Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Dont buy used rotors

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 11:33 AM
FPVJAY

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Dont buy used rotors

Bought some used rotors on here and im not gonna say who i bought them from but i just wanted to point out, even if there feedback score is good and some other guy told the seller to resell them because the rotors are good, it might be still a good idea to buy NEW.

i had them installed on my g37s 2013. infiniti happily charged me a buttload of money to put them on. I drove home and my car shook like a earthquake. NO JOKE! no exaggeration here. i hit the brakes at 60mph on the freeway to feel my new slotted/drilled rotors and nice sexy looks do its job and wah wah wah wah wah!! the whole car shook!!!

I went to midas emediately to have my stocks put back on. They put the slotted/drilled used ones on a rotor/turner....wow i wasnt surprised at all...these babies are warped. They also took a caliper and they were 5-7 thousandths off in high and low places.

To get to my point and moral of the story. Dont buy used rotors, buy new!

heres a vid of the sadness.

360.00 for 4 rotors installed infiniti
120.00 for midas to fix it
125.00 for the crap rotors

605.00 total to find out it was a complete waste of money.

FML!!

Old 04-25-2016, 11:43 AM
FPVJAY

Complete crap and went to the scrap hopper

Complete warped junk! Unbelievable ...I'm still pissed from Friday.
Attached Thumbnails Dont buy used rotors-image.jpeg  
Old 04-25-2016, 12:39 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
That's horrible news!
FWIW, I'd look into DIY the rotor install, it's a simple job, or if wrenching isn't your thing have a friend help out.
Sorry to hear of all that time & money wasted
Old 04-25-2016, 12:47 PM
VenomGT9
Registered Member

Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts
Ask seller for refund?
they may be willing to work something out.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:12 PM
FPVJAY

Originally Posted by VenomGT9
Ask seller for refund?
they may be willing to work something out.
me and the seller cant really do anything because his infiniti dealership told him the rotors are fine, so basically its not the sellers fault.

He trusted the dealer to say they were fine, and i trusted the seller here on myg37.

its sad, big time....but things happen i guess. The three techs at midas were amazed! They said infiniti techs know the car with drivetrain and motor, but when it comes to brakes, they are retards with brakes. I guess they are right.

and yes rotors are easy to install...i was going to do it my self but i dont have the necessary tools as i have moved to a apartment complex and dont have a garage nor lift as of right now.

gonna install the stillen gen 3 CAI this weekend. pretty stoked about that though!!
Old 04-25-2016, 09:08 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Did you buy the rotors from the dealership? If not, the seller is ultimately representing the product to be fit for its intended use.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:09 PM
FPVJAY

Originally Posted by Jsolo
Did you buy the rotors from the dealership? If not, the seller is ultimately representing the product to be fit for its intended use.
No I purchased the rotors used from a member on here.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:21 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Thats blows bad. Never buy used rotors. Never resurface rotors buy new. Theyre the life savers so dont cheap out!!
Old 04-25-2016, 09:24 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
It's really @ssbackward to just swap out rotors. You should be replacing pads and rotors. Used pads and used rotors make a terrible combination. I imagine you wouldn't be getting optimal braking with used pads, but they should not be pulsating.

Did your tech perform the same demonstration with you stock rotors to indicate they were true?

What happened to using a dial indicator tool to measure runout?
Old 04-26-2016, 01:36 AM
JeffG37x

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Not cool at all. I'd try to split the difference with the seller regardless. Not only did this cost you money but it cost you time and obviously driving with these on was not very safe.

When someone buys something from someone you buy it from that person. Doesn't matter if the seller got it from a dealership or found it on the ground .
Old 04-26-2016, 02:56 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
let this be a warning to anyone who buys used tyres, used suspension components, used brakes. besides the wheels the above are the most critical parts of the car. dont cut corners when it comes to these.

buy brand new, buy from reputable companies.

your life is more important than your savings by going used.
The following users liked this post:
j50ny (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 09:36 AM
FPVJAY

Originally Posted by Presto
let this be a warning to anyone who buys used tyres, used suspension components, used brakes. besides the wheels the above are the most critical parts of the car. dont cut corners when it comes to these.

buy brand new, buy from reputable companies.

your life is more important than your savings by going used.
Well said. I don't think the seller on here will give me a dime because he already spent a ton to ship steel. He never knew shipping the front rotors we're 60 bucks
And shipping the rears 70 bucks.

So he blew his money and I blew my money. To ask him for a partial refund I feel bad about it because I know he's aggrivated from the start on shipping.

Maybe that was gods way of returning the karma from the BS I had to go through. In the end and at the end of the day we both got royally and totally fukked!

I'm just glad the earthquake shaking these rotors caused didn't ruin my car or cause a crash. I changed them as quick as possible.

Again lesson learned , no used anything anymore in the classifieds.

I hope the seller reads this and goes and kicks that retard at Infiniti in the nutz!

Also thank god my wife won't find out how much money I've wasted. She thinks all I got was pads done.

Last edited by FPVJAY; 04-26-2016 at 09:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Presto (04-27-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 11:33 AM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 558 Likes on 390 Posts
Originally Posted by FPVJAY
Well said. I don't think the seller on here will give me a dime because he already spent a ton to ship steel. He never knew shipping the front rotors we're 60 bucks
And shipping the rears 70 bucks.

So he blew his money and I blew my money. To ask him for a partial refund I feel bad about it because I know he's aggrivated from the start on shipping.

Maybe that was gods way of returning the karma from the BS I had to go through. In the end and at the end of the day we both got royally and totally fukked!

I'm just glad the earthquake shaking these rotors caused didn't ruin my car or cause a crash. I changed them as quick as possible.

Again lesson learned , no used anything anymore in the classifieds.

I hope the seller reads this and goes and kicks that retard at Infiniti in the nutz!

Also thank god my wife won't find out how much money I've wasted. She thinks all I got was pads done.
I've shipped rotors before and I don't see how shipping 4 rotors would cost $130.

I just shipped two tires yesterday through FedEx with insurance, basically a 30"x30"x20" package weighing a touch over 50 pounds and it was $70...
Old 04-26-2016, 11:41 AM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts
the fact that people even post used rotors and pads for sale blows my mind. I would take my chances buying rotors and pads off ebay before buying used ones.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:06 PM
FPVJAY

You guys have great points.
Yes it did cost 137 dollars to ship. New Jersey to Houston Texas. These rotors are heavy as hell.

He shoulda used UPS or FedEx instead of the post office. Heavy stuff is for the big guys. Light and small use USPS.
Attached Thumbnails Dont buy used rotors-image.jpeg  

Quick Reply: Dont buy used rotors