Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

My new G37S

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 01:28 AM
PDG
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
My new G37S

Recently bought a blue slate 2012 G37 Journey with the sport package and 50k miles. The Infiniti packages were rather confusing, but was able to figure it out thanks to this site.

Had my mechanic look it over and they confirmed it is in great shape. It also has new tires and a lot of brake pad left. There are a few scratches, but that's expected with a 5 year old car.

The car is great to drive. Powerful, smooth, comfortable. I like how the car looks rather unassuming, yet is very quick. The sport suspension is just about perfect in my book. Firm, but not annoying. It also handles very confidently. There is nothing about the performance on the car that needs improving for my purposes.

I also think these cars represent a good value considering they are only about 10% more expensive than an equivalent age and mileage Accord/Camry, yet way nicer to drive.

I don't like the wheels, I find them rather ugly. However, I am probably too cheap to replace them. I also don't care for the very light interior color as keeping it clean is going to be a bit of a pain. But low mileage Journey sedans with the sport package aren't very common around here, and this car was priced right. The majority of Gs around here at Xs. So, I'll live with it.

Only mods planned are tint, a hitch for my bike rack, and maybe new mufflers as I would like a little more exhaust note. However, I am not interested in paying the money for or dealing with a loud cat back. On that note, it seems the Tanabe axle-back is the best option for me, but am open to other options that may be suggested.

Last edited by PDG; 03-06-2017 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Photos
Old 03-06-2017, 08:29 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Welcome to the site, congrats on finding one with the sport pkg
Now many around here are fans of those wheels but they clear the big calipers so there's that.
Enjoy it!
Old 03-06-2017, 08:32 AM
kennyz424

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,271 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the G! I'm one of the few who like the "duckfeet" wheels especially with a drop!
Old 03-06-2017, 09:58 AM
r2dmax

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
I agree, the Duckfeet are very ugly.

You have a beautiful car there! I avoided that interior like the plague though. I had a beige interior in my Mercedes before this and it was a bear to keep clean. I regularly carry 4 people in my cars. My wife chose the taupe-ish interior for her S60 and again, TOOO hard to keep clean. Shows the dyes from jeans, sweaters, etc.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:20 PM
PDG
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by r2dmax
You have a beautiful car there! I avoided that interior like the plague though. I had a beige interior in my Mercedes before this and it was a bear to keep clean. I regularly carry 4 people in my cars. My wife chose the taupe-ish interior for her S60 and again, TOOO hard to keep clean. Shows the dyes from jeans, sweaters, etc.
I rarely wear jeans as I don't find them comfortable (either slacks or Carhartts), but the wife does wear jeans. I have bought some leather cleaning wipes that I keep in the car and plan to use frequently. I am hoping if I wipe the drivers seat down weekly it will stay clean. We shall see. Fortunately the back seat will rarely be used. We have a 2012 Pathfinder for kid hauling, towing, camping, junk moving, etc.

I did just receive Infiniti OEM splash guards I ordered. Hoping to get them installed this week.

I have also been checking the for sale forum and Craigslist from time to time for used wheels. If I find a good deal I may go for it. Is there any way of knowing ahead of time if an 18 inch aftermarket wheel will clear the sport brakes? Or is it a trial and error sort of thing?

Last edited by PDG; 03-07-2017 at 07:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-08-2017, 08:51 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
The Akebono calipers are pretty fat (not long and narrow like the bigger 6 pot calipers), similar to the big Brembos on Dodge SRTs so finding 18s that clear can be tough. You can tape these templates to some cardboard to take when looking at wheels. Also posting what wheels you're looking at might help as somebody here might have them on their S model.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...templates.html