Motorsports / Track Th ultimate forum to discuss motorsports / track related topics for your G37.

Autocross Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 09:28 AM
nbast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Autocross Tips?

I'm planning on doing a novice autocross event held here in two weeks.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips.

I have a G37x coupe, so it's an automatic. I have added paddle shifters, but have not used them much. I'm thinking that I'll probably want to put it in DS mode and let the car handle shifting, though from what I understand I may never leave first gear.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:24 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Might wanna upgrade your suspension and brakes at the very least. I would imagine that those 2 things I'll save you a lot of trouble on the track.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:03 PM
cHilLn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You will probably never leave second gear. Best tip is to look ahead and not stare at cones. Setting the car in the right position is better then trying to gain a little mph. Oh yeah have fun is most important
Old 04-10-2012, 01:30 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Yea I am sure you will leave first gear as on the auto it is a low gear, in fact second is as well but you may not leave it. Learning to use you paddle shifters would probably be a big help with AutoX. Other than that go out, have fun and don't push it too hard off the bat. Work your way into to it. When you feel you should hit your brakes before going into a corner wait then hit them hard. Most people brake too early. Don't brake in a turn but before. You will start to learn where the apex of the corners are, about mid way and thats here you want to hit the gas. To early you will spin, to late and you won't get going as fast. All this just takes time to learn. Go out have fun, pick other peoples brains for information while you are out there. Trust me you will have a blast!
Old 04-10-2012, 04:17 PM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
You're gonna use 2nd gear almost all the time. I have auto-xed a lot and never gone into 3rd. But my 2nd gear goes to 71. Anyways if you want faster times, the only thing you should change is tires. Don't be suprised by the lack of grip btw, flat surfuces are all about tires, you will notice almost everyone with slicks.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:39 AM
toyzforme

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I autox my 09 G Sport almost every month. I have an auto as well and I have learned that for most tracks you will stay in 2nd gear. 6MTG37S said 2nd goes to 71 and I will call BS on that. Maybe for his car but not a 7AT. 1st gear gets you out of the hole fast and then bump 2nd as you will hit redline fast. From there it is all on you. Also I learned not to use the paddle shifts on autox days. You are turning the wheel so fast that trying to hit the paddles only makes you hit the damn blinkers and windshield wipers, so I just shift the car with the shift handle in the center. Above all go out and have fun. These cars are fast as it is and you will truely enjoy yourself not to mention people love the sound of our cars under full throttle. But like it was said before TIRES make a big difference. I run Hoosier A6 slicks 285's all the way around and the car sticks like glue but with too much throttle I can break them loose as well. After you get the hang of it I would start upgrading your suspension, you will be amazed at how little things go a long way. Just PM me if you have more questions.

I also put my car on the Track as well. :-)
Old 04-11-2012, 10:11 AM
Tazicon

I had to go check and I can't even hit 55 in second (in the G, haven't checked the Z yet). And no I don't track my G. As far as paddles I have used them in the Z from day one, I don't think I could use the shifter. Personal preferance I guess but to me having your hands at the wheel is better once you learn to do it.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:22 AM
Tazicon

A couple of questions for you guys who do AutoX often, are you guys doing it through the SCCA? I only do weekend memberships as I wasn't sure how often I could get out due to work. I was also looking at other options And have any of you done a road rally? If so what did you think about RR's. I am curious more than anything.

Last edited by Tazicon; 04-11-2012 at 10:27 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-11-2012, 10:56 AM
nbast

Thanks a lot for the advise, it is really appreciated.

I'm doing this one on stock wheels/tires. I was planing to get summer wheels/tires next year. I may have to see if I can convince my wife that the budget can handle them this year...
Old 04-11-2012, 12:16 PM
cHilLn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I autoX through scca. They don't have any RR events here where I am, but they do have NASA HPDE but im not quite confident to try that yet... Lol
Old 04-12-2012, 02:55 PM
toyzforme

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes I race through SCCA as well. Both SCCA and NASA have (HPDE High performance driving experience or PDX Performance driving expierence) It just depends on who is putting on the event and where.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:05 PM
37hevn

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
besides what the previous said, dont give up and get discouraged by other peoples times. keep in mind your car weighs 1000-1500 more than the others. since youre a beginner get an instructor to ride with you. it will help a lot! dont get caught up in competing unless they have a weigh scale and do a lb per second i dont plan on getting serious about it cuz the g37 is so heavy.

if you dont have the sport package, realize it will take thousands to get aftermarket stuff done so keep that in mind. get a gt spec strut bar and it will make a huge difference. i have sways also but the bigger difference i felt was the strut. its just over 200 and in my experience id pay close to 400 just cuz its that much of an improvement
Old 04-12-2012, 11:38 PM
Tazicon

Like 37hevn says, don't give up. I am one of the slowest out there but have a ton of fun. Thats what counts.

I was pretty sure I was mainly using second and third. I went out tonight to check and I hit my rev limiter at 45 in second in my Z, plus I really don't like to run it like that. I tend to shift around 40 into third when I am running hard. I guess my Z is just geared lower. I have often thought it didn't even need first gear as first and second are so close.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:17 AM
nbast

Originally Posted by 37hevn
get a gt spec strut bar and it will make a huge difference. i have sways also but the bigger difference i felt was the strut. its just over 200 and in my experience id pay close to 400 just cuz its that much of an improvement
I had a Stillen strut tower bar on my '95 Maxima, and the handling difference was amazing. For some reason I hadn't considered getting one for the G yet.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:26 AM
37hevn

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nbast
I had a Stillen strut tower bar on my '95 Maxima, and the handling difference was amazing. For some reason I hadn't considered getting one for the G yet.
i really feel its one of the most under rated aftermarket parts available on this car. for the $ i think it is the most gratifying thing ive done to my car. hfc would be a very close 2nd, i only have 550 in new stillen installed and gained 10 hp at every point. those 2 upgrades are my recommendations to anyone modding the stock g37. good luck

Quick Reply: Autocross Tips?