Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

K&N Air Filter +HP??

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 02:19 PM
11_xS_coupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K&N Air Filter +HP??

I searched the mod section, didnt find anything really pertaining to if you actually make HP gains from changing air filter.

My buddy has 06 G35 and claims he had small but still noticable gains from replacing the stock filter with a K&N high flow air filter.

I know there 60 bucks a pop, we would need 2. Anyone hear put these on and notice any gains??

33-2399 - K&N Replacement Filters, Replacement Air Filter
Old 03-10-2011, 02:22 PM
Frankyg37s

1-2 hp at most
Old 03-10-2011, 02:38 PM
Calgarywinger

That is only true for older carburated engines when air is forced down the carb's throat. Our engines are fuel injected and the gas/air ratio is very precisely adjusted by the ECU. As is typical in almost every engine with FI there's plenty enough air to ensure optimum gas/air mixture to run at maximum efficiency.
The only thing a K&N filter gets you is that you can re-use the elements after cleaning them versus throwing out the traditional OEM paper units.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:43 PM
Bo2point0

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Calgarywinger
That is only true for older carburated engines when air is forced down the carb's throat. Our engines are fuel injected and the gas/air ratio is very precisely adjusted by the ECU. As is typical in almost every engine with FI there's plenty enough air to ensure optimum gas/air mixture to run at maximum efficiency.
The only thing a K&N filter gets you is that you can re-use the elements after cleaning them versus throwing out the traditional OEM paper units.
You are correct sir.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:48 PM
11_xS_coupe

Originally Posted by Calgarywinger
That makes total sense. Thanks for the response. Prob worth it anyways in the long run instead of changing every 15k or so.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:59 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
How does Jim Wolf claim 6-10 HP gains for the dual intakes, then? And Stillen?

The only difference between a K&N filter and the Jim Wolf is the color. Admittedly, we're talking the whole intake line and not just the filter element, but I fail to see a significant difference. At least one that would make a 6-10 hp difference, anyway.

*shrug*
Old 03-10-2011, 03:21 PM
11_xS_coupe

Originally Posted by MACS
How does Jim Wolf claim 6-10 HP gains for the dual intakes, then? And Stillen?

The only difference between a K&N filter and the Jim Wolf is the color. Admittedly, we're talking the whole intake line and not just the filter element, but I fail to see a significant difference. At least one that would make a 6-10 hp difference, anyway.

*shrug*
pretty sure youd have to compare that pop charger your talking about to K&N's typhoon Intake system, not sure though. ANd K&N claim a gain of 14hp on the typhoon. Anyone know?
Heres the Dyno: http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/69-7078_dyno.pdf

Last edited by 11_xS_coupe; 03-10-2011 at 03:32 PM. Reason: found new info
Old 03-10-2011, 04:44 PM
briann510

Ok, go dyno a stock air filtered g37, then throw a K&N on and dyno again. There will be a difference and always will be. Take the filter off completely and dyno and there will be a difference from the other 2. Filters do make a difference but not a whole helluva lot unless its boosted but there will always be more hp with an aftermarket filter. If you are in doubt go try it....
Old 03-10-2011, 10:14 PM
MoonliteMadness

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 11_xS_coupe
I searched the mod section, didnt find anything really pertaining to if you actually make HP gains from changing air filter.

My buddy has 06 G35 and claims he had small but still noticable gains from replacing the stock filter with a K&N high flow air filter.

I know there 60 bucks a pop, we would need 2. Anyone hear put these on and notice any gains??

33-2399 - K&N Replacement Filters, Replacement Air Filter
As others have posted, the hp gain from the drop-in panel filters are barely noticeable. You need two, so it will cost you about $100 from Amazon (including shipping). For $317 I would recommend the K&N short-ram cold air intake. I purchased one last fall and love it. It was easy to install and the added power can definitely be felt when accelerating hard. The best part is the sound from under the hood! Definitely worth the money. There are other cold air intakes on the market, but they cost almost double and are more difficult to install. Check it out here:

K&N COLD AIR INTAKE 69-7078TS 09 10 INFINITI G37 3.7L - eBay (item 290439277991 end time Mar-22-11 1446 PDT)
Old 03-11-2011, 06:56 AM
nydealer

^^ stillen gen 3 ftw lolz
Old 03-11-2011, 09:15 AM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't see how you will get more performance by switching
air filter elements or going to a complete new air intake,
unless Infiniti purposely put stock air filters on that do not
let enough air flow into the engine.
The only thing that would convince me would be real world
testing, on a drag strip, with several runs using the stock air
intake and several with the aftermarket system.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:45 AM
s2ktoEvo

The theory behind it is that the stock intake is restrictive and the engine has to work harder to pull in air, thus leeching power that could be used for other things. This is true whether it is a fuel injected or carb engine.

The problem I have is most modern intakes from the factory are actually pretty good. Changing them out doesn't do nearly as much as they did back in the early 80's when they used a restrictive intake as a method for controlling emissions by restricting power. The early Ecu's couldn't do nearly as much as they do now.

There's a reason all these after market intakes all say "MAY" increase hp by X amount instead of WILL. You can dyno a car everyday for a week and get a different result so they just took the worst they got stock and the best they got with the intake and use it for marketing the product without actually falsifying data.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:55 AM
Calgarywinger

A couple of thoughts about air intakes:
The filter element itself has very little effect on performance so re-usable or throw-away hardly makes any difference.
Intake systems, on the other hand, are designed to optimize the air flow through the intake. Typically, air flowing at speed through a pipe will laminate in layers (fastest velocity in the center of the pipe, slowest velocity nearer to the pipe's walls), bends in the pipe will cause vortices, this is called cavitation and will affect the smooth delivery of air to the fuel injection system. Tuned air intakes are designed to eliminate as much cavitation as possible thus delivering a linear flow. The ECU has been programmed to mix gas and air according to engine demand and uses "mapping" to determine just how much air should be mixed for optimum combustion, higher gas/air ratio= richer mix, lower gas/air ratio= leaner mix.
s2KtoEvo is absolutely right in that if you have a high performance race engine air flow becomes an important factor and a dyno will show that, but for production engines like ours the difference is so minimal that any gain or losses on a dyno could also be attributed to the day's ambient temp, the condition of the plugs or any number of other factors.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:09 AM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
you butt dyno wont notice a change..save up and get a intake
Old 03-11-2011, 11:10 AM
3Pedals

if you put the sticker that comes with it on your rear side windows, you'll def get another 5-7 hp

Quick Reply: K&N Air Filter +HP??