Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Owned a G for a couple months now and was wondering if

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 05:50 PM
ZRami
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Owned a G for a couple months now and was wondering if

If I change the resonators on a IPL will it change the sound? Or do I have to change the mufflers? I want a more open deep tone and don't know what to change. A person on here said to go for a Vibrant Resonator and Tanabe Medallion Axle back setup.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:17 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by ZRami
If I change the resonators on a IPL will it change the sound? Or do I have to change the mufflers? I want a more open deep tone and don't know what to change. A person on here said to go for a Vibrant Resonator and Tanabe Medallion Axle back setup.
Tanabe axleback itself will change the sound better yet do aam short tails it sounds better than the tanabe. As for the resonaters they help with rasp and drone less for sound more for refinement. I dont see a reason to mess with them unless its to remove them then that creates rasp and drone
Old 10-31-2017, 08:42 PM
ZRami
Registered Member

Originally Posted by PNW_IPL
Tanabe axleback itself will change the sound better yet do aam short tails it sounds better than the tanabe. As for the resonaters they help with rasp and drone less for sound more for refinement. I dont see a reason to mess with them unless its to remove them then that creates rasp and drone
See I live in CA and I need a muffler from what I looked at on those AAM they don't have a muffler, All I see is straight pipe.

Last edited by ZRami; 10-31-2017 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:45 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

See I live in CA and I need a muffler by law from what I looked at on those AAM they don't have a muffler, All I see is straight pipe.
Im using the resonated version which is muffled
Old 10-31-2017, 09:05 PM
ZRami
Registered Member

Im using the resonated version which is muffled
And I should be fine here in CA?
Old 10-31-2017, 09:07 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

And I should be fine here in CA?
Im in WA i know nothing about .CA laws.
If they want a muffler the reonated version would be considered a muffler i guess.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:49 PM
ZRami
Registered Member

Yeah I just looked up the "CA Codes for Modify Exhaust" and it said by Law you need a Muffler in CA soooooo RIP.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:51 PM
ZRami
Registered Member

Im in WA i know nothing about .CA laws.
If they want a muffler the reonated version would be considered a muffler i guess.
CA. V.C. 27150 (a) Every motor vehicle subject to registration shall be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:56 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Define muffler.
Id consider a resonator device a muffling device. If you scared go tanabe and remove the resonators all together but it wont sound good.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:32 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
California is a tough beast when it comes to getting aftermarket emission related equipment past their watchful eye. G/L with any mods in that area.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:12 AM
ZRami
Registered Member

Define muffler.
Id consider a resonator device a muffling device. If you scared go tanabe and remove the resonators all together but it wont sound good.
Mufflers are engineered with multiple chambers that expand exhaust gases as they pass through. These chambers feature perforated tubes or baffles.

Yeah I would consider resonators a muffling device as well its supposed to cancel out a certain sound wave. Yeah I don't know I need to look into other options or something.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:12 AM
ZRami
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
California is a tough beast when it comes to getting aftermarket emission related equipment past their watchful eye. G/L with any mods in that area.
I know dude it sucks so badly. Thanks I will for sure need it
Old 11-01-2017, 12:28 AM
hurleyguys

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
all they really test here in cali is a decibel limit. if it its over 95 decibels then they will deem it illegal. but if the exhaust is under the 95 decibel limit then you are good to go. i have not really been hassled too badly about my exhaust from the PD or sheriffs. its the CHP you have to look out for.