Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Help! Need a No-Drone exhaust.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 02:20 AM
MotoJB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I too am a 40+ y/o that wants something very "reserved", while getting more power and good sound under WOT. Idling and cruising in low rpms from light to light I want her quiet.

What did you end up going with?? I'm struggling. I think I like the sound of the stillen but definitely don't want the drone. Tanabe, Ark and Invidia just sound a bit too "ricer" for me. I think I may just go intake and skip the exhaust.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:54 AM
John B

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I took the leap on the topspeed exhaust after reading about the good and bad on the forum. I was assured that that the tips would not be jagged like some people said during a group buy and I as well as the shop that put it on was impressed by the looks and sound. It sounds so good when you take off and zero drone and interior resonance unless you are in a 6mt and sometimes are to lazy to down shift sometimes until you are back at the appropriate speed and gearing. Take a leap and it was $429 shipped to the house.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:56 AM
John B

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Oh, and it's not a ricer sound it's deep and throaty! Amplified stock sound IMO
Old 03-25-2013, 09:15 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by 1cleanG
I have MANY links to reviews for Fast Intentions.....
Best exhaust out there and absolutely zero drone.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:30 AM
IPL 370GT

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Powerhouse Amuse. My stock IPL exhaust was louder. Zero drone and a ridiculous weight savings.

Last edited by IPL 370GT; 03-25-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:26 AM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by MotoJB
I too am a 40+ y/o that wants something very "reserved", while getting more power and good sound under WOT. Idling and cruising in low rpms from light to light I want her quiet.

What did you end up going with?? I'm struggling. I think I like the sound of the stillen but definitely don't want the drone. Tanabe, Ark and Invidia just sound a bit too "ricer" for me. I think I may just go intake and skip the exhaust.
See if you can find a used Fujitsubo Legalis R. Stock sound, no drone, no rice.
Very tame. (It's no longer imported in the US)
It's identical to the factory exhaust, in fact Fujitsubo makes the OEM exhaust.

Speaking of Fujitsubo, here's his new company ARQRAY:Amplified Motorsport - AmplifiedMotorsport.com - performance audio auto accessories
Old 03-25-2013, 11:54 AM
IPL 370GT

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by TVPostSound
See if you can find a used Fujitsubo Legalis R. Stock sound, no drone, no rice.
Very tame. (It's no longer imported in the US)
It's identical to the factory exhaust, in fact Fujitsubo makes the OEM exhaust.

Speaking of Fujitsubo, here's his new company ARQRAY:Amplified Motorsport - AmplifiedMotorsport.com - performance audio auto accessories
Have to Agree with this^

I haven't heard the Fujitsubo on the G37, but had it on my 350z and loved it. Zero drone or rasp. The exhaust is very quiet but deep and sounds great at the woot! Fujitsubo makes many exhaust systems including the Nismo exhaust. Quality is great and price is great too add the tanabe Y-pipe or Fuji Y and you'll be very happy.

Everyone likes and runs the FI exhaust. The quality of fast intentions seems decent. Some say it's quiet but I cannot agree. I've heard several locals running the FI exhaust. Some with OEM cats, others with the RHFC's and one with test pipes. The FI is very loud IMO, even with stock cats. Fujitsubo/Nismo is half as loud.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:16 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
I think I like the sound of the stillen but definitely don't want the drone. Tanabe, Ark and Invidia just sound a bit too "ricer" for me.
You don't specify if you're referring to a coupe or sedan..

I have the invidia q300 on my sedan. Under normal driving (< 3K rpm), it's as quiet as can be, no drone, very very slightly louder than stock. At higher rpms, it does come alive, but not in a ricer way . Invidia makes 2 different models for the G37. For the sedan, they only had the Q300. I believe the other model is the Gemini which is available for the coupes.

On the hwy at 80 mph in 6th gear ~3K rpm, you barely hear the exhaust and can carry on a conversation easily. From either this thread or another thread, a few have complained about drone in the 7AT's, even with the fast intentions product. For once it pays to get the 6mt!!
Old 03-25-2013, 04:48 PM
dongagan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With Fast intentions exhaust, what if its driven in the "M" mode? Would that eliminate the slight drone? I'm looking at that exhaust as I have the FI RHFC.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:12 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Sam
I think the best non-droning catback is the stock one

I agree I love the sound of my G!
Old 05-22-2013, 01:42 AM
xceebeex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John B
I took the leap on the topspeed exhaust after reading about the good and bad on the forum. I was assured that that the tips would not be jagged like some people said during a group buy and I as well as the shop that put it on was impressed by the looks and sound. It sounds so good when you take off and zero drone and interior resonance unless you are in a 6mt and sometimes are to lazy to down shift sometimes until you are back at the appropriate speed and gearing. Take a leap and it was $429 shipped to the house.
Did they go back to the rolled tips or is it just a cleaner job? I might be interested in giving the TopSpeed exhaust a try.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:26 AM
buckets

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dongagan
With Fast intentions exhaust, what if its driven in the "M" mode? Would that eliminate the slight drone? I'm looking at that exhaust as I have the FI RHFC.
i have FI with 12 inch res on my awd sedan, and no even in M it still drones a lil, i dont mind it anymore. its not gonna give you a headache over long trip or anything, and there is the notorious HFC hiss to contend with between ~1600-2400 rpm, its quite noticeable. IPL370GT nailed when he said it is loud, on a cold startup especially. I dont regret buying it at all, it quieted down once it broke in plus it's american made, price wasnt bad neither.
The following users liked this post:
GTLAW (05-24-2013)
Old 06-29-2013, 03:08 PM
pg37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After a lot of time invested in research and problem solving, and going to the dealer a few times, I've realized that the drone comes from the 7at being lazy to downshift. It makes for REALLY bad drone with Stillen, perhaps less bad on others as some have stated.

There's also a problem of lag. The 7at tranny uses a lot of data in the drivetrain to calculate out the shifts. When you change the exhaust, you are modifying one of those parameters, and it appears the 7at doesn't know how to adjust correctly. In my case I have to nearly floor it to get it to change gears now. In other words, the automatic has become really lazy, like an old Buick or Lincoln town car. If I go to "M" mode it's fine, but D or DS suck. Oddly enough before the car has warmed up it drives much better, lending some weight to this argument.

To make a long story short, if you have a 7AT, and don't drive with your right foot planted all the time, you probably will regret changing your exhaust, at least, I know this to be the case with Stillen.

I like the sound at WOT, but its not worth the lag and drone the rest of the time.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:26 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by xceebeex
Did they go back to the rolled tips or is it just a cleaner job? I might be interested in giving the TopSpeed exhaust a try.
They had a run of the nice rolled tip version and are supposed to be getting more. I have zero regrets w/ mine, sounds great everywhere in the powerband except a slight window of drone in the 1500-1800 rpm range, but even the drone isn't obtrusive (at least to my 50 yr. old ears, lol).
Old 07-27-2013, 08:11 PM
mikeb2004

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I run a partially-gutted stock muffler on my G37 coupe.

No drone at all.

More sound when you step on it.

I plan to gut it a little more, some day, for more sound.

Cost: sawzall blade, and $40 to have someone weld it closed after I got done gutting it.

Quick Reply: Help! Need a No-Drone exhaust.