Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

HKS Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 06:25 PM
Johnnysantana
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HKS Mufflers

Hey guys im new to the mod game and own a 2013 G37x 7AT. I just ordered a cpt long tube CAI with K&n filters as my first performance mod and looking to keep the momentum. I wanted to know if anyone has experience with the HKS hi power mufflers? Want to know if they are worth buying for around $450 or should I just buy a full exhaust. I am purchasing a kinetix HFC and looking to combine it with either HKS mufflers or Topspeed full exhaust. Let me know what you guys think. After those 3 mods I'm looking to get an Ecutek tune than some new wheels.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:34 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
The mufflers will net you 0 hp. Theyre for sound. No performance at all.
get a full catback.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:39 PM
Johnnysantana
Registered Member

Originally Posted by PNW_IPL
The mufflers will net you 0 hp. Theyre for sound. No performance at all.
get a full catback.
Ok thanks. what catbacks do you recommend on a budget ? heard a lot of good things about Topspeed full exhaust and for the price I haven't heard of a better bargain
Old 12-07-2018, 06:42 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Johnnysantana
Ok thanks. what catbacks do you recommend on a budget ? heard a lot of good things about Topspeed full exhaust and for the price I haven't heard of a better bargain
i like motordyne best.
second would be invidia.
third id lean fast intentions.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:57 PM
Johnnysantana
Registered Member

i like motordyne best.
second would be invidia.
third id lean fast intentions.
Motordyne and fast intentions are kind of out of my budget now but I seen clips of both and they are beautiful sounding. I might go with invidia hmm
Old 12-07-2018, 07:20 PM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Motordyne and fast intentions are kind of out of my budget now but I seen clips of both and they are beautiful sounding. I might go with invidia hmm
I absolutely love my ark but I believe theres someone selling a topspeed exhaust in the classified. Check it out but definitely a cbe for sound n some power gain especially being that you u plan on tuning. It's not the full catback it's the y pipe n mufflers.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/private-classifieds/290185-topspeed-pro-1-y-back-exhaust.html
Old 12-08-2018, 09:16 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Or... get your axle-back mufflers for sound and (subjective) looks. Then spend the money you saved on high-flow cats.

Modifying these cars "on a budget" is a losing proposition, unless you troll for used parts. And that's a valid approach, because it's real common for people to part-out their modded cars for resale.

The only other advice I can offer is that you make long-term plans. Figure out exactly what you want, then schedule it for 6 months or 12 months down the road, setting aside money as you go. For example, 1CleanG here acts as middle-man to Fast Intentions, and will take a healthy down-payment up front, with the balance due on delivery. And since delivery for their cat-backs can take 12+ weeks, the idea of saving over time is baked right in.

Trending Topics

Old 12-08-2018, 09:32 AM
Johnnysantana
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Redgoyabean
I absolutely love my ark but I believe theres someone selling a topspeed exhaust in the classified. Check it out but definitely a cbe for sound n some power gain especially being that you u plan on tuning. It's not the full catback it's the y pipe n mufflers.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/private-classifieds/290185-topspeed-pro-1-y-back-exhaust.html
Definitely wanted the Ark especially when someone locally was selling the full exhaust for $800 but I didn't have the money at the time 😟🤕 but I seen the post and the guy is too far away from me and guess he just wants to sell locally
Old 12-08-2018, 09:49 AM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

Definitely wanted the Ark especially when someone locally was selling the full exhaust for $800 but I didn't have the money at the time 😟🤕 but I seen the post and the guy is too far away from me and guess he just wants to sell locally
then I'd go with what Rochester posted, I've spent extra $500 trying to achieve that vq sound the way I would've like just to buy the ark grip on discount but fortunately I was able to sell them close to what I paid so I kinda made my money back but if your chasing anything as clean n as loud as the fast intention or ark then I would just save, or just do axelback with some hfc but even then your getting close to full cbe prices so you kinda should just save, I had tanabe axleback with vibrant 12in resonators n the sound was great but wasn't exactly what I was looking for.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:37 AM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

He akready said hes getting HFC...
with that said spend a couple hours on YouTube listening to various exhaust on the sedan.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:58 AM
Rochester
Administrator

He akready said hes getting HFC...
Yeah, I know. It's almost like you have a point here.

If a tight budget is driving his decisions, then he's on-track with good choices in high-flow cats and an axle-back. Power, sound, budget... win.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:04 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Yeah, I know. It's almost like you have a point here.

If a tight budget is driving his decisions, then he's on-track with good choices in high-flow cats and an axle-back. Power, sound, budget... win.
axleback at 450 is a huge waste.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:10 PM
Rochester
Administrator

axleback at 450 is a huge waste.
To you. The OP has his own automotive values.
The following users liked this post:
guy from norcal (12-09-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 01:20 PM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
To you. The OP has his own automotive values.
that's true which is y people should figure out if there going for preformance or just sound, if for preformance then I say cbe with hfc but if it's just sound an axelback would do the trick n the hfc would be a bonus.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:44 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Redgoyabean
that's true which is y people should figure out if there going for preformance or just sound
Don't forget looks as the third leg in that stool.

The OEM cans are misshapen, blackened blobs, and the oval tips are crimped & welded covers just floating there, looking cheap. Just about anything is an improvement over the original exhaust components.

Here's another option, one that I tried when I first got my car: weld on some new tips. My particular project wasn't a total success, but looked interesting enough for a few years until I got a cat-back. My lesson learned was I should have used rolled, resonated tips, for a better look.

Quick Reply: HKS Mufflers