Motorsports / Track Th ultimate forum to discuss motorsports / track related topics for your G37.

My First Track Day Verdict: I'm Addicted!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 11:11 PM
Silver_HR
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My First Track Day Verdict: I'm Addicted!

December 3rd I went with my friend and a bunch of people he knew to the Streets of Willow Springs CW and I had an absolute blast. It was crazy windy but that didn't dim the excitement. They had a deal going on for this day, beginners price was reduced from 130 to 90, free lunch and an open bar at a nearby restaurant afterwards.

I've never been to an extreme speed event but my friend (who has only been to one) said that SpeedVentures' event seemed better organized and really emphasized courtesy passing in the beginner's group. They explained everything very clearly to us beginners, had one session as a parade lap. one session where we had to do a passing exercise (practice passing and letting others pass) and then three full sessions of full speed running.

The track is fantastic. I love the tight technical nature of the Streets of Willow Springs where it seems like it really emphasizes skill and handling over horsepower. I "only" reached around 90 or 100 at the ends of the two straights. I thought I knew how to handle a car after many trips to the hills but really there is zero substitute for real track time. My friend with a 335i had set a 1:42 his first time out earlier this year so that was my goal.

I had read about people running into limp mode but hoped I wouldn't come across it because it was cold and very windy. Unfortunately on the cool down of the second open session I hit a new rev limiter at 4k and on my last session I kept hitting it, letting it cool and hitting it before finally choosing to shut it down.

My first session I did a 1:47 (i thought I was hauling lol)
Second session did 1:43
Final session I did a 1:41 in the one hot lap I was able to get between all the limp mode. (Yes!)

My friend in his 335i only did a 1:42 his first time out (with instruction!) so I figure this day a success.

Overall, if it wasn't for the limp mode spoiling my fun in the last session, my 2007 G35 Sedan handled the day beautifully. It handled well and once my 420 treadwear street tires warmed up I felt like I had good grip.

Now all I want for Christmas is an Oil Cooler! Any recommendations?
Old 12-05-2011, 11:26 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Awesome.

Did Streets of Willow last year with ucla bruin and Mike on here and have missed it ever since.

Since you hit limp mode, be sure to change the oil.

Oil cooler? Would only recommend the one from ae performance, as it was the only one that prevented our VQ from hitting limp mode in a comparison between it and 3 others (can't find the link)

Products_Nissan_Z34OCK
Old 12-06-2011, 12:07 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Ah, I saw your car there, but didn't get a chance to say hi. I was there that weekend with the army of s2ks that were running in Red.

1:41 is a pretty solid time for having a bone stock car.

Hit me up for a ride next time we go.

Limp on a VQ35HR is pretty impressive, especially considering that ambient temp was at a high of maybe 55.

I spy a G sedan...

*edit*

I just realized, I was your lead car in the second lead/follow session (with the EVO that wouldn't point you by like he was supposed to).
Old 12-06-2011, 12:15 AM
Mike

I'd say that's a pretty damn good job of following the leader there
Old 12-06-2011, 04:55 PM
Silver_HR
Registered Member

I'd say that's a pretty damn good job of following the leader there
Thanks Mike!

I'll totally ask for a ride next time. I think seeing the line somebody else takes would help build my confidence quickly. There were sections at the end of the straights where I lift a bit more than I should just because I would rather creep up on the limits of my car as opposed to blitz them and crash.

In a racing game you just go ***** out on turns and crash and then try it over little slower till you figure it out. Don't really have that option here.

Did you notice the s2000 on the inside of the bowl? He was a friend of my buddy, clipped the inside of the chicane one too many times and broke all the spokes on his wheel. The center stayed and the wheel rim rolled off. Didn't know that was possible on OEM rims!

My buddy's S2k is the one that caught on fire in the first session. We couldn't believe it. Still not sure what happened.

Are you going to be at the Streets of Willow for the December31st ExtremeSpeed session or the Feb 11th SpeedVentures?

Gamedog,
Since you hit limp mode, be sure to change the oil.

Oil cooler? Would only recommend the one from ae performance, as it was the only one that prevented our VQ from hitting limp mode in a comparison between it and 3 others (can't find the link)
Thanks for the tip about changing the oil, I'll do that today.

That kit is on the pricey side, considering it seems to use the same Setrab core as the other kits I've seen. Do you know how many fins it has? What other ones did you try?
Old 12-06-2011, 05:24 PM
Mike

I've never seen so many s2000 casualties in my life. There were more casualties that day (2) than I've seen the rest of my tracking combined.

He was on OEM rims? Everyone was suspecting aftermarket rims. OEM rims bend the barrel if you just clip the chicane. He had to have been fully 2 off and then some multiple times to do that. This is where forged rims come in. Where a non-forged wheel would have a catastrophic failure, a forged rims will just bend, or have a lesser failure. He had to have felt a bent rim before it would just shatter like that. Were they modified in any way? (Powdercoating or painting comes to mind)

The other s2k with a fire... I talked to him. It looks like he blew an engine... we were speculating a money shift which resulted in him dumping oil (and the oil caught fire). The fire was all at the upper portion of the engine, and didn't originate from the fuel lines or anything down low...

I'll probably be at WSIR on the 18th. Maybe the 17th. I'll be mainly instructing, and might drive a session.

I'm debating SoWS on the 31st, but as with WSIR, I'll probably just instruct and maybe drive one session.

The AE performance kit is a 72 row core. You can piece the kit together yourself, but it's not a huge cost savings. Also, consider using a more robust oil.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:25 PM
Mike

multipost.

Last edited by Mike; 12-06-2011 at 05:25 PM. Reason: multipost
Old 12-06-2011, 05:56 PM
Silver_HR
Registered Member

Possibly Powdercoated

They might have been powder coated, I'm not sure. He said he dipped that wheel offtrack on the chicane 4 times and didn't check for cracks. Going into the turn before the bowl he felt shaking and shuddering and as he was pulling off track the wheel fully broke.

The other car was on a cool down lap when it happened, but might have moneyshifted before that?

Do you know what happened to that Mercedes? When I talked to the driver he said he didn't even know at the time. Mentioned he didn't torque his lugs but not sure if they came out or broke or if just one came out and the other ones broke.

72 rows? that's insane. They must be vertical rows as that cooler looks nice and short. the other oil coolers have like 16-25 longer horizontal rows. I'll have to look more into this.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:03 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good times.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:10 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Silver_HR, did you do any pre trackday reading?

Have yet to do a track day on bike or car, but a few years ago, someone suggested I read something called 'Twist of the wrist 2' by Keith Code. There's also a relatively current (2009?) video that goes along with the book. After reading the book and watching the video several times, I started applying some of the techniques when riding more technical roads. What I found was corners that used to freak me out before were not a big deal any more. My average speed through most increased too.

Some of the things the book emphasis really isn't applicable to 4 wheel driving, but alot still is. Topics such as throttle control, lines, where you should be looking, body position, etc are all covered in depth. Worth a read even if you never plan on throwing a foot over a bike.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:39 PM
Silver_HR
Registered Member

Pre-Reading

I didn't do any specific pre-reading but I've been a fan of motorsports for a long time and have played and owned all four Forza Motorsports games. I'm familiar with theory and how a fast line and driver should look, but as I'm sure you've experienced, its a whole new game when you try to apply it!

That sounds like a very interesting read, actually. I'm thinking about picking up a used Ninja 500 as a learner pretty soon. I don't know if I'll ever track it but I've had my motorcycle license for years, waiting for the funds to get a bike.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:51 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Can't say I've ever played any mcy games, but can't imagine it being anywhere close to what the real thing is. Straight line stuff is one thing, but so many factors come together for cornering - body position, sight, upper body position, lower body position, where your feet are on the pegs, hip position, what the outside knee is doing, handle bar inputs, and probably many others.

An ex500 is a good starter bike, as is sv650 (if you're interested in that type of bike). Best part is in CA, you can lane split legally, so commuting is a whole lot faster on 2 wheels.

Check out the book and video at your local library (or intralibrary loan system).
Old 12-06-2011, 06:56 PM
ucla bruin

Silver_HR, is your G a stick or auto?
Old 12-06-2011, 07:10 PM
Silver_HR
Registered Member

Stick. FTW.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:18 PM
ucla bruin

High five.

Streets was my first time too. For some reason I hit limp mode there, and it was a night time event so temp was low. But haven't hit limp mode since at day time events and different tracks. Maybe it's the track.

Quick Reply: My First Track Day Verdict: I'm Addicted!