Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

How do I know if my car is RWD or AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 07:25 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
I'd say crawl under the car and look at the drive line. If it has a pumpkin and front dif, then it's an awd. If it only has a rear diff, then it's not an awd.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:27 PM
MistAminER112
Premier Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Asking Q's like this is prolly the best way to research
Old 02-15-2012, 12:20 AM
blackhawksfan81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AWD will show a warning light in the dash on startup.

Or, log into your insurance company's website... They should have the info lised from your VIN.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:46 AM
mw09g37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tazicon
Heck since you are in Florida, turn off the traction control (little switch to the right of the steering wheel that shows a car with squiggley lines), and punch it. Even if you have an auto you will spin the rear tires. Thats one way to know for darn sure as an AWD won't do that.

where's that? i thought the Gs have VDC and that was to the left of the steering wheel.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:26 AM
INFINITI G37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Hi

Go to an Empty parking lot, switch the traction control off, steer the steering wheel left or right, as u desire, then step on the throttle as much as u can and see what happens next.. then u will definitely know whether its back or 4 wheel drive

BTW, I just noticed that my comment was similar to TAZICON's comment

Last edited by INFINITI G37; 02-15-2012 at 02:36 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:29 AM
Jayhawk815

Originally Posted by Tazicon
I forget that some of you were never new to G's or cars in general.

To the OP, don't hesitate to ask questions just because some on here are numb nuts. It's best to ask in the newb section where they don't allow flaming.
I understand asking this question if you were shopping for a G and weren't all that familiar with them. However, it's difficult for me to comprehend somehow buying a car and not knowing if it was RWD or AWD. How do you have any idea if you got a decent deal, or what you really need/wanted? To each, their own, but wow.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:33 AM
BlueOnyxG

Correct me if i'm wrong, but if it's a "G37S", it should be a manual transmission, right? Don't think the "S" comes in Auto. The "G37xS" would be AWD and Automatic.

I guess i'm wondering if the non AWD "S" model comes in Auto? Thought it was only stick.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:42 AM
Jayhawk815

Originally Posted by BlueOnyxG
Correct me if i'm wrong, but if it's a "G37S", it should be a manual transmission, right? Don't think the "S" comes in Auto. The "G37xS" would be AWD and Automatic.

I guess i'm wondering if the non AWD "S" model comes in Auto? Thought it was only stick.
Well, technically a G37S with auto is a G37 Journey with Sports package. A true G37 Sport is manual only. That being said, most G37S's you see on the road are automatics.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:50 AM
BlueOnyxG

Originally Posted by Jayhawk815
Well, technically a G37S with auto is a G37 Journey with Sports package. A true G37 Sport is manual only. That being said, most G37S's you see on the road are automatics.
Must be different in Canada, because the G37S sedan here is only Manual. We don't have a journey, our base model is the G37x then you add the packages. For example, i've got the G37x w/Premium Pkg. I know when i was shoping, the "S" sedan only came in manual no option for Auto. The "xS" came with auto, but no option for manual.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:54 AM
Jayhawk815

Must be different in Canada, because the G37S sedan here is only Manual. We don't have a journey, our base model is the G37x then you add the packages. For example, i've got the G37x w/Premium Pkg. I know when i was shoping, the "S" sedan only came in manual no option for Auto. The "xS" came with auto, but no option for manual.
Hmmm, interesting.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:35 AM
AllentownG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Must be different in Canada, because the G37S sedan here is only Manual. We don't have a journey, our base model is the G37x then you add the packages. For example, i've got the G37x w/Premium Pkg. I know when i was shopping, the "S" sedan only came in manual no option for Auto. The "xS" came with auto, but no option for manual.
To add to this, Infiniti doesn't make a manual AWD. From my limited understanding, apparently their AWD system is directly tied in with the automatic transmission. I'm not sure how / why, but I remember reading or hearing that when I was shopping for mine. If anyone knows more, I'd love to clarify my understanding -- feel like pointing me in the right direction? I know that's not a definitive answer, but it might be helpful (ie. OP has a manual transmission --> not an AWD.)
Old 02-15-2012, 11:12 AM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by mw09g37
where's that? i thought the Gs have VDC and that was to the left of the steering wheel.
Sorry I am blonde and my right would be your left! Seriously it is on the left. Brain fart.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:26 PM
awais
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
That's correct for Canada. There is no G37S (Sport) Sedan with 7AT. You can get the coupe with the Sports package and 7AT. But if you want the Sports package in the Sedan, your only option is 6MT.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:50 PM
jddssc121

Originally Posted by AllentownG37
To add to this, Infiniti doesn't make a manual AWD. From my limited understanding, apparently their AWD system is directly tied in with the automatic transmission. I'm not sure how / why, but I remember reading or hearing that when I was shopping for mine. If anyone knows more, I'd love to clarify my understanding -- feel like pointing me in the right direction? I know that's not a definitive answer, but it might be helpful (ie. OP has a manual transmission --> not an AWD.)
Infiniti didn't feel the need to develop (which means "spend money") on a AWD + Manual setup since the VAST majority of cars sold in the US are autos, and up until recently Infiniti wasn't in the European market. Much different than someone like BMW or Audi who are very much in the Euro market , where the ratio of autos to manuals is practically inverse compared to the US.

It's not rocket science, Infiniti could make one if they decided it was worth the cost. Some product planner needs to decide they'll sell N amount *more* cars with a manual (that they otherwise would have lost to AUdi or BMW, etc) and the profits from that will recoup the development spend, increased production line spend (it's another variation to tool up) and actually put extra profit back into Nissan's bank account.........

Remember, if you just "wanted" a manual, but bought an auto, then you are not worth it (you bought the G anyways). The only way this would pay for itself would be to win new business from customers that otherwise would grab a manual 3 series or A4.

Maybe since they're now in the UK etc, for the next G redesign they'll make it an option.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:11 AM
Alan318

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by k.diaz1105
This might be a very dumb question, and hopefully I don't get too bashed for this, but how do I know if my 2009 Infiniti G37 Sedan Sport is RWD or AWD?

Quick Reply: How do I know if my car is RWD or AWD?