NationalGClub National G Club - Operating for the DC/MD/VA G35's and Surrounding Areas

TRI State Meet Hosted by Us

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 09:55 AM
clokwork
Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From what I understand, these parks may be hard to get into, so between the two; central park and Sandy Point, which is a better option??
Old 01-18-2006, 10:28 AM
terryw

what happened to the one Brian suggested? i sort of think thats at a great location
Old 01-18-2006, 10:40 AM
clokwork
Premier Member

I mentioned it in the post above... the Central Park one
Old 01-18-2006, 10:55 AM
ratm68

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by clokwork
I mentioned it in the post above... the Central Park one

Centennial Park in columbia. I would try to call and get info on reserving, but parking would be somewhat limited if we don't get permission to park on the grass. Sandy Point should be a safe bet since it's admission based and they should be able to accomodate. But that may get crowded once it warms up. Maybe somebody can call them up and get a group rates or if they can reserve a location for us within the park.

~Khoa
Old 01-18-2006, 11:07 AM
Pratik

John, I've gotten permits on several parks in the area. Rather than posting up here maybe we can discuss this in person. I'm gonna try and come out to happy hour for a bit. Definitely lets talk. Close proximity to all and being scenic is a plus. Also remember the date because of the heat. I think May is the best bet and temperature wise is great dont you think?
Old 01-18-2006, 11:12 AM
clokwork
Premier Member

yeah, I just got a PM about the date vs weather. June 10th might be a good candidate ???
Old 01-18-2006, 11:26 AM
Espresso

Sandy Point during June 10th might be crowded unless we can reserve a parking lot for the event. The park is admission based and like $5-6 per person but in the past, there has been volunteers to clean up the park area and picking up whatever trash was there and everyone on the list got in for free. Instead of cleaning, we can organize a "Save the Bay" fund raiser event and have every car put in $5 towards this fund along with any vendors willing to donate money. For this cause, I'm sure they will reserve us a lot for say 100+ cars and allow us to use their grills & picnic tables.

The only reason I suggested this location is because it's closer for the DE, NY, PA guys already coming from Rt 50 and not a terrible hike for those Southern Va, NC guys. That and it's impossible for you not to find it this location at the foot of the Bay Bridge.

Another note, a rain date should be set.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:28 AM
clokwork
Premier Member

^^ Thats a great location, but since people didnt have to pay to go to the last event, I dont know if we would lose cars doing it this way
Old 01-18-2006, 11:46 AM
Espresso

Unless vendor(s) step in and help with the funds, I don't see how this tri-meet can be a totally free event. Unless we all get together and provide a service or throw money at them, the park won't let you use their facility for free. We just need to get the word out to other clubs and get some feedback. If an entrance fee is needed, someone can collect the money via Paypal/check and give each person a ticket/pass of some sort. This way, we'll get a head/car count along with a commitment to attend. As for food, drinks and utensils, we'll have it potluck style.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:08 PM
clokwork
Premier Member

You may be right, but from what I understand, not all events require fees. I will have to look further into this with Pratik to see what info he has on permits so far.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:36 PM
Lethal G35

How about Blobs Park in Jessup MD?

Or Watkins Park off Central Ave 214.

Last edited by Lethal G35; 01-18-2006 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:46 PM
terryw

i just think it should be in northern MD, as hosts we should try our best to cater to our guests. especially the NJ guys, going down to VA is a heck of a drive for them. I dont mind driving all the way to northern MD in the spirit of making it easy on the G squad folks.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:47 PM
clokwork
Premier Member

If anyone could get specifics on any of these parks in MD, I would be greatful.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:33 PM
ratm68

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by clokwork
If anyone could get specifics on any of these parks in MD, I would be greatful.

Called Cent. Park, the park director for howard county wasn't in. I'll try to follow up with her. Basically there is a grassy field that is used as an overflow parking lot when they have big events. Those that have been to Cent. park, this is the field on the left as you enter the main entrance. I will enquire if we can reserve or make use of that to accomodate our meet. I have a feeling there maybe a cost involved, but i'm sure we can pitch in and/or charge our sponsor a booth fee. Will keep this updated when I talk to this lady

~Khoa
Old 01-18-2006, 04:07 PM
Pratik

FYI, we used to have family picnics at Centennial every year. We used to have to rent it out. Was 100-150 or so I think. I think different plots are different costs regarding size. I dont think Centennial is our best bet. I have some other ideas that i'll run by you sometime.

Quick Reply: TRI State Meet Hosted by Us