Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

New G37 owner, couple questions feedback

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 12:05 AM
dan428

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question New G37 owner, couple questions feedback

Hey guys, I recently purchased a 2011 G37 Journey sedan with premium package (nav). It's got illuminated kickplates and tinted windows all around (really dark, maybe illegal?).

Good condition, 73k miles.. I paid $17.5k to dealer for it. I thought I got a pretty good deal at the time since they were asking $21k for it and there is so much demand for these cars. What do you guys think? Financed at 3%.

Anyway I love the car but I also was considering an Acura TL SHAWD around the same price. I loved the burgandy leather in that car.

I've been lurking these forums over the past month while I was car shopping and I've seen a lot of good advice. I wanted to add shift paddles but it looks like they're going for over $400 now?!

Couple issues with the car I noticed so far is an initial musty smell from A/C at first so I swapped out a very dirty cabin filter and planning on doing a klima cleaner spray of evaporator core.

Other issue is with auto transmission being a bit weird with light acceleration. I found that there's a TSB fix for this that flashes the ECM, so I'm planning on doing it. Hopefully won't cost too much.

My MPG meter also goes up and down a lot while at steady speed.. is this normal? Wondering if there's a malfunctioning sensor.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:35 AM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Welcome. No help from me just saw the Tacoma nissan and thought id say his since im in Lakewood and just purchased my 13 IPL.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:58 AM
dan428

Originally Posted by PNW_IPL
Welcome. No help from me just saw the Tacoma nissan and thought id say his since im in Lakewood and just purchased my 13 IPL.
Oh nice I bet that's a fun car. I actually live in Seattle but I grew up in Tacoma!
Old 03-03-2016, 08:43 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Don't sweat the mpg bar graph, that thing will go from 8mpg up to 50 if you drive mountain roads, even around town that bar dances to it's own beat.

As far as the AT TSB, you might take it to the dealer, get a simple service like an oil change and mention the TSB, some better dealers will goodwill this sort of service. They will also be able to tell you if your AT has the most up to date TSB.

Welcome to the site BTW!
The following users liked this post:
dan428 (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 01:41 PM
dan428

Originally Posted by blnewt
Don't sweat the mpg bar graph, that thing will go from 8mpg up to 50 if you drive mountain roads, even around town that bar dances to it's own beat.

As far as the AT TSB, you might take it to the dealer, get a simple service like an oil change and mention the TSB, some better dealers will goodwill this sort of service. They will also be able to tell you if your AT has the most up to date TSB.

Welcome to the site BTW!
Yeah I just meant that it would seem to fluctuate while cruising at a constant speed in the same gear.. but might be normal. Thanks for the advice, I'm hoping they won't charge me full price for the patch (I've heard upwards of $200), I'll call them today, haven't been there yet. There's a bunch of Infiniti dealerships around here so maybe I can call around.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:05 PM
dan428

Does anyone know of a way to get the paddles kit for cheap?
Old 03-03-2016, 03:14 PM
kickintheglass
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts
Contact the vendor to see if a deal is still available:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/interio...s-instock.html

If not, used sets pop up in the private classifieds every now and then.
The following users liked this post:
dan428 (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 11:12 PM
kimmspeed
Premier Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
welcome. Not much help here on the paddles. I've owned cars with them and forgot they were there after a couple of weeks. But, I didn't track any of those.

Just a friendly hello here.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:46 AM
GreatLakeG37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dan428
Does anyone know of a way to get the paddles kit for cheap?
Just found some on amazon, I believe it is the same vendor as here

Amazon.com: Infiniti Nissan Genuine Factory Original OEM G35, G37 4DR-2DR OEM PADDLE SHIFTER KIT UPGRADE IN BLACK SPORT SHIFTERS: Automotive Amazon.com: Infiniti Nissan Genuine Factory Original OEM G35, G37 4DR-2DR OEM PADDLE SHIFTER KIT UPGRADE IN BLACK SPORT SHIFTERS: Automotive
Old 03-04-2016, 10:33 AM
dan428

Originally Posted by GreatLakeG37
Yeah but I was hoping to find it far below $400 otherwise it doesn't really seem worth it. In other news, I successfully used klima cleaner to spray the evaporator core in the car and it seems to have gotten rid of the musty vent smell that plagues a lot of cars! I also replaced interior lights with LEDs.

Met a neighbor with the same car and he recommended a new intake kit which he said gave him a huge power boost.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:03 AM
Selym
Registered Member

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Welcome! I used to spend a lot of time in Tacoma for work. I used to pass my time on the weekends exploring the mountain roads in the rental car.

That's a nice car! RWD Gs are rare in the Northeast; I figured the Northwest faced the same scarcity.

Myles
Old 03-04-2016, 11:07 AM
Selym
Registered Member

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by dan428
Met a neighbor with the same car and he recommended a new intake kit which he said gave him a huge power boost.
I have my doubts about that. However, you'll probably get a bit more sound from the intake.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:10 AM
dan428

Originally Posted by Selym
Welcome! I used to spend a lot of time in Tacoma for work. I used to pass my time on the weekends exploring the mountain roads in the rental car.

That's a nice car! RWD Gs are rare in the Northeast; I figured the Northwest faced the same scarcity.

Myles
Hey thanks yeah I should take it out on mountain roads in the warmer months. Indeed I specifically wanted RWD and it was a lot more difficult to find vs AWD versions. At the time I purchased the car there were only like 5 listings in all of Washington and Oregon! I really wanted one with the tech package too but that was impossible to find except for on a couple G35s initially.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:13 AM
dan428

Originally Posted by Selym
I have my doubts about that. However, you'll probably get a bit more sound from the intake.
I had my doubts too.. I told him I was surprised but he said it was a 25hp boost and that it actually felt more like 50HP and improved his gas mileage by 1mpg (he has AWD). It's a RAM air intake system around $600 according to him.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:51 AM
Mr.Moto

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Dan, Welcome to the forum from the distant land of Seattle X)
That's one clean looking G for sure! I've been looking to source some Paddle shifters as well, but with no luck. The new ones are ridiculously priced for sure. I ended up spending money on an aftermarket exhaust and some minor interior mods.

Quick Reply: New G37 owner, couple questions feedback