Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Just Picked Up My G37

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 07:46 PM
acousticapertur
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just Picked Up My G37

Hey everyone, I just picked up my 2010 G37S 6MT, and can't wait to get out there to enjoy some open road. I got a good deal on it, with just 30,000 miles. I'm starving right now, so I'm going to eat and catch up on some work tonight, but tomorrow is a fun day on the road!

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I picked up a PTuning tow hook license plate bracket, which I just went to put on the car, but upon pulling the cover in the grill, there is nothing in there to screw the mount into! What gives? And if I can't mount my plate using the tow hook mount, do you have a suggestion for another mount that won't require drilling visible parts of the front bumper? I wish I could go naked on the front, but Virginia requires plates, and I don't like tickets.

A little background on me. I'm a photographer based in the DC Metro area, with lots of connections to the aviation industry. I'm also a automotive enthusiast, so of course a lot of my "for-fun" photography is cars... so you can bet I'll have pics of my new ride soon. For now, here is my iPhone snap from picking it up.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:19 PM
Vizard_87
Premier Member

Received 254 Likes on 200 Posts
Nice and welcome to the club! For the license plate you should get one of these>>> C6 - Altec Products Inc. my buddy has one and I'm thinking on getting one as well. Mine are held by zip ties at the moment.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:35 PM
Need 4 Speed

Received 86 Likes on 77 Posts
Congrats and Welcome to the forums and G' Family
Old 02-04-2015, 08:47 PM
bluedevils95

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Welcome to the G community.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:41 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Congrats on the clean coupe, nice find!
Welcome to the site, now go have some fun!
Old 02-04-2015, 11:56 PM
acousticapertur
Premier Member

Thanks guys! Ah, so Vizard_87 is in NOVA too. Where abouts? I'm in Chantilly.

Don't feel comfortable with a retractable plate, though I get why they're nice. I wish Virginia didn't have front plates, though I do agree they are useful for catching carjackers and robbers when caught on, say, gas station surveillance video. This car was a leased vehicle in Pennsylvania, hence no OEM plate.

Any other plate suggestions? I just find it really strange the car has no front tow hook mount - there is literally nothing behind the square grille cover but 12" of space and radiator.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:31 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

There should be a threaded tow hook support on the lower right section of the bottom mesh panel IIRC.
On the Sedan it's on the lower left.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:38 AM
acousticapertur
Premier Member

I know there *should* be... but there isn't. Just got off the phone with a friend of a friend who is a Nissan mechanic; he was clueless too. He's convinced the car had some kind of unreported front-end accident - dealer told me it was rear-ended in a fender bender with no frame damage while on lease with the previous owner, nothing more - damage only necessitated repainting the rear bumper. Carfax backs this up.

No clue. I saw this thing in another post, so I'm thinking about this instead now:

No Holes License Plate Bracket

Holes *under* the bumper out of sight I'm fine with; I just don't want anything visibly drilled in the event I would / could remove the plate. The car I've had for the last 10 years had four massive holes in the bumper for the plate, and my God was it awful. I feel lucky I found this thing without holes already drilled.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:39 AM
Bizzielizzie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Infiniti dealership put my private plate on with special adhesive. I was originally baffled as to how it fitted on too!!!
Old 02-05-2015, 08:10 AM
Vizard_87
Premier Member

Originally Posted by acousticapertur
Thanks guys! Ah, so Vizard_87 is in NOVA too. Where abouts? I'm in Chantilly.

Don't feel comfortable with a retractable plate, though I get why they're nice. I wish Virginia didn't have front plates, though I do agree they are useful for catching carjackers and robbers when caught on, say, gas station surveillance video. This car was a leased vehicle in Pennsylvania, hence no OEM plate.

Any other plate suggestions? I just find it really strange the car has no front tow hook mount - there is literally nothing behind the square grille cover but 12" of space and radiator.

Use zip ties like me I also don't want to drill holes on my front bumper.

Also I live in Manassas, VA! So I'm not far from chantilly pass by it everyday to work! haha.

Also, there's a guy in our car group who owns his own shop in Sterling, VA and he does all the work on my car; in case you want to get mods...

You should join one of our Monday meets that we have in Fairfax/Tysons Corner area.

Name:  image1_zps8c8308a4.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  127.3 KB

Last edited by Vizard_87; 02-05-2015 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:11 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

I know there *should* be... but there isn't. Just got off the phone with a friend of a friend who is a Nissan mechanic; he was clueless too. He's convinced the car had some kind of unreported front-end accident - dealer told me it was rear-ended in a fender bender with no frame damage while on lease with the previous owner, nothing more - damage only necessitated repainting the rear bumper. Carfax backs this up.
Very strange
G/L and hope you have no issues w/ the car.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:40 AM
G37xhibeet

Received 93 Likes on 77 Posts
Nice find man!!! Can't wait to see those shots
Old 02-05-2015, 01:24 PM
acousticapertur
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Vizard_87
Use zip ties like me I also don't want to drill holes on my front bumper.

Also I live in Manassas, VA! So I'm not far from chantilly pass by it everyday to work! haha.

Also, there's a guy in our car group who owns his own shop in Sterling, VA and he does all the work on my car; in case you want to get mods...

You should join one of our Monday meets that we have in Fairfax/Tysons Corner area.
That's all really good to know; my last car's forum didn't have anyone local, so I'm glad DC has some community with the G.

The dealership I got the car at was in Manassas. I was about to order the PTuning license plate tow hook mount, but then noticed their storefront is less than a mile from the car dealership... so I just drove over and got it in person. Need to return it in the next few days though :-/

I'm planning on going to Katie's Cars and Coffee this Saturday; some friends and I go there pretty often, mostly to look, but sometimes they bring something to show off. I haven't told any of my friends I got a new car - I'm going to show up and surprise them.

I always take pictures at Katie's when I go. Is it ok to share a link to my photo blog to show you previous photos? Wasn't entirely sure after reading the post rules.

You'll have to tell me more about this Monday night Tyson's Corner meet. I know about the Friday night Sterling Chik-Fil-A meet that's all kinds of cars, not just Infinitis.

Right now I plan on keeping the car stock... because for the first time in almost a decade, I have a WARRANTY!!! My last car was a money pit, so I'm pretty stoked about having a 4 year extended warranty on the car.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:19 PM
Vizard_87
Premier Member

That's all really good to know; my last car's forum didn't have anyone local, so I'm glad DC has some community with the G.

The dealership I got the car at was in Manassas. I was about to order the PTuning license plate tow hook mount, but then noticed their storefront is less than a mile from the car dealership... so I just drove over and got it in person. Need to return it in the next few days though :-/

I'm planning on going to Katie's Cars and Coffee this Saturday; some friends and I go there pretty often, mostly to look, but sometimes they bring something to show off. I haven't told any of my friends I got a new car - I'm going to show up and surprise them.

I always take pictures at Katie's when I go. Is it ok to share a link to my photo blog to show you previous photos? Wasn't entirely sure after reading the post rules.

You'll have to tell me more about this Monday night Tyson's Corner meet. I know about the Friday night Sterling Chik-Fil-A meet that's all kinds of cars, not just Infinitis.

Right now I plan on keeping the car stock... because for the first time in almost a decade, I have a WARRANTY!!! My last car was a money pit, so I'm pretty stoked about having a 4 year extended warranty on the car.

I don't think there's anything bad about showing your photo blog.
I crated this thread not to long ago that has a little more info on our club. https://www.myg37.com/forums/northea...ova-md-dc.html

Our Monday meets arent as big as the Chik-Fil-A meets. We are already planning cruises for spring time (I can't wait!)
Old 02-06-2015, 08:48 AM
GAWD

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
I'm an aviation nut & longtime Luscombe Silvaire restorer, can appreciate anything with wings, so go ahead and link that blog. Unfortunately I'm with your Nissan mechanic friend - the threaded tow hook receiver should literally be right there behind the cover you removed.

Random coupe example with tow hook inserted :
Name:  SDC10268.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  143.1 KB

Good luck & welcome

Quick Reply: Just Picked Up My G37