Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

New to the board, looking for a G37X

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 11:39 PM
Dman25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to the board, looking for a G37X

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the board but not new to car forums =)

I am looking to get into a low mileage G37x soon. If anyone has any hints or any for sale let me know =) Been looking at the usual places (CL, EBAY, Autotrader, Cars) not tooo much luck for a good price low mileage car.

This will be my second Japanese car and was curious to the reliability of this model with the AWD? Any major concerns or maintance I should be aware of to the AWD system. This will also be my first AWD car.

I had a 01 Eclipse Spyder for about 2 years full of problems but my Jap bike has been great!

For the last decade or so I've been driving around and SVT Lightning, SVT Focus, and a CBR1000RR. Looking to add to the stable with the AWD G37!

Hoping to post a pic soon =)

Cheers,
Damien
Old 09-24-2015, 12:20 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Welcome to the site Damien, sounds like some fun rides you've had
G/L with your search, should find something w/ your name on it
Brad
Old 09-24-2015, 02:54 AM
Dman25

Originally Posted by blnewt
Welcome to the site Damien, sounds like some fun rides you've had
G/L with your search, should find something w/ your name on it
Brad
Thanks! Trust me the hunt is on!
Old 09-24-2015, 08:35 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Dman25
Any major concerns or maintance I should be aware of to the AWD system. This will also be my first AWD car.
rotate your tires ~ 7500 miles to distribute wear. if you need to replace a tire that is not close to new, you'll need to replace all four with the same make/model tire -different rolling diameter tires will screw up your drivetrain. if you need towed, request a flatbed.

For the last decade or so I've been driving around and SVT Lightning, SVT Focus, and a CBR1000RR. Looking to add to the stable with the AWD G37!
based on your previous selections, you might want to get the sport package (G37xS) - you get a LOT with it - LSD, sport seats, brakes, suspension, nicer (IMHO) front bumper, paddle shifters, 19" wheels and i believe a faster steering ratio.
The following users liked this post:
Dman25 (09-24-2015)
Old 09-24-2015, 01:02 PM
Dman25

Originally Posted by Landshark
rotate your tires ~ 7500 miles to distribute wear. if you need to replace a tire that is not close to new, you'll need to replace all four with the same make/model tire -different rolling diameter tires will screw up your drivetrain. if you need towed, request a flatbed.

based on your previous selections, you might want to get the sport package (G37xS) - you get a LOT with it - LSD, sport seats, brakes, suspension, nicer (IMHO) front bumper, paddle shifters, 19" wheels and i believe a faster steering ratio.
I usually rotate my tires every other oil change anyways so that's easy. Thanks for that extra info though so appreciated!

And i didnt know much of the difference between the regular and the S, so ill try to look for an S. just what ever comes up for the right price you know =)

Thanks again. I love forums!
Old 09-24-2015, 01:28 PM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
And i didnt know much of the difference between the regular and the S, so ill try to look for an S. just what ever comes up for the right price you know =)

Thanks again. I love forums!
i didn't know about the Sport package until i saw one at the local dealership (which i ended up buying). i test drove a regular G37x before that, and glad i found out about the S. you really get a lot - the sport seats have adjustable upper and lower bolsters, and the front extends out for extra thigh support if you want it.

Sport Package

Key Features

blnewt (09-25-2015)
Old 09-25-2015, 12:08 AM
R1 Dan G37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to the forum and good luck with the search! Thanks for posting this cuz some replies have given me some tips for the one I just picked up a little more than a month ago, I got a 2012 xS coupe and it had 27k on it about, runs perfectly, depends on your area but my only tip is keep looking and keep an eye out and maybe even set update notifications. I ended up getting mine at a carmax after lurking on the app for about 4-5 months if not a little more, it got to the point where I set a search for specifically 2011+ xS coupe (that's what I wanted) and just set it so that I got a email anytime car max had one listed newly anywhere in the US because they give an option to pay to ship a vehicle of you think it looks good enough, it's a gamble because the small fee you pay you don't get back if you don't buy the car, but you aren't obligated to buy it. Depends on your area but to be honest here in CT it took me 4 months minimum to find the one I pretty much wanted, for about a month or 2 there were just none for sale I would say the sport package is a lot harder to come by. Car max has 37 g37x coupes for sale across the us at the time I purchased mine and ONLY 2 of them were the sport package. But I agree with the rest. It was worth it with all the extras and I'm glad I waited.

My advice, be patient because finding a nice xS is worth it for sure.

Good luck!
Old 09-25-2015, 09:46 AM
jfisher
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts
I was in the same boat as you and have had many of the same cars in the past actually (00' Lightning, 01' Cobra, 07 R1, etc). I love the G37x so far. Just hit 96k miles yesterday. Only issues are a CEL because I'm running cheap aftermarket test pipes and TPMS light because I don't have TPMS in the new wheels yet. Great daily driver. The gas mileage does blow, but there is a lot to make up for it. The non S X's have open diffs so I'm running a staggered wheel / tire setup, but with very close diameters.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:56 PM
Dman25

Awesome thanks for the tips guys! Sport Package it is. Tires for those 19 inches are not cheap lol. I've got 3 or so G37xS low mileage cars lined up right now. I really wanted red but that package combo hasn't come up yet.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:45 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Awesome thanks for the tips guys! Sport Package it is. Tires for those 19 inches are not cheap lol. I've got 3 or so G37xS low mileage cars lined up right now. I really wanted red but that package combo hasn't come up yet.
G/L with your transaction, FWIW the big Sport brakes alone are worth $1500.
Keep us posted on how it turns out.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:30 AM
RxRyanM
Registered Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Landshark
I'm pretty sure the LSD, brakes, suspension, and quicker steering ratio are only for the coupes; sedan owners get hosed.
Dman25 (09-28-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 10:21 AM
Dman25

Originally Posted by RxRyanM
I'm pretty sure the LSD, brakes, suspension, and quicker steering ratio are only for the coupes; sedan owners get hosed.
Yea thats real helpful. I started focusing only on the S sedan version. Sounds like the Sport version isn't a must on the sedan.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:47 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Yea thats real helpful. I started focusing only on the S sedan version. Sounds like the Sport version isn't a must on the sedan.
The RWD Sport Sedan gets all the goodies, but the AWD Sedan gets shortchanged.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:02 AM
hdk703

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ahh damn, I regret looking at this thread =].

I bought a G37x about a month ago, saw one I really liked at a good price...just thought I was only missing the paddle shifters and wheels.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:54 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally Posted by hdk703
Ahh damn, I regret looking at this thread =].

I bought a G37x about a month ago, saw one I really liked at a good price...just thought I was only missing the paddle shifters and wheels.
Well, you're not missing much from the G37xS.

The AWD sedans didn't come with the tuned suspension, akebono brakes. You're not missing much from the xS. Now if it was a RWD S model, then yes we are missing a whole bunch.

Quick Reply: New to the board, looking for a G37X