Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Help Newbie question on exhaust/intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 01:34 PM
packotictacs
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie question on exhaust/intake

Been looking around watching videos and such and became real interested in the Motordyne Shockwave. But being a total mod noob here, I was just wondering if I wanted to buy this exhaust, do I need to buy an intake too?

And I saw this exhaust on two different sites. One seems to be the official Motordyne site and another is jmautosports. Anyone know if the JM one is good quality as well? It's like $200 off.

Thanks for the help in advance!
Old 05-01-2017, 02:44 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by packotictacs
Been looking around watching videos and such and became real interested in the Motordyne Shockwave. But being a total mod noob here, I was just wondering if I wanted to buy this exhaust, do I need to buy an intake too?

And I saw this exhaust on two different sites. One seems to be the official Motordyne site and another is jmautosports. Anyone know if the JM one is good quality as well? It's like $200 off.

Thanks for the help in advance!
Jm is legit.
You do not need intake.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:47 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
JM autosports is a site vendor they should be a good source.

And no, an intake isn't needed to complete the system. Your factory intake is actually a pretty efficient setup, some get aftermarket filters such as K&N drop ins to add to the factory intake.

Aftermarket intakes don't add a lot of gain, and most of the gains will be at the high rpm range while sacrificing low end punch. But they do add some nice sound at open throttle and dress up the engine bay. There are SRIs (Short Ram Intakes) that get the nice sound but have minimal gain, the true CAIs (Cold Air Intakes) have long tubes that extend into front grill area to draw cold air into the motor, this will be an improvement over the SRIs that draw heated air into the motor. SRIs are around $300 to $350 CAIs are $500+
Old 05-02-2017, 07:01 PM
packotictacs
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the clarification guys!

Another question: Since it being my first mod and all, I am worried if this is breaking any laws. Will I get stopped when I take my car in for check ups at the dealer or mechanics? Do I need to replace the original parts every time?
Old 05-02-2017, 07:23 PM
the93owner
Registered Member

Received 335 Likes on 261 Posts
Originally Posted by packotictacs
Thanks for the clarification guys!

Another question: Since it being my first mod and all, I am worried if this is breaking any laws. Will I get stopped when I take my car in for check ups at the dealer or mechanics? Do I need to replace the original parts every time?
The only real illegal part to modding is the removal/replacement of catalytic converters (such as with test pipes), and if you live in California, your intake needs to be CARB approved I believe. Other than that, there's no law being broken. The only thing you would have to watch out for if you bring it into the dealer is if you're claiming a warranty repair. The dealer might use aftermarket exhaust/modified components as an excuse to void your warranty.

Also if your exhaust ends up being too loud, it might attract some attention cops who may ticket you for making excessive noise.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:24 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Ofcourse. Depends what state law says.