Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Decided to pull the trigger

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 03:48 PM
Saltman
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 29 Posts
Decided to pull the trigger

Greetings all. Just a brief intro to myself. I've been a member of several Nissan & 240sx forums, Honda forums, and bike forums (R6 and trackday forums). Now in my mid 30s, I feel like it's time to grow up and pull the trigger on a more refined car - yet something that still has that get-up-and-go to scratch my constant speed thrill itch. I'm coming back into the scene from a long hiatus with a Honda Accord. I literally had to plan ahead to do any passing in that car. Reliable... but sloooooow. I previously was BIG into the tuner scene with cars and then bikes and took a break for a while.

I'm currently looking at a 2012 G37S 6MT Sedan. It's red and my wife thinks it's too flashy but it's growing on me. It's been hard to find one that's a manual transmission around my area in the south. There was a white one for sale and I waited a day too late to go and look at it. They snapped it up fast! Anyways, I've been lurking and now I'm registered so I can chat and ask questions.

Now, let me start off with the typical noob first post question... what mods should I do first? JK I kidd, I kidd.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:08 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:14 PM
kennyz424

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,271 Posts
Welcome man! Stop waiting and go get your G so you can become an official family member lol
Old 02-24-2016, 04:16 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Nice intro! Hopefully you'll find just the S you're wanting.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:26 PM
DTInferno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Saltman,

Welcome to the forum. I'm on my 3rd G37x sedan, I leased the previous 2 and bought a '13 G37Xs 7AT, back in Sept. I installed Hotchkis anti-sway bars front and rear in Dec. and it was money well spent. It definitely makes the car easier to steer with the throttle on tight curves. Good luck and have fun!
Old 02-24-2016, 04:36 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
Red 6mt sedans are not easy to find.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:14 PM
kickintheglass
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts
6MT sedans are pretty rare in general. Good luck with the search!
Old 02-25-2016, 10:10 AM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
I reluctantly got the auto but have 2 other manual cars with a LOT more power so I settled and don't regret it at all. The autos shift super smooth and at the right points unlike most other cars.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:33 PM
VenomGT9
Registered Member

Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts
Wait for a white one in 6MT...the pearl is amazing
Old 02-25-2016, 08:21 PM
Saltman
Registered Member

Originally Posted by VenomGT9
Wait for a white one in 6MT...the pearl is amazing
Well I went to buy it today but the dealer said their prices are fixed and could not negotiate. As it stands, it's more than I wanted to pay OTD and had a little more mileage than I was looking for. I reluctantly backed out and walked away at the last minute. Plus the paint had ALOT of chips in it. I've read that the paint on these cars aren't the best but with the way it looked now, I'd have to get a new paint job. I saw a lot of money being spent BEFORE mods just to be Ok with the car stock. Hard choice to make. I'm still on the lookout though. There's a silver 2010 for a decent price 4 hours away. Has more mileage, but good price. I saw that the pre 2012 models didn't come with something metal? Something with the Serpentine belts? Timing chain? I'll have to look again, but due to that I wanted to try and stick with 2012/2013. Hopefully I'll run across a deal.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:28 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Saltman
Well I went to buy it today but the dealer said their prices are fixed and could not negotiate. As it stands, it's more than I wanted to pay OTD and had a little more mileage than I was looking for. I reluctantly backed out and walked away at the last minute. Plus the paint had ALOT of chips in it. I've read that the paint on these cars aren't the best but with the way it looked now, I'd have to get a new paint job. I saw a lot of money being spent BEFORE mods just to be Ok with the car stock. Hard choice to make. I'm still on the lookout though. There's a silver 2010 for a decent price 4 hours away. Has more mileage, but good price. I saw that the pre 2012 models didn't come with something metal? Something with the Serpentine belts? Timing chain? I'll have to look again, but due to that I wanted to try and stick with 2012/2013. Hopefully I'll run across a deal.
It's the rear timing case cover gasket that's been problematic, 2012+ won't have that issue.
Good luck w/ your continued search, also don't forget to look at the ones for sale here~
G's FS - MyG37
Old 03-03-2016, 08:46 PM
Saltman
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Saltman
Guess I should have stayed off the forums. Went back and bought it!

Already ordered the clutch spring and some weather mats to keep it fresh. Tint appt tomorrow and trying to decide now between buying some coup wheels tomorrow or using that money for swift springs, sway bars and interior (diode kit, stainless *****, gtr map light, etc). One BIG purchase or several small upgrades at once?

Old 03-03-2016, 09:17 PM
kennyz424

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,271 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS ON THE BEAUTIFUL CAR AND PULLING THE TRIGGER!!! You're an official member now! I'd do many small mods and save up for a nice set of wheels bc even with coupe wheels you're going to want to drop it so get that out of the way first...but again that's just my opinion lol. And from that one picture I don't see any issues at all on the paint?
Old 03-04-2016, 06:10 PM
Saltman
Registered Member

Originally Posted by kennyz424
CONGRATULATIONS ON THE BEAUTIFUL CAR AND PULLING THE TRIGGER!!! You're an official member now! I'd do many small mods and save up for a nice set of wheels bc even with coupe wheels you're going to want to drop it so get that out of the way first...but again that's just my opinion lol. And from that one picture I don't see any issues at all on the paint?
Here is a closeup pic. It's only very noticeable up close. But my detail guy says that they can buff it out for me. I don't have much knowledge on paint repair so I hope he's right, but looks like those chips are down to the base or metal and the paint looks super thin. I'm seriously considering a clear bra whenever it gets fixed. But I'll take it by to be buffed soon and we'll see.

Chips in paint

Here's some more pics after the wash and wax today in my backyard playground that I hope to tear around soon in the new ride...

Old 03-04-2016, 07:12 PM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Congrats! Looks great...

Quick Reply: Decided to pull the trigger