Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Speeding Tickets

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 11:34 PM
dlyte1534

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Speeding Tickets

Hey guys i'm in the process of getting a G37x I have a 25x yes i know big mistake but I'm curious about the speed of the car. I drove the q50 and didn't enjoy it it'seems definitely a bland feeling car even tho its beautiful. My question is the speed of the car hard to keep under the speed limit? I want more power but I don't want speeding tickets for when I don't need the power. Also how bad is the tranny because despite the g25 being underpowered it has a smooth shifting tranny. Feed back please.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:44 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 558 Likes on 390 Posts
This is a bit of an odd question. Once you familiarize with the car, just use a combination of the gas pedal, brake pedal, and speedometer to keep the car at the speed you desire it's not any different than any other car. I definitely find myself "accidentally" speeding much more in my BMW than the G37. The transmission isn't great, but tolerable. It shifts slow and the automatic transmission typically feels confused.

Last edited by Ryne; 03-31-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:49 PM
dlyte1534

Originally Posted by Ryne
This is a bit of an odd question. Once you familiarize with the car, just use a combination of the gas pedal, brake pedal, and speedometer to keep the car at the speed you desire it's not any different than any other caar. I definitely find myself "accidentally" speeding much more in my BMW than the G37. The transmission isn't great, but tolerable. It shifts slow and the automatic transmission typically feels confused.
I appreciate your reply for clarity when i drove the q50 I found myself having a hard time keeping the speed of the car under city speed limits so I had to put the car in eco mode a lot of thirsty cops in my area so being that the g37 doesn't have that option I was curious thank u for the reply.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:01 AM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Originally Posted by dlyte1534
I appreciate your reply for clarity when i drove the q50 I found myself having a hard time keeping the speed of the car under city speed limits so I had to put the car in eco mode a lot of thirsty cops in my area so being that the g37 doesn't have that option I was curious thank u for the reply.
Well relative to the G25, we are talking about a significant power increase. I think in time, you will adjust according to the car. You will go from being surprised by the power, to wondering how to make it faster, in no time.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:05 AM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
I used to get my share of speeding tickets in my youth (I’m 80 now.) but haven’t had one in 30 years. I learned the hard way to take advantage of the following:

• Stay in the flow of traffic
• Avoid sudden lane changes
• Look for cops entering and exiting freeways
• If your car is red, have it re-painted
• Make the rear-view mirror your best friend, especially at night
The following 2 users liked this post by Chekov:
Dreams of Steel (01-25-2017), telcoman (01-24-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 12:07 AM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Originally Posted by Chekov
I used to get my share of speeding tickets in my youth (I’m 80 now.) but haven’t had one in 30 years. I learned the hard way to take advantage of the following:

• Stay in the flow of traffic
• Avoid sudden lane changes
• Look for cops entering and exiting freeways
• If your car is red, have it re-painted
• Make the rear-view mirror your best friend, especially at night
  • Get a reputable radar detector. (Nothing is a guarantee, but this is a good resource.)

I don't have a radar detector so I can drive recklessly, I just want additional situational awareness and a fair shot.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:13 AM
dlyte1534

taking done all these notes guys thanks. I have beeno reading about the tranny behaving so badly on the 37. I'm not sure what my experience will are there updates on it? any suggestions on that as well?
Old 01-23-2017, 01:01 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
We have a honda accord 4 cyl in the household. I don't drive it often, but do on occasion. 330 hp vs 180. I have no problem transitioning from one to the other then back to the first. I suppose at first you should use the speedometer to keep speed in check. After a while you develop a feel and know about how fast you're going. Now granted, some vehicles feel faster or slower then they're actually going. This is usually the case with bigger vehicles or those more softly damped.

I didn't care much for the g37x as it felt too soft for my preference, more luxury than responsive. Feedback from the road seemed numbed. The S has a stiffer suspension and summer only tires which provides more feedback and feel.

Just be careful the first few times driving and you'll be fine.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:05 AM
The Pope
Registered Member

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts
* Cruse Control <--Use it whenever possible
Old 01-23-2017, 07:37 PM
dlyte1534

does using snow mode help?
Old 01-24-2017, 10:52 AM
kiseliok
G37 Community Team

Received 169 Likes on 151 Posts
I love how nice everyone is on here.. My first thought after reading the op was - we are getting trolled. And very poorly, I must say.

Here are my suggestions (I'll use my freedom of speech until Thump takes it away):
1. Get a bicycle. Yep, that simple, no more speeding, problem solved. Boom!
2. Get a GED. I'm guessing you don't have one, since you don't know how to read your speedometer.
3. Give all your money to the city / state so you are monetarily unable to purchase a vehicle - no car = no speeding. Although paying all those speeding fines, you seem to be well on the way already.
4. Rob a corner store and get caught. I hear a few nights in jail can change a person.

That should give you a good start. And don't forget to have fun with it!
Old 01-24-2017, 04:17 PM
z 2 g
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I always thought that a speeding ticket was were the freeway ended and the toll road started.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:02 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryne
  • Get a reputable radar detector. (Nothing is a guarantee, but this is a good resource.)

I don't have a radar detector so I can drive recklessly, I just want additional situational awareness and a fair shot.
Don't enter Virginia with one. They are illegal
If you get pulled over for speeding in excess of 80 MPH you can be charged with reckless driving and possibly wind up in jail and lose your vehicle
The OP better learn how to drive safely or use Uber.

Telcoman
Old 01-25-2017, 04:10 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Originally Posted by telcoman
Don't enter Virginia with one. They are illegal If you get pulled over for speeding in excess of 80 MPH you can be charged with reckless driving and possibly wind up in jail and lose your vehicle The OP better learn how to drive safely or use Uber. Telcoman
I don't foresee myself that Far East with my personal vehicle in the near future. I appreciate the advice though.
The following users liked this post:
telcoman (01-26-2017)