MODDING 411 Aftermarket Parts Available for the G37: What's Good, What's Not, Where to Go etc.

Stillen CAI and Berk HFC perfomance/sound

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 10:20 PM
j.curt

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stillen CAI and Berk HFC perfomance/sound

Hello All

Once again I am posting to get advice and answers. Yesterday I added on to an old forum topic I started and did not get any feedback. Either everyone is tired of my questions I should know the answer to or they don't read an old thread that gets started again. Either way, please bare with me as I am still trying to learn about all of this stuff.

So for the question....

I had Berk HFC's and a Stillen CAI intake installed on my car. Everything else still stock. I don't hear much difference in the sound of the car. Though today it is a little more noticeable. Not sure if the HFC's need to be broke in. Sound still sounds stock at idle and cruise. As for rasp, I still do not know exactly what it is and have watched some videos on Youtube but still can't hear it over the video. I do not think I am hearing the rasp people are talking about. If I listen closely, I can hear what seems to be a lot of air, but not all the time. Maybe this is the rasp? Also, I do not notice a huge difference in performance. Maybe a little bit faster acceleration in 3rd gear while using the padle shifters, but not much. Do I need to reset the ECU? Is this normal not to notice much difference in performance? Will there be a noticeable difference with a catback exhaust?

Thanks again for all the help<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
Old 03-05-2013, 08:18 AM
IPL 370GT

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
I installed berk HFC's on my 350z and the sound and drone was noticeably different. Usually the combination with a CAI will make the exhaust even louder. The rasp is normally heard from the Y-pipe. You can check for the rasp sound by placing the car in neutral, steady revs to 6,000rpm and leave the drivers side door open. Not everyone reports the raspy sound... Congrats! Be happy

ECU reset https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...isconnect.html

You can also find a YouTube video with the instructions... Very easy, don't get frustrated if you don't get it the first time. It's all about timing. The reset is essential so the car can adjust to your new mods. Avoid disconnecting the battery to perform the reset. You'll loose all audio presets and windows will have to be reset. Good-luck!

Last edited by IPL 370GT; 03-05-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:55 AM
1G372nv

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by j.curt
Hello All

Once again I am posting to get advice and answers. Yesterday I added on to an old forum topic I started and did not get any feedback. Either everyone is tired of my questions I should know the answer to or they don't read an old thread that gets started again. Either way, please bare with me as I am still trying to learn about all of this stuff.

So for the question....

I had Berk HFC's and a Stillen CAI intake installed on my car. Everything else still stock. I don't hear much difference in the sound of the car. Though today it is a little more noticeable. Not sure if the HFC's need to be broke in. Sound still sounds stock at idle and cruise. As for rasp, I still do not know exactly what it is and have watched some videos on Youtube but still can't hear it over the video. I do not think I am hearing the rasp people are talking about. If I listen closely, I can hear what seems to be a lot of air, but not all the time. Maybe this is the rasp? Also, I do not notice a huge difference in performance. Maybe a little bit faster acceleration in 3rd gear while using the padle shifters, but not much. Do I need to reset the ECU? Is this normal not to notice much difference in performance? Will there be a noticeable difference with a catback exhaust?

Thanks again for all the help<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
Really I think the main reason for CBE is to increase note with HFC but will def work better to open up and give you better ending results. A ECU upgrade may help too but I would think more if you had CBE as well cause your air/fuel ratios change. I use Hypertech. Also think depends on CBE you get. Also if you have auto grounding kit helps alot with accel and gear shift.