Motorsports / Track Th ultimate forum to discuss motorsports / track related topics for your G37.

Red or Blue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 10:09 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Red or Blue?

This was posted in one of the fb groups I follow. After careful observation there's pros and cons to each.

Blue doesn't require as much turn in before the apex so greater speeds can be carried through the corner before braking. However the car is turning for longer distance than red.

With the red line, you're traveling in a straighter line for longer so that means more speed, but also more braking at the apex. Drive out is closer to a straight line, so vehicle can be accelerated faster.

The question is, which results in a better time through the corner and why?

Red or Blue?-pztgsyq.png
Old 06-20-2017, 10:25 PM
bPChaos
Registered Member

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
From what I understand, the answer is neither. My personal experience would have me brake hard and late (trail braking maybe to get the car to rotate) into the first part of the corner, followed by a late apex as you exit. This maximizes the braking zone, and makes for a slow corner, but gives you the most amount of time with the least steering input required to accelerate out.

Slow in, fast out.

Something like this graphic.

But it really just depends on the situation you're in. You should be adjusting and setting up corner exits for a series of corners, maximizing momentum until the complex of corners is over.

Last edited by bPChaos; 06-20-2017 at 10:31 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:32 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
I don't know. Don't have much experience with these type of corners as there's no hairpins around here. Time wise, it almost seems like a wash, just different ways of achieving the same end result.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:01 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Those are the toughest corners. Texas World Speedway has one of those and I never noticed much of a difference in the two techniques.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:28 AM
Splitter

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
These really long corners - which the picture of the bike shows that it is - aren't as simple as the standard hairpin technique. From I've experienced, it depends on your car. Most street cars will oversteer a lot on the red line, so the blue is more consistent and easier, probably faster. But if you have a race car with proper balance and setup that will manage the braking and turning then the red line is probably the one you want.

You also don't show the track before and after this corner, so depending on the configuration you may want to sacrifice the entry or exit depending on track configuration in to or out of the corner that will gain the most time for your chosen line.

And then if you're actually racing and not just doing time attack, then something with a red line entry but fully hug the corner makes the most sense because you don't want to leave the inside line open for someone to brake even later and duck up the inside. Very situational.