Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

G37 Sedan Exhaust: What do get?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 11:31 PM
Stachuu
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
I like how Beluga axle back exhaust sounds, curious if it would fit awd sedan. Then throw in FI rhfc.

Also there is Top Speed Pro-1 Axle-Back Exhaust System for $289 on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/G35-G37-Seda...5YyaMT&vxp=mtr
Old 04-06-2017, 08:03 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Originally Posted by ReplicaR
I wanted to make a 95 Cobra R replica. The base for that would have been 94-95 GT in white with manual. But honestly, it was just a car that had a lot of mod potential, most of it for very little money, which was perfect for a full time college student. Add to that reliability and decent gas mileage, and that car ticked all the boxes for time being. As time went on, it got more and more focused on track, so it became weekend car.

If I were you, and had the budget, I'd do E36 M3. Fox and SN95 will never feel as good as E36 chassis does, and at the end the car is only as fast as the owner is willing to push it. E36 provides the chassis composure that you'll just never get with older mustangs. E36 is a great combination of speed, and affordability.

I've actually recently started my motorsport page on facebook, so if you feel like it, follow it, and you'll see some cool updates for both G37S and Mustang.

www.facebook.com/2khlisMotorsports
I cna see the focus towards the R set-up. The GT is solid too for that year. Get all the SN95 upgrades and retain the Fox motor. Really was a golden window before the mod motors started being put into the GT. I'd LOVE to get an M3 but I'm determined to go FI with the G so there is no way my better half is going to agree to let me have two cars to take to the track; let alone throw money at lol. That being said, I anticipate on having the G ready in the next 2 years - unless something comes up and I'm able to change plans.

Originally Posted by ReplicaR
Back on topic, is Tanabe the only axle back exhaust for the sedans?
for axle back, the choices expand quite a bit. You can go with Tanabe, Beluga, Megan Racing...they seem to be the most popular. You can go with the GT Haus but be prepared to blow your entire budget and then some. Expensive, but good lord do they sound good. I also think people only go this route because they're 'made' for the G37. You could honestly go with HKS, Magnaflow, Borla, Flowmaster etc. axle backs and have an exhaust shop do custom pipes. I don't see why it wouldn't work and why more people don't go this route.

Originally Posted by Stachuu
I like how Beluga axle back exhaust sounds, curious if it would fit awd sedan. Then throw in FI rhfc.

Also there is Top Speed Pro-1 Axle-Back Exhaust System for $289 on ebay.
G35 G37 Sedan 07-14 Top Speed Pro-1 Axle-Back Exhaust System (Bevel Edge Tips) | eBay
Beluga is a little raspy for my taste but it doesn't drive me nuts like a N/A 4-banger would. Any axle back should fit the AWD since it it past the pumpkin
Old 04-06-2017, 10:35 AM
ReplicaR
Registered Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
As far as I'm able to tell, Beluga doesn't make an axle back for sedans, coupes only. A buddy of mine had HKS on his 350Z, and he said that build quality was subpar, with welds coming apart pretty much all the time after a few years. Is there a site where I can I look at a bunch of them side by side and see which ones to get? Z1 Motorsports is the one that jumped out first, but their site layout is pretty poor.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:24 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

JM auto sports, Next level Performance, Tunerz store and B2 designs are popular ones but here's a link to the forum exhaust vendors section:

Engine/Intake/Exhaust - MyG37

Surprised about the HKS system, typically they're quality. Fortunately, there are options if you look for sedan axle backs but its just a reality that the coupe has more options. I did see a greddy, Borla and Magnaflow catback for the G on one of those sights though but getting sound clips might be difficult if they're unpopular
The following users liked this post:
JM Auto Racing (04-06-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 12:39 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Above is a link to a vid where someone did a Tanabe with a custom 2.25 pipe from cat back w/ resonator delete. Sounds pretty good if you ask me
Old 04-10-2017, 12:45 PM
ReplicaR
Registered Member

I do like that actually...
Old 04-10-2017, 01:58 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

The owner complained of a raspy tone around 3-4k RPMS and put in a 18'' Vibrant resonator which deepend the tone but I heard it and thought it might be the sound you're chasing.

Personally, I think this is one of the best "custom" set-ups in the Sedan section. That Tanabe comes to life with some custom piping.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:36 PM
ReplicaR
Registered Member

You know it's funny, I was listening to this video a few more times, and I finally figured out why I like the sound so much. It sounds a lot like E36 M3 for some reason, even though it's I6 and V6 engines.

Edit: Do you have the exact specs of that exhaust build? It would be sweet if I could replicate that, because I think that sounds sweet

Last edited by ReplicaR; 04-10-2017 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:20 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

It's a custom 2.25, Y-back with resonator delete and meets a set of Tanabe Mufflers. Makes you wonder what the 2.5 piping would sound like since that's what all the brand name sizes are. Then again, I believe GTHaus is 2.25 piping. It's a toss up for me between this setup with a resonator - gives it a bit of a deeper tone and an X-pipe with resonators leading to Magnaflow mufflers. That set-up would probably produce a really deep grumble which I prefer but I really like the set-up in the above post. It will probably come down to my mood the day of.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:30 PM
ReplicaR
Registered Member

So, I just called Tanabe, and found that their axle back is 50mm (1.96 inch) piping into the muffler, and 60mm (2.36 inch) out. Seems to me that going with 2.5 on this type of axle back is a totally overkill, when it gets reduced that much on the exit. I didn't realize that the exhaust is this tiny on this car. Seems that Tanabe makes a 70mm Y-pipe for the car, but everything seems so mismatched, that it almost takes me back to step 1 of research. I don't know if I would want to make a custom exhaust, use good sized piping and then dump it all into a stock sized pipe at the muffler.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:53 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Really?? You know, I wanna say I'm surprised since so many people go this route for a tone similar to stock but I guess I'm not. That Y pipe diameter is just...odd. Why in the world would they make it so random??

Repeating here, you really aren't going to make that much power from an exhaust swap; especially if the factory cats are left. So at the end of the day, it is purely for sound quality. Hate to say it, but you could get the $7,000 GTHaus system and make the same power as a $500 custom set-up with no name brand resonators and mufflers. I know you were looking into this and that set-up sounds awesome for maybe $900?

For that price have you heard these systems:

Old 04-11-2017, 03:37 PM
ReplicaR
Registered Member

Not too bad. I've looked into Invidia Q300, and it seems like quality kit, the piping is 60mm, so that's very adequate for stock G37 motor, and finish looks really nice as well. I've reached out to them, since they are local to where I live (SoCal), but they are out of stock at the moment. I've sent them an email, so let's see what happens once they restock.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:42 PM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
You can also try and fit a tomei single exit exhaust on your sedan. Seen it done before with some custom work. But, it is stupid light. The whole systems weighs only ~18lbs which saves around 50lbs versus stock. Made of titanium as well.

If you want the most gain, I would think the weight reduction helps alot versus the other options. But yeah, it also has that race sort of tone to it. I actually like it.
The following users liked this post:
RMB5190 (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 07:51 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

^Great point
Old 04-12-2017, 10:05 AM
ReplicaR
Registered Member

I had to take a look, and now I remember hearing it in person. This catback would be class legal, since I'm allowed to go single exit, however the online video refreshed my memory of how loud that thing was. I guess, while I'm leaning towards a racy exhaust tone, this thing is overkill