Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Buying used question

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 11:12 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
It is but the 7AT isn't without Quirks. It's a bit rough and indecisive. I think it's just part of it's charm but some guys can't stand it. Drive both my friend.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:30 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by RMB5190
It is but the 7AT isn't without Quirks. It's a bit rough and indecisive. I think it's just part of it's charm but some guys can't stand it. Drive both my friend.
Honestly, fully updated i find this to be one of the better automatic transmissions out there. Shifts are relatively quick and unobtrusive. Sport mode puts you in the right gear coming out of corners. I find very little to complain about
Old 07-21-2017, 02:25 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

I have a 2012 that is a bit rough and quick to drop a gear but I love it. Not sure if an update is even available but I love the aggressiveness of it. I'd rather that than a lazy trans.

I think I've mentioned it before, but my fiance gives me the "whatcha doooin?" look every once in awhile when it aggressively gears down and launches us forward when cruising at 25-35 mph. I don't even make eye contact when I reply "wasn't me"
Old 07-21-2017, 02:56 PM
kiseliok
G37 Community Team

Received 169 Likes on 151 Posts
...If you don't believe me, spend 30 minutes on the Mazda Speed forums and you'll see enough mentions of 'f*ck Boi' 'f@g' and 'butt sekts' to make you question humanity...Those dudes know that car inside and out but my God it's like a frat house in there
So true. I just met with a bunch of them last weekend when traveling back home and nothing has changed. They are still grabbing wieners every chance they get. But those kids do know their cars very well.. mostly because they break them rather often. haha!

I have a 2012 that is a bit rough and quick to drop a gear but I love it. Not sure if an update is even available but I love the aggressiveness of it. I'd rather that than a lazy trans.

I think I've mentioned it before, but my fiance gives me the "whatcha doooin?" look every once in awhile when it aggressively gears down and launches us forward when cruising at 25-35 mph. I don't even make eye contact when I reply "wasn't me"
Mine drives the car 50% of the time so there is an 'understanding' on how the auto works. haha. Initially I was definitely getting the look though.

Depending on how things turn out at the end of next month, I might be getting an ecutek tune. I'm reading a lot of positives for the auto so hoping to make it quite a bit more responsive while squeezing out a few extra ponies (not holding my breath on that one though as I know these engines don't have much extra juice left in them without fi).

Last edited by kiseliok; 07-22-2017 at 09:47 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-21-2017, 11:29 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
That's legit. My last 2 cars i got tuned pretty much just for the transmission tweaks. A few extra ponies was just a bonus
Old 07-23-2017, 11:43 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kiseliok
Mine drives the car 50% of the time so there is an 'understanding' on how the auto works. haha. Initially I was definitely getting the look though.

Depending on how things turn out at the end of next month, I might be getting an ecutek tune. I'm reading a lot of positives for the auto so hoping to make it quite a bit more responsive while squeezing out a few extra ponies (not holding my breath on that one though as I know these engines don't have much extra juice left in them without fi).
I've heard the tune cleans them up as well. Friend of mine worked at aam and when I mentioned the auto shift "issues" he just brushed it of and said after a tune that will be a thing of the past. Said every customer they had come through there was amazed at the improvement. Should mention those tunes weren't done at aam but by another tuner in the area but the consensus is, while squeezing only a few horses from the VQ, the shift points and responsiveness of the trans is the real reason to get tuned up.
The following users liked this post:
kiseliok (07-23-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 05:16 PM
kroy
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Make sure the take the car in question to your trusted mechanic to do an inspection. Or do some research on the area and see if there's a shop that knows Z/G37 cars.

If you don't spot any major issues, most likely the car will be fine. I ended up with infiniti because I trusted Nissan to be reliable. I'm at 80K right now and my car is in great shape. No real issues since I purchased it at like 55.

One little issue, which is my 7AT shifts kinda clunky every once in a blue moon. I've heard a lot of other people post about this issue as well. Most all of us have gotten TSB update and tranny flush too. The clunky shift feels like an inexperienced person driving manual type shift.

Overall I would recommend this platform because of it's reliability.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:45 PM
filipinoy

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Some people don't drive very far. I have a 2010 and 52,000 miles on it.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:35 PM
pymartin964

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMHO, owner count is minor compared to mileage which falls below overall condition as the most important. Get an inspection from someone trusted and if possible, a solid warranty. And you tend to get what you pay for.

Good luck!
Old 08-06-2017, 09:38 PM
pymartin964

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And I forgot to mention that a strong maintenance history is another great thing to have.

Again, good luck!