Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Anyone straight piped their G37?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 01:55 PM
Sj4925

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone straight piped their G37?

Howdy! New member here. I wanted to ask if any of you have straight-piped your G37? I've want to do a straight pipe to my G37 when I move out of commiefornia, I mean Cali, since the VQ motors don't do well with the catalytic converters. I don't care about drones since those things don't bother me. I'm not looking for power gains since I want to keep the motor completely stock and keep it as a good daily driver and I'll leave the engine modifications to my other car. I'd like some feedback on straight piping whether it's a good decision on the G37. Keep in mind I'm not an environmentalist and I don't give a sh*t about the environment
Old 05-25-2018, 02:22 PM
user 3587587
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
sounds like you've already made up your mind. other than drone and how stupid loud the car is gonna be it shouldn't cause any problems other than a check engine light because cats.
The following users liked this post:
Sj4925 (06-01-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 02:43 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Originally Posted by GasMonkey
?.. since the VQ motors don't do well with the catalytic converters.

Keep in mind I'm not an environmentalist and I don't give a sh*t about the environment
Upon what do you base that first statement? And, don't move near me, I'll stuff potatoes up your pipes due to the obnoxious noise and stink.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:37 PM
Sj4925

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Upon what do you base that first statement? And, don't move near me, I'll stuff potatoes up your pipes due to the obnoxious noise and stink.
Nissan VQ35DE Engine (VQ35HR) | Performance tuning, problems

VQ37s have mostly the same issues as the VQ35. That noise and that smell are the biggest positives of the modification! I'll be back in the South since the folks don't mind the sound
Old 05-25-2018, 03:42 PM
Sj4925

Originally Posted by maskedbuilder
sounds like you've already made up your mind. other than drone and how stupid loud the car is gonna be it shouldn't cause any problems other than a check engine light because cats.
Yes sir! That's what I've been told. I haven't done too much research on the check engine light but I'm pretty sure it can be removed with the OBDII scanner. Of course shouldn't be an issue since I'll be moving back to a state with no emission laws
Old 05-25-2018, 08:06 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

I call hogwash on the cylinder wear issue. Cats are downstream of the engine. How are catalyst fines swimming up the exhaust stream?

Poor choice of web site for rationalizing your desire for an open exhaust.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:47 PM
Sj4925

Don't really want to argue on a forum site but here's better choice of web sites that support my desire.

https://www.engine-specs.net/nissan/vq35hr.html
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...Number=2679069
2005 Frontier Nismo Excessive Oil Consumption - Needs New Engine and Cat Converters - Nissan Forum

Don't know if you've been with the Nissan family for long but the Nissan Murano had a similar issue with the cats and had a recall a long time ago. There's a ton of stuff on the interwebs that talk about the VQs and VKs having these issues that you should find an interesting read
Old 05-26-2018, 01:26 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Well, I bought a '94 Sentra SE-R new and still have it, the first car I bought was a 1967 Datsun Roadster and I bought my G new. Raced a '91 SE-R in The 24 Hours of LeMons a few times, it still had the catcon on it. So, I've been in the Nissan family awhile.

I still don't get how catalyst fines can swim upstream. Until someone provides a sound reason, I can't accept that as a cause for cylinder wear.

Really, the keeping up with maintenace should keep the cats in good condition and negate any reason to remove them.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:13 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
I think most people go to high flow cats as there are solutions that do deal with the CEL and most people after the most power per dollar and don't want the CEL/have to pass emissions.

Another popular option are resonated test pipes.

Some people do longtube headers but the cost of getting the headers in and out make it expensive as they are inaccessible and labour is high

all of these options usually need a tune, not necessarily for a ton more power as the engines don't make a tone more unless you go FI, but to smooth things out and get the car where you want it...ecutek or uprev...

lots of people also do muffler deletes without problems independent of this...the overall sound will be a matter of your personal tastes
Sj4925 (05-26-2018)
Old 05-26-2018, 01:48 PM
Sj4925

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Well, I bought a '94 Sentra SE-R new and still have it, the first car I bought was a 1967 Datsun Roadster and I bought my G new. Raced a '91 SE-R in The 24 Hours of LeMons a few times, it still had the catcon on it. So, I've been in the Nissan family awhile.

I still don't get how catalyst fines can swim upstream. Until someone provides a sound reason, I can't accept that as a cause for cylinder wear.

Really, the keeping up with maintenace should keep the cats in good condition and negate any reason to remove them.
Wow! That is really cool man! Those roadsters are really neat, do you still have it?

I ain't no scientist but the way I see it is when the cats degrade it makes it harder for the exhaust fumes to escape and causes a build up. The more power you push the more exhaust gasses are going out the exhaust but the cat can block it and cause the fumes to cause a build up in front of the cats. Those particles can get into the piston rings and make them worn which in turn can cause high oil consumption since pistons need to be lubricated at all times. Take my statement with a grain of salt.

True, but I'd like to reduce that issue from happening by completely removing them.
Old 05-26-2018, 02:00 PM
Sj4925

Originally Posted by Hashim
I think most people go to high flow cats as there are solutions that do deal with the CEL and most people after the most power per dollar and don't want the CEL/have to pass emissions.

Another popular option are resonated test pipes.

Some people do longtube headers but the cost of getting the headers in and out make it expensive as they are inaccessible and labour is high

all of these options usually need a tune, not necessarily for a ton more power as the engines don't make a tone more unless you go FI, but to smooth things out and get the car where you want it...ecutek or uprev...

lots of people also do muffler deletes without problems independent of this...the overall sound will be a matter of your personal tastes
From what I've heard is that the resonated test pipes cause the exhaust to hiss. Headers aren't really something I'd want to do as you said it's difficult because of how accessible they are to reach.

I've heard muffler deletes and I didn't really like the sound they made and think that the stock exhaust sounds better than the muffler delete just my opinion. I like the noise it makes with the test pipes that aren't resonated since they've got that brute sound.

I'll have to do some research on the different exhaust notes with test pipes on youtube.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:43 PM
Dirty ol Dog

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
welcome to the forum GasMonkey. I like your idea, I have run my Harley ultra classic with basically straight pipes for 13 or so years. I've never had mechanical issues, my plugs are nice tan colour, compression is good, and there is little to no crud on the pistons.
maybe a set of test pipes and get a hold of FI and get them to make you a custom set minus the mufflers. Personally I would have them put the smallest resonator where the mufflers would be. Just to keep the troopers from going ape ****, you can point to the resonators and say...but sheriff, I do have mufflers...see? and if you can keep a straight face, tell him/her "that's a stock setup".
dude, what ever you end up doing, post a vid so we can have a listen.
cheers
Dirty
Sj4925 (05-26-2018)
Old 05-26-2018, 07:18 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Did your Harley come with cats? If not, then not germane to the disussion. And straight pipes DON'T save lives.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:02 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Are they born straight or do they choose to be straight pipes
Sj4925 (06-01-2018)
Old 05-26-2018, 11:02 PM
Sj4925

Originally Posted by Dirty ol Dog
welcome to the forum GasMonkey. I like your idea, I have run my Harley ultra classic with basically straight pipes for 13 or so years. I've never had mechanical issues, my plugs are nice tan colour, compression is good, and there is little to no crud on the pistons.
maybe a set of test pipes and get a hold of FI and get them to make you a custom set minus the mufflers. Personally I would have them put the smallest resonator where the mufflers would be. Just to keep the troopers from going ape ****, you can point to the resonators and say...but sheriff, I do have mufflers...see? and if you can keep a straight face, tell him/her "that's a stock setup".
dude, what ever you end up doing, post a vid so we can have a listen.
cheers
Dirty
I'll probably go with the set of test pipes and stock mufflers. Will have to hear how it sounds. Worst case is that I'd go with an exhaust system such as ARK but still rock some test pipes. I guess it's all about that personal preference. I'll have to experiment once I move out of Cali since the folks here are crazy about car modifications it's ridiculous. Will do man!

Quick Reply: Anyone straight piped their G37?