Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Need Opinions on My G37s sedan 6MT Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 12:49 AM
aguyfromnyc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need Opinions on My G37s sedan 6MT Purchase

Im looking into purchasing a 2010 G37S 6MT.. I dont know what it's really worth buying for.. would appreciate some feedback.

My first car was a fully loaded 2011 G37XS (leased while in NY) = loved the car. After the lease was up, I moved to Arizona and bought/sold a few cars, found a 2007 G35S 6MT and fell in love with it. I got rid of it when I came back to NY, due to the fact that the value was higher there and I figured the 6MT would be a bit frustrating to drive in the NYC traffic... Fast forward a bit, I have been missing the drive and have been looking for a G37S Sedan 6MT for sometime now.. many were poorly maintained, salvaged, or way too high in milage.

Today, I went to go check out a fully loaded 2010 G37S 6MT.. the car is clean, very well maintained, just under 60k miles, 2 owners and has a great services record. Now for those of you that drove the 6-speed sedan know that it has a very aggressive gearbox. With that said, do you think the NYC roads will be challenging to drive on? and I want to know what people think this car is worth in todays market, what it will be worth in the next year or two (averaging about 8k miles a year), and what its worth buying for?

I know these are rare to come by, even rarer in good condition, but I clearly dont want to overpay.. because at the end it's a car (and i dont want to hear "oh if its just a car to you dont get it.. It's not just a car.." and all that bs).

Attached are images of the 2 Infiniti's I have had in the past and the one I'm looking to purchase.
(all cars were/are slightly modded.. but I dont think disclosing the mods will give me a more accurate price on my new purchase)

My 2011 G37XS 7/AT Sedan

My 2007 G35S 6MT Sedan

The 2010 G37S 6MT Sedan I want to Purchase

I really appreciate your time and thanks in advance for any advice, comments, and/or ideas.

Last edited by aguyfromnyc; 04-25-2017 at 02:40 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:57 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Welcome to the site, I'd shoot a PM (private message) to Rochester, he's in NY, has a 6MT sedan and would be a good one to ask if no one else chimes in. Nice current 37 you have and diggin' the 35 too!
Old 04-25-2017, 01:48 AM
aguyfromnyc

Thanks buddy - I will definitely try to reach out to Rochester. Really appreciate your guidance.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:50 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Welcome to the site, I'd shoot a PM (private message) to Rochester, he's in NY, has a 6MT sedan and would be a good one to ask if no one else chimes in. Nice current 37 you have and diggin' the 35 too!
I'm in Rochester, not NYC. Not even remotely the same thing, you midwestern goombah. The OP has all kinds of traffic, crappy roads and super aggressive drivers. It's not like that here. More like a 20 mile radius of suburbs, nestled in the woods, with a city in the middle.

The OP reached out to me for advice. My recommendation is if you're going to drive the 6MT G37 in a place like NYC, don't get anything larger than 19" rims. And get the RJM Pedal ASAP, so the car is more driveable than otherwise.

Here's the thing... the OP is all hung up on cost and resale value, and seems to be operating on a thin budget. IMO, that's not where you want to be when buying a niche car with plans to mod. The heart wants what the heart wants, but at some point practicality has to rule.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:01 AM
aguyfromnyc

Originally Posted by Rochester
I'm in Rochester, not NYC. Not even remotely the same thing, you midwestern goombah. The OP has all kinds of traffic, crappy roads and super aggressive drivers. It's not like that here. More like a 20 mile radius of suburbs, nestled in the woods, with a city in the middle.

The OP reached out to me for advice. My recommendation is if you're going to drive the 6MT G37 in a place like NYC, don't get anything larger than 19" rims. And get the RJM Pedal ASAP, so the car is more driveable than otherwise.

Here's the thing... the OP is all hung up on cost and resale value, and seems to be operating on a thin budget. IMO, that's not where you want to be when buying a niche car with plans to mod. The heart wants what the heart wants, but at some point practicality has to rule.
Thanks Rochester, really appreciate the honesty. Will definitely get on that RJM pedal if I go ahead with he purchase, did some research on it last night. And as for the price, can't seem to find a standard price for it, so I dont know if 16k is a lot or a good price for the 2010 G37 6MT with 60k miles.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:19 AM
Rochester
Administrator

That '07 was a fine looking car. Shame you ditched it.

That '10 has been debadged, and has an aftermarket exhaust. Odds are the second owner had a more than typical interest in his car, and all that implies both good and bad. Tips look like Stillen, or maybe the Tanabe axle-back.

Unless that's a trick of the light against a black interior... as of four months ago, window tint will fail NYS Inspection. Nothing you can do but accept that as a fact.

$16k for a 7 year old 6MT Sedan with 60K miles... seems fair to me.

Find out if the CSC has been replaced. It's a known point of failure on these cars, and a $1500 dealership repair.

2012 was the year that Infiniti redesigned gasket material for the rear timing chain cover, also a known and expensive point of failure.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:24 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
The fact that you're even asking this makes me think the answer to your question is "yes".
Old 04-25-2017, 10:49 AM
aguyfromnyc

Originally Posted by Rochester
That '07 was a fine looking car. Shame you ditched it.

That '10 has been debadged, and has an aftermarket exhaust. Odds are the second owner had a more than typical interest in his car, and all that implies both good and bad. Tips look like Stillen, or maybe the Tanabe axle-back.

Unless that's a trick of the light against a black interior... as of four months ago, window tint will fail NYS Inspection. Nothing you can do but accept that as a fact.

$16k for a 7 year old 6MT Sedan with 60K miles... seems fair to me.

Find out if the CSC has been replaced. It's a known point of failure on these cars, and a $1500 dealership repair.

2012 was the year that Infiniti redesigned gasket material for the rear timing chain cover, also a known and expensive point of failure.

He got the car off of a lease and he works at Infiniti and had the car regularly maintained at the Infiniti dealership. "Transmission has less than 20k miles on it" - He had it replaced under warranty when he purchased the car.

Current Mods on the car
Enkei springs
Camber kit (within factory specs)
H&R Trak + Wheel Spacers (25mm front 20mm rear)
GTR Start button
Tanabe medallion axel back exhaust
Takeda cold air intake
Led interior lights
Old 04-25-2017, 10:54 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Sounds good. Buy it.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:32 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Yeah, that list of mods is from quality brands and nothing drastic that will have a negative impact on the drive. Sounds like the price is significantly better now as those upgrades would seem like something you'd be doing anyway looking at your past Gs. About $2k in updates give or take (not including any install labor)
Old 08-16-2017, 02:17 PM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Did you end up purchasing her?