Motorsports / Track Th ultimate forum to discuss motorsports / track related topics for your G37.

Harnesses + no roll bar?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 11:17 PM
youngpak1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harnesses + no roll bar?

Hey guys, I’m interested in getting some racing harnessses, 4 point to be exact along with a harness bar. I’ve seen a lot of things regarding safety with no roll cage. I don’t track the car or anything. Just trying to get an aggressive cosmetic touches to it. Also was thinking off retractable 4 point harness a little safer? Ideas? Should I stick with stocks?
Old 04-21-2018, 09:04 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Retractable racing harness is an oxymoron. Good luck finding that unicorn.

Where do you intend to install the harness bar? You don't care about rear seating?

Schroth Rallye 3 is an option that won't compromise your rear seat space too much and is reversible.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:42 AM
youngpak1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.corbeau.com/products/harn...harness_belts/
this is the retractable one I found.

not really worried about rear seats to be honest, no one sits with me other than passenger seat.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:30 AM
stealthee
Registered Member

Received 200 Likes on 155 Posts
Harness without a cage is a bad idea. Doing it for looks is an even worse idea.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:11 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
So, the Corbeau defeats the purpose of a harness, which is to pin you to the seat. Purely cosmetic. With the rear inertia reel you don't have the threat of breaking your neck if the car rolls.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:00 PM
zer099
Premier Member

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts
Don't have a harness without at least a harness bar unless your harness is mounted at the correct angle, which is not likely without a bar. A bar without a cage is frowned upon, but it's your life and honestly when I raced B14s I had a bar and no cage. Most tracks will not let you on it however if you have a harness and it is at the incorrect angle. You don't even need to be in a serious accident to get injured that way.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:10 PM
bPChaos
Registered Member

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Don't really understand the "aggressive cosmetic" touches, but to each their own.

I tend to agree with the whole "safety as a system" school of thought - each part is designed to work with another part, and only enhancing safety when used correctly in conjunction with those parts.

Let's say you install a harness bar, and a correct harness (5 point+, so you don't slide under the lap belt - called submarining). You'll need a new seat for that too. Your airbags don't work any more, because the harness prevents you from actually using that time to decelerate in a front end collision. And now that your head can't decelerate, you'll need a HANS device, so you don't snap your neck. And a HANS device requires restraints, which requires a helmet, which you can't wear on the street. And all of that is without even thinking of the possible rollover safety and other things.

So... yeah sure it looks cool, but it's up to you to decide if it's worth it.

No real thoughts on that retractable harness. I have no idea how that really works other than it looking like a fancy stock seatbelt.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:08 AM
Splitter

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
The only reason folks say you need a roll cage is so you can mount the rear straps. If you can find somewhere to mount them - within the maximum safe angle - without a cage then it's fine. I don't know where in this car you could do that, but you could get creative and maybe reinforce the rear shelf and put a couple eyelets there.

I understand the aggressive looks piece, but harnesses are dangerous when not used properly, and when they're used properly they're a pain in the *** for driving on the street. A properly tight harness, with no helmet, should be perfectly fine safety wise, but as I said, pain in the *** to get in and out of, open doors, operate the radio, etc while you're strapped in tight.

If it's just for looks and hard parking, why not just get a 4 point and drape it over the seat when the car is parked, use the rear child safety anchors to 'tie it down' - DO NOT ACTUALLY USE THIS LOCATION IF YOU'RE WEARING THE BELT - and use the standard seatbelt for actually driving on the road? That would meet all the objectives of looking cool, being functional and being safe

Personally I wouldn't go with the corbeau, that looks like a strangulation hazard with the single rear tie point and kind of defeats the aggressive looks, most people going for this style seem to enjoy bride, or some other brightly coloured harness to draw attention to it.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:32 AM
stealthee
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Splitter
The only reason folks say you need a roll cage is so you can mount the rear straps. If you can find somewhere to mount them - within the maximum safe angle - without a cage then it's fine. I don't know where in this car you could do that, but you could get creative and maybe reinforce the rear shelf and put a couple eyelets there.

I understand the aggressive looks piece, but harnesses are dangerous when not used properly, and when they're used properly they're a pain in the *** for driving on the street. A properly tight harness, with no helmet, should be perfectly fine safety wise, but as I said, pain in the *** to get in and out of, open doors, operate the radio, etc while you're strapped in tight.

If it's just for looks and hard parking, why not just get a 4 point and drape it over the seat when the car is parked, use the rear child safety anchors to 'tie it down' - DO NOT ACTUALLY USE THIS LOCATION IF YOU'RE WEARING THE BELT - and use the standard seatbelt for actually driving on the road? That would meet all the objectives of looking cool, being functional and being safe

Personally I wouldn't go with the corbeau, that looks like a strangulation hazard with the single rear tie point and kind of defeats the aggressive looks, most people going for this style seem to enjoy bride, or some other brightly coloured harness to draw attention to it.
Your first two sentences alone are wrong. The reason you shouldn't have a harness without a cage is in the event of a rollover when the roof caves in you are strapped in place and the roof comes down on your head, breaking your neck. With a stock 3 point your body will move enough through inertia to avoid the caving roof.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:45 AM
Splitter

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by stealthee
Your first two sentences alone are wrong. The reason you shouldn't have a harness without a cage is in the event of a rollover when the roof caves in you are strapped in place and the roof comes down on your head, breaking your neck. With a stock 3 point your body will move enough through inertia to avoid the caving roof.
I have a hard time imagining someone living through that kind of accident in the first place - 3 point belt or otherwise. Each to his own, but I wouldn't think twice about using a properly mounted harness without a cage in almost any modern, well designed and built car.
Old 04-28-2018, 07:04 PM
stealthee
Registered Member

Its not a "to each his own." This is not an opinion. It is not safe to have a harness without a cage, period. There is a reason cars don't come with oem 4 point harnesses.

Also my dad was in a rollover and walked away.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:42 PM
user 3587587
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
also four points without an anti-submarine system are literally worse than the regular three points when it comes to safety. A good four point harness with the anti-submarine system and a good harness bar should be safe enough to use especially if you're still using all the factory airbags(including the ones in the seats)