Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Buying used question

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 01:51 PM
AleW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying used question

So I have been looking around for 08-10 G37x coupes. I was wondering how you guys feel about buying ones what has less than 85K miles but has 2-3 owners. I have been looking for awhile now but it seems majority of these Gs from official dealerships have at least 2 or 3 owners for my price range of 13-15K.

Would this be bad move with that many owners?

I am just confused on why people seem to give these cars up with such a small amount of miles? From what I have read these cars seem to be very reliable.

Any help is appreciated!
Old 07-19-2017, 02:22 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Could be any number of reasons really....

Weekend driver and owner was ready to upgrade...
Owner deployed..
Sent overseas for job...
Owner lost their job..
Owner got a promotion and upgraded...
Unexpected pregnancy...
Needed extra funds to finish a project on home...
Needed funds to put a down payment on a home..
Helped/outright purchase for their teen - said teen discovers what it can do and gets into accident/speeding ticket...

You will drive yourself crazy. If the car has been taken care of and maintained properly it makes no difference.
The following users liked this post:
kiseliok (07-21-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 03:13 PM
AleW

Originally Posted by RMB5190
Could be any number of reasons really....

Weekend driver and owner was ready to upgrade...
Owner deployed..
Sent overseas for job...
Owner lost their job..
Owner got a promotion and upgraded...
Unexpected pregnancy...
Needed extra funds to finish a project on home...
Needed funds to put a down payment on a home..
Helped/outright purchase for their teen - said teen discovers what it can do and gets into accident/speeding ticket...

You will drive yourself crazy. If the car has been taken care of and maintained properly it makes no difference.
True. I guess my best bet is just to read what to look out for whenever buying used. I did read that this car is pretty solid besides the rear timing cover.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:31 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by AleW
True. I guess my best bet is just to read what to look out for whenever buying used.
Unless it's CPO and has an extended warranty, Spend $100 and have a trained mechanic do a pre-purchace inspection. I'm pretty car savvy and still paid the price for skipping this step because some things aren't visible on a cursory inspection, especially if an unscrupulous person (aka used car dealer) went to lengths to hide it. Never again.

It's a used luxury car, not a refurbed iphone. Just spend the money.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:43 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Even the timing gasket shouldn't be a real deterrent. The chances of it happening are very low; but you should go into the purchase aware of the possibility. The best way to get out in front of it is to check the oil pressure during an oil change. Super simple from what I remember reading and there's a video showing how to do it.

This will let you stay out in front of it a bit in the event it starts to happen. If you you can, try to get a model with the sports package....worth the wait IMO
Old 07-19-2017, 05:14 PM
AleW

Originally Posted by Victory
Unless it's CPO and has an extended warranty, Spend $100 and have a trained mechanic do a pre-purchace inspection. I'm pretty car savvy and still paid the price for skipping this step because some things aren't visible on a cursory inspection, especially if an unscrupulous person (aka used car dealer) went to lengths to hide it. Never again.

It's a used luxury car, not a refurbed iphone. Just spend the money.
On my search distance I have had it around 150-200 miles. So if I do have to travel the said distance on one, what is your recommendation for the pre-inspection? Do I just find a decently reviewed mechanic shop near the dealership what will do the inspection for a reasonable fee of around $100?
I would imagine that most dealerships would be okay with this pre-inspection if the car was okay and they stand behind their vehicle.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:26 PM
Victory
Registered Member

On my search distance I have had it around 150-200 miles. So if I do have to travel the said distance on one, what is your recommendation for the pre-inspection? Do I just find a decently reviewed mechanic shop near the dealership what will do the inspection for a reasonable fee of around $100?
I would imagine that most dealerships would be okay with this pre-inspection if the car was okay and they stand behind their vehicle.
That's the beauty of mobile inspection services. They'll go right to the dealership and inspect it on the lot. Costs a little more ($100-150) than using a local garage or nearby dealership, but consider this: they can do the inspection without you and provide a complete report with pictures of any issues. If it turns out a car you were interested in some 150-200 miles away is a turd, the inspection just paid for itself in saved time and travel expenses.

Otherwise, call a nearby dealer or highly rated shop to see if they can help you, then call the seller, tell them you are a serious buyer and that as part of the test drive you want to take it to a nearby shop for a pre-purchase inspection. Any dealer that has a problem with that is probably best avoided.

Last edited by Victory; 07-19-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:00 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
So I have been looking around for 08-10 G37x coupes. I was wondering how you guys feel about buying ones what has less than 85K miles but has 2-3 owners. I have been looking for awhile now but it seems majority of these Gs from official dealerships have at least 2 or 3 owners for my price range of 13-15K.

Would this be bad move with that many owners?

I am just confused on why people seem to give these cars up with such a small amount of miles? From what I have read these cars seem to be very reliable.

Any help is appreciated!
As others have mentioned spend the money to have the vehicle thoroughly inspected by an Infiniti dealer and have them run the VIN number for you and provide you with a complete vehicle history.
Was the vehicle ever in an accident or involved in a flood?
Was the vehicle originally purchased out of state with a possible washed title?
Check tires along with the tire date codes.
Check the brakes, emissions, alignment.
Be aware TPMS sensor batteries are at or near end of life
Any deficiencies found can be used to lower the purchase price or walk away

Good luck

Telcoman
Old 07-19-2017, 09:01 PM
AleW

Originally Posted by Victory
That's the beauty of mobile inspection services. They'll go right to the dealership and inspect it on the lot. Costs a little more ($100-150) than using a local garage or nearby dealership, but consider this: they can do the inspection without you and provide a complete report with pictures of any issues. If it turns out a car you were interested in some 150-200 miles away is a turd, the inspection just paid for itself in saved time and travel expenses.

Otherwise, call a nearby dealer or highly rated shop to see if they can help you, then call the seller, tell them you are a serious buyer and that as part of the test drive you want to take it to a nearby shop for a pre-purchase inspection. Any dealer that has a problem with that is probably best avoided.
Thats a pretty awesome service. I'll have to check them out. If everything goes smoothly and they say the car is good, what about a out of dealership extended warranty they offer on used cars. Is it worth it or no?
Old 07-20-2017, 09:01 AM
Victory
Registered Member

Be careful with 3rd party warranties. With most of them it's a huge hassle to collect and you often have to pay out of pocket then fight them to reimburse you.

it does make the dealer a good commission, however
Old 07-20-2017, 09:05 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Generally, these are rock solid cars. The slave cylinder and gasket failure on the pre 2012's are the only common big ticket items if they fail; the gasket being the more expensive of the two at $2,000+. It's a tough call man but for the sake of it, let's say there's a 10% chance.

Let's say, you get the max plan for $1,500 with a $100 deductible. You're already in the hole $1,500 for a 60 month extended warranty if nothing breaks. Using the gasket example above, there's a 90% chance you will never utilize that warranty for that big ticket item. Pretty bad odds if you're in Vegas. Quite a bit needs to go wrong or break in order to see a positive ROI on that warranty purchase.

If you decide you want one for peace of mind, make sure you read. the. fine. print. Dealerships will do just about anything to get out of doing warranty repairs. Make sure you're covered.

This website acts as a broker for you and shops all the best dealership warranty offers and reports back to you:

Warranty ninja best extended car manufacturer warranty quotes for cars like Audi,BMW,infiniti,jaguar,lexus,ford,ferrari
The following 3 users liked this post by RMB5190:
blnewt (07-20-2017), Exploded_Muffin (07-20-2017), kiseliok (07-21-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 10:30 AM
Exploded_Muffin
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Generally, these are rock solid cars. The slave cylinder and gasket failure on the pre 2012's are the only common big ticket items if they fail; the gasket being the more expensive of the two at $2,000+. It's a tough call man but for the sake of it, let's say there's a 10% chance.

Let's say, you get the max plan for $1,500 with a $100 deductible. You're already in the hole $1,500 for a 60 month extended warranty if nothing breaks. Using the gasket example above, there's a 90% chance you will never utilize that warranty for that big ticket item. Pretty bad odds if you're in Vegas. Quite a bit needs to go wrong or break in order to see a positive ROI on that warranty purchase.

If you decide you want one for peace of mind, make sure you read. the. fine. print. Dealerships will do just about anything to get out of doing warranty repairs. Make sure you're covered.

This website acts as a broker for you and shops all the best dealership warranty offers and reports back to you:

Warranty ninja best extended car manufacturer warranty quotes for cars like Audi,BMW,infiniti,jaguar,lexus,ford,ferrari
Random but you're very helpful on these forums mate. Thanking you on behalf of the OP lol
RMB5190 (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 11:05 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Exploded_Muffin
Random but you're very helpful on these forums mate. Thanking you on behalf of the OP lol
x2, goes above & beyond on a daily basis
RMB5190 (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 12:37 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Aww thanks guys, I appreciate it!

Luckily, work is stupid slow and I have no idea how to pace myself. Also doesn't help that I've made myself obsolete by setting up operating procedures and formulated worksheets instead of the stop gaps that were in place. That made my work load 20% of what it was...Just don't tell my boss!

Use my free time to research people's questions as much as I can so I can give a helpful answer. My background is in legal studies, investigations, and finances so I don't mind.

This is a fantastic forum with members who, in my experience, will go out of their way to help you; if you've done everything to help yourself. The info can be brutal and honest at times but as long as you take it in stride you will learn a lot...If you don't believe me, spend 30 minutes on the Mazda Speed forums and you'll see enough mentions of 'f*ck Boi' 'f@g' and 'butt sekts' to make you question humanity...Those dudes know that car inside and out but my God it's like a frat house in there
Old 07-20-2017, 09:10 PM
AleW

Thank for the information. I was planning to get the auto to avoid the slave cylinder which if I remember correctly it's a manual problem.