Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Back up camera problems / black screen

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 03:38 PM
Sfcali

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back up camera problems / black screen

Just bought a 2012 g37 journey sedan(salvage car that got rear ended) when putting in reverse a black screen comes on not showing any thing but the guide lines. The owner claimed it works it just wasn't connected that he didn't have the tools (assumed the camera had to be replaced but he was just bull****ing ) so I wanted to know where's the wiring or connections I can check to see if it really isn't connect or if I need to replace it . - jay
Old 01-31-2017, 07:30 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,260 Likes on 1,021 Posts
You will have to remove the interior panel from the trunk lid- very easy, just some push clips and the trunk release handle. The connector for the camera is white and has 4 wires: red, black, white, and yellow. If the camera has to be replaced the chrome trim has to be removed- again, fairly easy but be careful as the plastic "chrome" warps easily. Don't ask how I know..... The whole process took me less than one hour start to finish.

Hope some of this helps.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:51 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Literally just did this. Went to wrap my chrome spoiler and noticed I didn't have enough material...Anyway, forgot to plug the camera and trunk release switch back in when I put it back on. Just need to pop the clips off with a screw driver.

Here you go:

DIY: OE G37 sedan trunk spoiler install - G35Driver

https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...iler-pics.html
Old 02-02-2017, 02:36 AM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
good luck but i would say the odds of the connector being disconnected is very slim since you stated this was a salvaged vehicle that was in a rear end accident. more than likely you may have a busted camera or perhaps even damage to the wiring or its connector.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:57 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
My camera went out and was just showing the guide lines. Dealer said there was dirt/debris in one of the connectors. They cleaned it up and wrapped it with electric tape. Worked fine after that.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:02 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Exactly what mine did. Even unplugged the lines show - screen is just blank. Good to hear that it is functioning
Old 02-02-2017, 12:49 PM
Sfcali

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
You will have to remove the interior panel from the trunk lid- very easy, just some push clips and the trunk release handle. The connector for the camera is white and has 4 wires: red, black, white, and yellow. If the camera has to be replaced the chrome trim has to be removed- again, fairly easy but be careful as the plastic "chrome" warps easily. Don't ask how I know..... The whole process took me less than one hour start to finish.

Hope some of this helps.

Thanks man sounds pretty simple I'll give it a try this weekend, are there any connections to the transmission? I read some where that there's a sensor when you put it in reverse
Old 02-02-2017, 12:52 PM
Sfcali

Originally Posted by crookncastle
good luck but i would say the odds of the connector being disconnected is very slim since you stated this was a salvaged vehicle that was in a rear end accident. more than likely you may have a busted camera or perhaps even damage to the wiring or its connector.
yeah that's what I'm kinda expecting but hoping it's really not connected. I seen a used camera on CL for $40 so it's no to bad.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:54 PM
Sfcali

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
My camera went out and was just showing the guide lines. Dealer said there was dirt/debris in one of the connectors. They cleaned it up and wrapped it with electric tape. Worked fine after that.
Originally Posted by RMB5190
Exactly what mine did. Even unplugged the lines show - screen is just blank. Good to hear that it is functioning
hopefully the ******* I bought it from is telling the truth lol n I fix it that easily, I have pretty dark tints kinda annoying putting it in reverse a seeing a dark screen