Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Is a "tune" needed after installing an CAI such as STillen Gen3 or Takeda?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Wyldfyer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is a "tune" needed after installing an CAI such as STillen Gen3 or Takeda?

I have seen guys talking about getting a tune at different points upon adding bolt-ons. Is this necessary if you've only put on a CAI Intake so far? And what exactly constitutes a "tune"? Is that going to a shop and getting them to adjust things such as A/F ratio, timing, etc?

I installed the Takeda Attack CAI yesterday and If I'm not mistaken, I feel like there has been a power loss so far. Perhaps Im now running too lean.

Overall, I am a little put off on modding the G. When I took the stock intake off, I see that it IS a form of CAI (it has an opening in the box where fresh air from the front goes directly into the filter). the bottom end power is better at stock. (unless a tune will fix that). I really just did the mod for sound so I didnt expect much of a gain. But a LOSS?

I sure miss the Z-tube mod from the G35 days, LOL. That sounded GREAT!
Old 03-12-2012, 01:01 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Nope. I wouldn't get a tune until you're done modding.

Just my opinion.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:03 PM
Wyldfyer

Originally Posted by Mattster
Nope. I wouldn't get a tune until you're done modding.

Just my opinion.
What constitutes a tune?
Old 03-12-2012, 01:10 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Wyldfyer
What constitutes a tune?
I would imagine any time you either flash your ecu with a preprogrammed "tune" or put it on a dyno and have a "custom tune" flashed onto your ecu.

I'm not completely sure on all of the settings that are adjusted, however, a/f ratio, timing, redline, etc can all be adjusted in a "tune"

https://www.myg37.com/forums/modding...t-systems.html

Check that out for a bit of info.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:13 PM
Fentress24

I have heard intake and cat-back exhaust is when you should really get a tune. I have the Gen 3's and the Tanabe Axle-back and I have talked to a few people who have said it isn't really worth it unless you get the full cat-back. I don't have personal experience with a tune yet, but that is what I have heard.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:36 PM
Wyldfyer

Originally Posted by Fentress24
I have heard intake and cat-back exhaust is when you should really get a tune. I have the Gen 3's and the Tanabe Axle-back and I have talked to a few people who have said it isn't really worth it unless you get the full cat-back. I don't have personal experience with a tune yet, but that is what I have heard.
Thanks bro! Good info!
Old 03-12-2012, 01:37 PM
Wyldfyer

Originally Posted by Mattster
I would imagine any time you either flash your ecu with a preprogrammed "tune" or put it on a dyno and have a "custom tune" flashed onto your ecu.

I'm not completely sure on all of the settings that are adjusted, however, a/f ratio, timing, redline, etc can all be adjusted in a "tune"

https://www.myg37.com/forums/modding...t-systems.html

Check that out for a bit of info.
Thanks bro!
Old 03-12-2012, 01:56 PM
datboiroy

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the Gen3, Berk HFC, and Ark Exhaust. I will be getting a tune once I switch out to Art test pipes and Motordyne intake manifold.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:58 PM
mtrsprt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Far too many people pay for tunes that aren't necessary. The only time you really need a tune is when you reach the upper limits of the engine management systems. A mass air flow type management system observes the amount of any extra incoming/outgoing air and compensates for it with a scaling system. A tune is usually needed when major changes to an engine are made, such as heavily ported heads,cams, compression ratio, RPM increases etc, but only if these changes considerably reach the margin of threshold on the stock type ECU system. When higher cylinder pressures are present in means of increasing massive amounts of horsepower, then timing and small tweaks (sometimes large) of the WOT fuel/spark table may be needed, and this is where tuning can make or break a setup. For any intake/CAI addition, a tune is not necessary, but a more aggressive spot on tune along with these additions together would maximize any benefit of the part that may help airflow through the engine.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:46 PM
Wyldfyer

Originally Posted by mtrsprt
Far too many people pay for tunes that aren't necessary. The only time you really need a tune is when you reach the upper limits of the engine management systems. A mass air flow type management system observes the amount of any extra incoming/outgoing air and compensates for it with a scaling system. A tune is usually needed when major changes to an engine are made, such as heavily ported heads,cams, compression ratio, RPM increases etc, but only if these changes considerably reach the margin of threshold on the stock type ECU system. When higher cylinder pressures are present in means of increasing massive amounts of horsepower, then timing and small tweaks (sometimes large) of the WOT fuel/spark table may be needed, and this is where tuning can make or break a setup. For any intake/CAI addition, a tune is not necessary, but a more aggressive spot on tune along with these additions together would maximize any benefit of the part that may help airflow through the engine.
AWESOME RESPONSE! This is along the lines that I have always thought. We've done engine build ups, forced induction, etc. And in those cases, yes a tune was needed. But since I've only had this car for 4 months, I don't know a lot about it. So I have to defer to the guys on the forum.

BTW, I believe I am starting to feel the gains. I guess I was impatient and didn't allow the CPU to do it's thing initially. It does feels stronger now. But not the sound that I was hoping for. Perhaps it can be heard more from the outside. I dunno.

Thanks bro!
Old 03-12-2012, 03:50 PM
mtrsprt

Originally Posted by Wyldfyer
AWESOME RESPONSE! This is along the lines that I have always thought. We've done engine build ups, forced induction, etc. And in those cases, yes a tune was needed. But since I've only had this car for 4 months, I don't know a lot about it. So I have to defer to the guys on the forum.

BTW, I believe I am starting to feel the gains. I guess I was impatient and didn't allow the CPU to do it's thing initially. It does feels stronger now. But not the sound that I was hoping for. Perhaps it can be heard more from the outside. I dunno.

Thanks bro!
The ECU doesn't learn anything for WOT. These are set tables. Adaptive learning is only active for part throttle cruise, and idle characteristic. There's a 25% margin it can correct for.

From what I have experienced in the past 17 years of modifying EFI engines, you basically need to increase your power by about 5% in order to "FEEL" a difference. 90% of the times, any increases below that are a case of the "Placebo effect" So a 330hp VQ engine would need to make appx. 17hp more minimum in order to really "feel" the gain.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:46 PM
ZiggZagg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So if I were to install a takeda air intake in my g37 coupe I wouldn't NEED a tune to get the horsepower it claims it adds?
Old 11-13-2017, 12:41 AM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by ZiggZagg
So if I were to install a takeda air intake in my g37 coupe I wouldn't NEED a tune to get the horsepower it claims it adds?
Good search .. In a perfect world, you'd buy and install all of your parts and get a tune so you could get the most out of them. Most people just bolt everything on and drive it, which is totally fine, you'll definitely still gain some power but not as efficient as it could be.

To answer your question, yes you would need a tune to get THEE numbers they advertise.. The numbers from their site are almost definitely WITH a tune after installing the intakes so they can advertise the largest gains.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:13 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
You feel torque not horsepower
Old 11-21-2017, 04:22 AM
Jeremyyn

You’ll “feel” any gains made, TQ or HP. But with these low end mods you’re most likely only feeling a healthier running motor and some TQ

Tunes necessary after major mods not simple bolt ons.mainly... but get one when you can to have a proper flow of air