have to be there at the right time

Plastidip is pretty good for small parts like emblems/lettering and as you go to larger parts it starts to look more out of place. There are good youtube clips on the product and if you can see some examples firsthand prior to buying those kits, that would be a good plan IMO.

There are wheels & grills that turn out pretty good, at least from pics, so seeing for yourself would be best.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:59 AM
Kohats

Originally Posted by blnewt
Welcome to the site. Hard to tell from the pics, what color is your car and are there two color tones throughout?

Understood about being on a budget, I'd consider doing things in small doses rather than doing a bunch at once.

As far as parts, our private classified folder has good deals on a regular basis, just have to be there at the right time

Plastidip is pretty good for small parts like emblems/lettering and as you go to larger parts it starts to look more out of place. There are good youtube clips on the product and if you can see some examples firsthand prior to buying those kits, that would be a good plan IMO.

There are wheels & grills that turn out pretty good, at least from pics, so seeing for yourself would be best.
Yea it's been raining quite a bit so I havent had the will to take better pics😂 it's gray on the outside with a black interior. I intended on doing black wheels and grill just so it all matches, I just wanted to see if someone who may also have a gray sedan did a different color and if it ended up looking cooler than black. Also I didn't know about the classified folder, I'll be sure to check it out.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:05 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Not a fan of the flat black look but mix in a 'metal' and 'gloss' coat and you can improve the look. Doesn't look too bad on the grille actually and if done right can be hard to distinguish from vinyl unless really inspected.

Wouldn't recommend wheels unless you've done it before on smaller stuff and got the hang of the 'motion'. Flat black dipped wheels look cheap IMO. Save up and get something nice.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:14 PM
2011-G
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
You can stop at home depot - They have some good prices on plastidip cans - You will only need like 2 cans max to do the job right

Take the grill off and then plastidip it because you do not want to spray on your radiator - (You can take the front cover off and put something behind the grill to avoid it) but taking off the part is the best way

I have seen some people take the infiniti lettering off - It gives the car a more decent look IMO

Do not plastidip your wheels (You will kill the whole premium look of this car) If you can't upgrade to bigger wheels.. try looking for some stock infiniti wheels that come on the sports models or even 370z wheels will look so much better and you can find them at a very fair price.

Good luck with the car..Keep us updated - There is a forum on here for sedan owners. You should go thru that to get more ideas.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:48 PM
Kohats

A couple more questions.

Thanks for the helpful replies, I was wondering:

What are some good looking and simple setup interior lighting options?

and

Since I have a 2009 I can't play bluetooth music from my phone, what the best and cheapest way to fix this?
Old 12-21-2017, 07:32 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Diode dynamics has an entire interior light upgrade.

GTR button and GTR dome lenses make a big visual difference IMO. CARSMO ***** are also a great upgrade to up the 'class' as well.

No Nav = No blue tooth streaming. If you have an Android there's some work arounds you can search for here on the forum. If you have an Iphone (like me) you're SOL.

Download a playlist to a cheap Ipod and go that route.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:02 AM
smitty37g

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LED lights in the cluster are soldered in, unless you know someone really, i mean really good, it is a dealer fix. they order a refub cluster and put it in, about $1000. Just had this done 2 months ago.
Bluetooth streaming does not work in factory 09, nav or not. I just plug my phone into the AUX. works fine for me, but like RMB said, there are work arounds.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:55 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

^Correct. Models with the AUX port can plug and play.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:20 PM
Kohats

Originally Posted by RMB5190
Diode dynamics has an entire interior light upgrade.

GTR button and GTR dome lenses make a big visual difference IMO. CARSMO ***** are also a great upgrade to up the 'class' as well.

No Nav = No blue tooth streaming. If you have an Android there's some work arounds you can search for here on the forum. If you have an Iphone (like me) you're SOL.

Download a playlist to a cheap Ipod and go that route.
I have the nav package, but no aux port or ability to play Bluetooth music. On another note, how can/ can I play CDs in my car?
Old 12-22-2017, 01:38 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Isn't the AUX port in the center console like USB in later models?
Old 01-05-2018, 09:37 AM
dmudd
Registered Member

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Isn't the AUX port in the center console like USB in later models?
My 09 is. How ever its not a straight AUX port. Its a Y cable.

https://www.target.com/p/ge-stereo-y...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 01-15-2018, 11:11 PM
g-wagon
Registered Member

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
To plasti dip the grille. I'd say take the grille off the car and pop the emblem out. Prep it then dip it. It easiest way to do it without have to mask anything off.