Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Air filters

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 08:15 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by jojobucks
Two K&N drop in filters will cost you over $120. I did a lot of research on the K&N filters and the only benefit of a K&N is the reusable aspect and maybe a very very small increase in HP (maybe 1 or 2 at most). You pay for this increase in HP because if more air is allowed to pass through a K&N for this very small increase in HP, the air will not be filtered as well. I have 128 HP in my G37, I don't need 130 at the cost of inferior air filtration. Rochester is correct, you get plecebo like gains, not worth the cost.
Are you only using odd numbered cylinders?
Old 04-20-2012, 09:33 PM
jojobucks
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jump back Black Betty, I meant to say 328 HP. My mistake. I still maintain, I don't need a microscopic increase in HP at the expense of inferior air filtration. I am currently bumping heads with a guy on you tube that claims a K&N will increase gas mileage. Absolutely 100% incorrect. No air filter made will increase gas mileage on a modern car. The more air entering an engine--the more gas will be metered for correct combustion. If your air filters are 50% plugged, your HP will suffer, but your gas mileage will not change at all. In the old days of carbureters, a dirty air filter would affect gas mileage, not today. I rest my case.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:57 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

I was just yanking your chain over the typo, I do it all the time.

Your logic is going to fall mostly on deaf ears here. If people want to buy $120 worth of air filters that they can buy for $12 to $15, who am I to stop them? If they keep the car at least 10 years or more they'll pay for themselves. If not its just another mod that makes people feel peace of mind because they feel they have a higher quality product or that it increases their car's performance. I'll stick to my $7 Wix filters.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:12 AM
cy7878

Originally Posted by Black Betty
I was just yanking your chain over the typo, I do it all the time.

Your logic is going to fall mostly on deaf ears here. If people want to buy $120 worth of air filters that they can buy for $12 to $15, who am I to stop them? If they keep the car at least 10 years or more they'll pay for themselves. If not its just another mod that makes people feel peace of mind because they feel they have a higher quality product or that it increases their car's performance. I'll stick to my $7 Wix filters.

BB is right. at $7 a piece for WIX filters on Rockauto.com, that's like having lunch at McDonolds....

Please ignore my 2 cents cheaper comment. I thought you were talkinbg about the Fram filters.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:53 PM
blackhawksfan81

Originally Posted by dkmura
Gotta call you on this statement. This problem occurs for those who over-oil their K&N filters. I've used them for years on my Nissans and Infinitis with MAFs and never suffered any problems. But I've also seen people who oil both sides of the filter (I usually oil only the side of the filter facing outwards) and put too much on. That's asking for trouble.

As for airflow causing "droplets of oil pull out of the foam element", the K&Ns in my SCCA and NASA 350Zs are run at high speed for far longer than any street driven car. Never had a problem with the MAFs getting fouled (despite cleaning and oiling the elements multiple times) over many years.
Fair enough and I'm glad you've had good experience with them. Definitely appreciate the purpose on a track setting where squeezing out that extra 1 or 2 horsepower makes a difference.

MAF quality and design probably plays a factor, too. I remember seeing nothing but problems with oiled filters on early 90s Fords.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:57 PM
blackhawksfan81

Originally Posted by cy7878
BB is right. at $7 a piece for WIX filters on Rockauto.com, that's like having lunch at McDonolds....

Please ignore my 2 cents cheaper comment. I thought you were talkinbg about the Fram filters.
I got ripped off I paid closer to $11 for my WIX.

I personally refuse to use FRAM products. Their air filters are probably fine, but I avoid the company all together. I'd rather use a toilet paper filter than a FRAM.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:13 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by blackhawksfan81
Fair enough and I'm glad you've had good experience with them. Definitely appreciate the purpose on a track setting where squeezing out that extra 1 or 2 horsepower makes a difference.

MAF quality and design probably plays a factor, too. I remember seeing nothing but problems with oiled filters on early 90s Fords.
I'll have to disagree with this point. 1 or 2 HP is thoroughly insignificant in any form of autosport other than dyno racing. I'll take a better handling, well balanced car that is 10 HP less than a competitor's car and still outpace him lap after lap if his suspension setup isn't as good. Look at F1 for example where last season the Red Bull cars powered by Renault engines were consistently some of the slowest on the grid in the speed trap and yet they won almost every race and ran away with the constructor's championship by a record margin. By contrast Mercedes powered cars were by far the fastest and they didn't even come close. Even in drag racing, it isn't important. A good reaction time will top a slightly more powerful engine every single time. Peak HP number is useless.

But back on topic, none of us know the filtration efficiency of any of these filters. Without that information any comparison data is useless. So if someone want to spend $37 on an OEM filter they could buy for $6, more power to them. Those same owners feel better paying $120 for a dealership synthetic oil change than DIY for $35 or $40. They are paying for their peace of mind becasue it makes them feel more confident somehow. The K&N marketing machine touts that their filters will last the lifetime of the car which is great. But you'd have to be on your 11th set of throw away filters for you to have any cost benefit, and that's only if you don't have to spend any money at all on their oil used to reoil them or the cleaner they sell to clean them. That's a long way into your ownership before any financial benefit is seen. If you're going to keep the car over 15 years they make sense. Otherwise, no.

To each his own.

Last edited by Black Betty; 04-21-2012 at 04:09 PM. Reason: oops
Old 04-21-2012, 03:45 PM
hobbs
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by jojobucks
Two K&N drop in filters will cost you over $120. I did a lot of research on the K&N filters and the only benefit of a K&N is the reusable aspect and maybe a very very small increase in HP (maybe 1 or 2 at most). You pay for this increase in HP because if more air is allowed to pass through a K&N for this very small increase in HP, the air will not be filtered as well. I have 128 HP in my G37, I don't need 130 at the cost of inferior air filtration. Rochester is correct, you get plecebo like gains, not worth the cost.
Paid less than $40 each.

Amazon.com: K&N 33-2399 Panel Air Filter: Automotive

K & N filters let dirt through? I don't think so, they were originally designed for off road motorcycle racing in the Southern California desert in the late 60s early 70s, District #38. I have used them on a VW Beetle, VW Sirocco, Olds Diesel, Integra R, MR-2, Acura CL-S, IS300 and my G37 and NEVER had a problem. UOA from Blackstone Labs also says they work fine. DO NOT OVER OIL and you will be fine.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:54 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
But back on topic, none of us know the filtration efficiency of any of these filters. Without that information any comparison data is useless. So if someone want to spend $37 on an OEM filter they could buy for $6, more power to them. Those same owners feel better paying $120 for a dealership synthetic oil change than DIY for $35 or $40. They are paying for their piece of mind becasue it makes them feel more confident somehow. The K&N marketing machine touts that their filters will last the lifetime of the car which is great. But you'd have to be on your 11th set of throw away filters for you to have any cost benefit, and that's only if you don't have to spend any money at all on their oil used to reoil them or the cleaner they sell to clean them. That's a long way into your ownership before any financial benefit is seen. If you're going to keep the car over 15 years they make sense. Otherwise, no.

To each his own.
Some genius in marketing is making a fortune on that concept. You can't put a price tag on peace of mind!!
Old 04-21-2012, 04:11 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by Jsolo
Some genius in marketing is making a fortune on that concept. You can't put a price tag on peace of mind!!
More importantly, did I just write "peice of mind"? Wow. I must be losing brain cells as I age. Next thing you know I'll be asking for advice on bleeding my breaks.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:56 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
More importantly, did I just write "peice of mind"? Wow. I must be losing brain cells as I age. Next thing you know I'll be asking for advice on bleeding my breaks.
Or how to best configure the dampening on your struts.

badump bump
Old 04-21-2012, 05:22 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by Rochester
Or how to best configure the dampening on your struts.

badump bump
Ouch! My excuse is that after so much exposure to both the content and the grammar of many of the posts on the forum for such an extended period of time I am experiencing mental regression. Myg37.com is actually making me dumber!
Old 04-21-2012, 05:35 PM
dimsler
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
AFE are the best drop-ins for our cars.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:42 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Ouch! My excuse is that after so much exposure to both the content and the grammar of many of the posts on the forum for such an extended period of time I am experiencing mental regression. Myg37.com is actually making me dumber!
Betty, I've got over 10k posts on Maxima.org, so you can believe me when I say the grammar here is vastly superior to the posts on the Org. There's no contest.

However, when it comes to conversations about lease rates, and that thread the other day from a guy who needed immediate advice on which headers *and* HFC's to buy for the same install... You don't see a lot of that nonsense on the Org.

I digress. Shoot me.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:07 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

I've been on the org for a long time but seldom ever post. Lately I have been because my 4th gen has come out of hibernation and needs some work that I'm not familiar with. The general attitude in the 4th gen forum is MUCH better than it was years ago where any question could earn an immediate flaming even if it was legit. I've been getting excellent advice on repairing my AC system.
[/thread jack]

Quick Reply: Air filters