Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Broke off exhaust hanger stud. Wtf now?

Old 08-14-2017, 09:32 AM
nonlinearedits
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Broke off exhaust hanger stud. Wtf now?

Putting on my tanabe's yesterday, my passenger side had no issues getting the factory bolts off despite being 7 years old. I didn't have any PB blaster so I ended up hitting it with CLP (gun cleaner) and everything came right off and went on without issue. The driver side was a 2 hour ordeal. I didn't know the Tanabe's didn't come with new exhaust clamps and the bolt snapped off the OEM clamp in one turn. It was 9pm and I had work today so I sat out there with an angle grinder getting the bolt off and drilled a new hole through what was left of the old bolt and put some hardware I had laying around on it. I took the hangers off the car thinking that would make it easier to set up the new pipes for install and boy was I wrong. The drivers side rear-most hanger, the stud snapped off like 3 threads from the frame. I found another nut laying around and was able to get like 2-3 threads to grab, the other nut/stud had no issue.

My issue is, I have vibrant resonators coming in this week and I'd prefer to have the welder fix the stud and weld in the resonators all together so i don't have to pay for the labor to take the pipes off and put them back on twice now... I did about 40-50 miles with that nut barely grabbing on and it's still there, think it will be safe for the rest of the week until I can get in to get everything done at the same time? If that nut fails, am I risking the whole rear hanger breaking off, or will it just hang uneven? Just my luck lol.

I'm assuming an exhaust shop will have to grind the rest of the stud off and weld a new one on?
Old 08-14-2017, 07:08 PM
kroy
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
can't you use some metal zip ties? Or even thermal tape?
The following users liked this post:
nonlinearedits (08-14-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 08:48 PM
nonlinearedits
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by kroy
can't you use some metal zip ties? Or even thermal tape?
Stainless zipties, I didn't think of that. thanks dude! I was going to use safety wire but I opened my toolbox, I couldn't tell which was solder, safety wire or picture frame wire....

Search this Thread