Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Analyzing all G37 suspension options and their practicality.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 12:21 PM
giveherthatG
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Analyzing all G37 suspension options and their practicality.

Hey everyone,

So I spent like an hour on the forums just researching for my G37xS sedan. Now I didn't exactly find what I want but I founded pieces here and there.

Now what I want is to lower my G JUST A BIT to remove some of that wheel gap when I put on my 15mm spacers. Now I have questions about the suspensions.

Heres the kicker: I live in Toronto, Ontario and the winter this year has been pretty brutal in terms of snow.

1. Swift springs - people are raving about this springs and most people are happy to have these and some are not. What I want is not to sacrifice ride quality. People are saying swift springs after a while start to ride like crap blah blah blah... I wonder if thats cause the lowering springs are damaging the stock struts/shocks because its not made to be that low. I am considering a spring set up instead of shelling out coin for coilovers.

2. Coilovers - Now most people on the forums suggest that BC coilovers are the best option for the G AWD sedan. Now, I'm sold on the fact that they are height adjustable and have dampening settings and what not... but what makes me double think is that.... People claim that salt DESTROYS coilovers. They try to prevent rust by using chemical sprays, plastidip and tape or whatever. Some even say the threads are stainless steel and fine as is. The other thing is that I only want a modest drop, not a SLAMMED. I'm the function over form guy.

Now what do you guys think about a lowered G37 sedan AWD in the snow. Is it worth all that extra coin just to remove a little wheel gap. Some like the aesthetics of the car but if you think about it, how much easier/harder has it become for you in terms of spending and driving?

Thanks for reading guys!
Pictures and links are welcome!!
Old 12-24-2016, 01:14 PM
The Pope
Registered Member

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts
Interesting questions ...... I'm new to Infiniti, so I'll just sit back and see what input others have, as I'm kinda on the same path as you are.
Old 12-24-2016, 04:09 PM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by giveherthatG
Hey everyone,

So I spent like an hour on the forums just researching for my G37xS sedan. Now I didn't exactly find what I want but I founded pieces here and there.

Now what I want is to lower my G JUST A BIT to remove some of that wheel gap when I put on my 15mm spacers. Now I have questions about the suspensions.

Heres the kicker: I live in Toronto, Ontario and the winter this year has been pretty brutal in terms of snow.

1. Swift springs - people are raving about this springs and most people are happy to have these and some are not. What I want is not to sacrifice ride quality. People are saying swift springs after a while start to ride like crap blah blah blah... I wonder if thats cause the lowering springs are damaging the stock struts/shocks because its not made to be that low. I am considering a spring set up instead of shelling out coin for coilovers.

2. Coilovers - Now most people on the forums suggest that BC coilovers are the best option for the G AWD sedan. Now, I'm sold on the fact that they are height adjustable and have dampening settings and what not... but what makes me double think is that.... People claim that salt DESTROYS coilovers. They try to prevent rust by using chemical sprays, plastidip and tape or whatever. Some even say the threads are stainless steel and fine as is. The other thing is that I only want a modest drop, not a SLAMMED. I'm the function over form guy.

Now what do you guys think about a lowered G37 sedan AWD in the snow. Is it worth all that extra coin just to remove a little wheel gap. Some like the aesthetics of the car but if you think about it, how much easier/harder has it become for you in terms of spending and driving?

Thanks for reading guys!
Pictures and links are welcome!!
1. Okay swift springs are the best springs you can get because they are as close to oem feel and don't really need camber kits after you install them. I'm on swift springs (rwd) and I don't mind the ride is firmer and feels more planted to the road and rides smooth

2.Stance Coilovers are the best option for awd because BC has known issues with sounds with the X G's so best bet is stance coilovers

Here's my rwd sedan on swift
Attached Thumbnails Analyzing all G37 suspension options and their practicality.-photo623.jpg  
Old 12-24-2016, 04:24 PM
giveherthatG
Registered Member

Looks dope man! Thanks for your input! How long have you had them on?
Old 12-24-2016, 04:51 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Swift springs are fantastic. I've had them for years and the ride quality does not deteriorate, if you think about it that doesn't even make logical sense. Do OEM or other springs' ride quality get worse over time? No, they don't. What could happen is that cheap people put shorter stiffer springs on a car without upgrading or even replacing their 60K mile OEM dampers and it accelerates their demise. That is a possibility that could cause ride quality to get worse. I installed my Swift springs along with a set of Koni yellow adjustable dampers and the ride is great (sportier than stock but not the slightest bit harsh or jarring) and has been for several years. They are a mild drop that fixes fender gap but leaves the car at a very manageable daily driver height. I can recommend this setup as being better than the vast majority of coilovers IMO other than the higher end more expensive sets. I took coilovers off of the car for the Swift/Koni setup and haven't looked back. I can confidently recommend this route as a cheaper and better (IMO) setup for what you want. The quality of the springs and dampers in most coilover sets isn't particularly very good.

However, I have RWD, not an X. Also, I don't have to deal with any winter issues as it is 81 degrees F here on Christmas Eve where I live.
Old 12-24-2016, 05:44 PM
giveherthatG
Registered Member

Im gonna need you to educate me here... So are the dampeners, the rear shocks? If so. Then I would picture the set up as swift springs in the front with oem struts and swift springs on the back with the dampeners? p.s. i just got my g37 and im still learning
Old 12-24-2016, 06:06 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
It's dampers, just another term for shock absorbing cylinders. You have dampers on all 4 corners, the front are coilovers (springs integrated w/ the shock) and the rear are shocks separate from the springs. If you go coilovers I'd give a look at the KSport, and I would lean towards them over the BCs, and the Stance are another popular choice that gets good feedback. The Swifts have a nice even drop and on a smaller budget that would be a good choice. Keep in mind for most drops in the 1.25" or more you should get at least a rear camber/toe kit, and if you drop more than that the front aftermarket camber arms may be needed. The rear parts are about $150 and the front arms another $350. You will also need an alignment. Not a small chunk of change when it's all said and done, but you want to do it right the first time & not have wasted tires in short order.
Old 12-24-2016, 06:23 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
As Brad said, dampers refers to all 4 corners. Shocks in the rear and struts in the front. The difference being that struts are an integral part of the car's suspension (they hold weight) and shocks are not (the springs support the car's weight in the back).

My setup that I referred to is Swift springs on all 4 corners, and Koni struts in front, shocks in the back. I opted to go with the sedan application on a coupe because the spring rates are slightly softer for the sedan. Sedan and coupe suspension parts are interchangeable, at least on RWD cars. Don't know about AWD.
Old 12-24-2016, 06:47 PM
giveherthatG
Registered Member

Hmm interesting. It seems like coilovers are better in the long run. Springs plus Koni struts and shock set up would probably end up costing me 1k anyways, might as well put them towards some decent coilovers. Yea I always hear about BC, K Sport and Stance. I was looking at BC the other day, great set up. Now I came across these Neo motor sport basic blue coilovers, never heard of them and there aren't much reviews on them, but they're roughly $500 than the big three. Keep in mind, I'm just using the car as a DD.
Old 12-25-2016, 01:16 PM
kennyz424

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,271 Posts

2. Coilovers - Now most people on the forums suggest that BC coilovers are the best option for the G AWD sedan.
IDK where you read this but there's so MANY MANY horrible reviews about BC coilovers having their "infamous" rear clunking noise issue. For an awd G id recommend Fortune Auto 500 coilovers, I have them on my awd coupe and absolutley love them.
Old 12-26-2016, 08:44 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Swift lowering springs are the easiest most cost effective route for the AWD Sedan. The resulting gap is even front to back, and the drop is modest. Matched with 15mm or 20mm spacer adapters behind your 18" duckfeet, and it will look flush... OEM and not at all ricey. Odds are good that when you get the car aligned, the shop will be able to zero toe, while keeping neg camber on the straight side of -2*, without needing new arms.

With your OEM non-sport shocks, any improvement in handling will mostly just be in your head... unlike if you were to upgrade to coil-overs. But if your priority is on looks, Swifts are your answer.

So I spent like an hour on the forums just researching for my G37xS sedan.
Only an hour?

Last edited by Rochester; 12-26-2016 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:07 AM
giveherthatG
Registered Member

My concern is that swift springs on oem shocks / struts will make them wear faster... Im trying to have the oem stuff last as long as possible. Some argue coilovers wear down faster than oem shocks. So im leaning towards getting coilovers and have the oem parts set aside just in case... correct if im wrong.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:38 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
My concern is that swift springs on oem shocks / struts will make them wear faster...
Not in any way that really matters. And when they do eventually give out, it's not a problem to be avoided... it's an opportunity to upgrade.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
kennyz424 (12-26-2016), kiseliok (12-27-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 06:49 PM
giveherthatG
Registered Member

Anyone have any opinions on driving on swift springs in the snow? you are guys are being super helpful.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:42 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Being 1.5" lower (I believe that's about what the Swifts drop) shouldn't create much trouble, your lower bumper may become more of a plow if the snow is deeper but other than that it shouldn't create much trouble and having your AWD will get you though much of the stuff, especially w/ good snow tires.

If you plan to keep your G lowered for several years then return to stock to sell or trade it in then having your oem dampers without all those miles would be a plus.