MODDING 411 Aftermarket Parts Available for the G37: What's Good, What's Not, Where to Go etc.

g37 custom intake question

Old 07-02-2013, 12:36 PM
davewittes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
g37 custom intake question

I saw this on the 370z forum. He said he used post mafs, a silicone elbow, and stock maf tubes. Does anybody know how he did this? Did he cut the maf tubes off of his air box? thanks.
Attached Thumbnails g37 custom intake question-img_4400.jpg  
Old 07-02-2013, 01:35 PM
jamesshifflett

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Don't bother. Either stick with stock airbox with aftermarket filters are go true cold air...else you'll be loosing power.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:27 PM
davewittes

I don't want a review of this product or to hear how bad it is because I only plan to use it temporarily I just want to know if it will fit.
Mobile: Buy Spectre 3" Mass Air Flow Sensor Adapter and Tuning Kit 9405 at Advance Auto Parts
Old 03-12-2015, 09:39 PM
rm2342

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
old thread, but I am thinking of improvising something.

I already have two cone filters from previous cars and I have the HPS tubes installed currently with stock boxes and high flow filter.

Just looking for a improvised stopgap and more pleasant sound increase until I figure what set up I will go with.

Has anyone used a post maf tube from Autozone or Advanced auto which would fit the HPS tubes with intake cone?
Old 03-13-2015, 03:00 PM
1r3land

Originally Posted by rm2342
old thread, but I am thinking of improvising something.

I already have two cone filters from previous cars and I have the HPS tubes installed currently with stock boxes and high flow filter.

Just looking for a improvised stopgap and more pleasant sound increase until I figure what set up I will go with.

Has anyone used a post maf tube from Autozone or Advanced auto which would fit the HPS tubes with intake cone?

I cut the stock tubes off some old intake boxes i had, i had 2 from my previous g, it was a temporary fix till my Injen CAI came in. ( stock filters were SHOT, so instead of buying two cheap filters for a temp fix ( couple weeks) i just got bored one afternoon and decided to throw a couple of my K&N cone filters on.
It works, but doesn't really benefit other than some sound, probably decreases HP due to pulling hot air from motor, but does give it a little sound if thats just what your looking for.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:42 PM
rm2342

Yeah, actually I am. Not sure if I want to hack the stock boxes though.

I went to autozone thinking the would have the maf short tube to put the sensor in, but they didn't have one for nissan/infiniti. If I can score two of those and some rubber elbow short tubes, I should be in business.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:31 AM
Bravo at
Premier Member

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
Would removing the liner from under the hood help increase hearing your intake?

The part advertised from the OP looks like a 3" kit; not sure if that's an inner or outer diameter measurement. Reason I bring that up is the outer diameter of our throttle bodies is closer to 2 3/4". So necking down the hose from MAF to the throttle body could be an additional cost.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:35 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Bravo at
Would removing the liner from under the hood help increase hearing your intake?

Yes. My car has been commando for almost a year now.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...ood-liner.html
Old 03-15-2015, 01:54 PM
rm2342

Well, took the plunge and ordered an R2C intake. I was going to improvise one since I have a few good condition dry filter cones and HPS tubes already installed. I just would've needed MAF housings which I couldn't seem to find locally.

R2C should be nice anyhow..
Old 04-01-2015, 04:39 PM
mickley.28

the stock filter is like a cold air intake... it pulls air from in front of the radiator so I would bet these intakes would have very little to no gains. I like'd my takeda cold air intake (nice sound that wasn't too loud and noticeable power increase).
Old 12-10-2015, 06:23 PM
gmainss1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i kind of did the same thing i basically replaced the tubing with tubes from pep boys and cut around the maf sensor. definitely got some power out of it and it was a pretty simple install.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:01 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by gmainss1
i kind of did the same thing i basically replaced the tubing with tubes from pep boys and cut around the maf sensor. definitely got some power out of it and it was a pretty simple install.
I highly doubt you got any powe gains, and likely lost power. Do you have any dyno runs to validate your power assumptions?

That's going to suck in a ton of hot air.....
Old 12-11-2015, 09:26 AM
gmainss1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I highly doubt you got any powe gains, and likely lost power. Do you have any dyno runs to validate your power assumptions?

That's going to suck in a ton of hot air.....
I don't have any dynos. But I understand why you're skeptical about it, but I definitely felt a difference whether it be hp or torque i dont know but I did feel the engine was louder, and felt more of a kick when I drove from a full stop. I did race another stock g37 and I won so I also thought I gained something because of that.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:51 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
I did this last year as a cold air intake.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/intake-...box-mod-4.html
Attached Thumbnails g37 custom intake question-air-duct-mounting-plate-copy.jpg   g37 custom intake question-black_silicone_35_elbow-copy.jpg   g37 custom intake question-cf-ducts-copy.jpg   g37 custom intake question-custom-intake_jpg4-copy.jpg  
Old 12-12-2015, 10:00 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by gmainss1
I don't have any dynos. But I understand why you're skeptical about it, but I definitely felt a difference whether it be hp or torque i dont know but I did feel the engine was louder, and felt more of a kick when I drove from a full stop. I did race another stock g37 and I won so I also thought I gained something because of that.
Placebo effect

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: g37 custom intake question