Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Backpressure: The MYTH and Why It's Wrong

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 08:26 AM
mikelr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Sam
Then why does it "hurt" performance when going from an x-pipe setup to a straight pipe setup in the catback? (given the same piping diameter)
In V6 engines where there is more than one exhaust bank, X-pipes work on the same principle of using the low pressure component of an exhaust pulse from one bank to increase the velocity of the next exhaust pulse from the other. Linking the two banks of the engine in this way more closely times the exhaust pulses increasing velocity and VE.
The following users liked this post:
hooey_b (10-18-2015)
Old 03-25-2010, 08:40 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
Makes sense, what do you mean by VE though?
Old 03-25-2010, 09:25 AM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike
The write-up refers to any and all backpressure on the exhaust side of the engine. Although it doesn't specifically mention turbo manifolds, it is directly applicable. Why do you think Log manifolds typically underperform vs tubular manifolds, which typically underperform vs equal length manifolds, which will typically underperform vs a divided equal length manifold? Backpressure is backpressure, regardless of if there is a turbo in the exhaust system or not. Nowhere in the article does it mention a catback exhaust. It does, however, go down to the pulse level, which would originate directly out of the engine and into the collector.

Do you have any experience at all with serious modifications and the physics/theory behind them? Every post you make just makes you lose credibility; bolt-ons do not count.
First of all, I was not trying to disagree with you. No need to get so defensive. It is true that turboed car needs exhaust velocity, but it is different from from N/A cars. While you want the biggest catback that maintains high exhaust velocity in an N/A car, turboed car would benefit from the largest catback you can slap on there period. Downstream of the turbos, no restriction is more important than exhaust velocity. That's all I was trying to say.

I dont think there's a need to question anyone's credibility. I'm one of the very few people that installed a TT kit on the G37. I wouldnt count that as a bolt-on. I've done extensive research on the topic.

If you expect all comments to be "oh mike you're so great", and bark at anyone that challenges your ideas, then I think it's time to grow up.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:38 AM
mikelr

Makes sense, what do you mean by VE though?
Volumetric Efficiency
Old 03-25-2010, 10:12 AM
JLai

Originally Posted by mikelr
In V6 engines where there is more than one exhaust bank, X-pipes work on the same principle of using the low pressure component of an exhaust pulse from one bank to increase the velocity of the next exhaust pulse from the other. Linking the two banks of the engine in this way more closely times the exhaust pulses increasing velocity and VE.
I believe the term you're looking for is "scavenging effect".

OP, great post. I agree that back pressure is often misunderstood/misused.
The following users liked this post:
hooey_b (10-18-2015)
Old 03-25-2010, 10:21 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Cool

Volumetric Efficiency
Of the engine or of the exhaust piping? Can you elaborate please?
Old 03-25-2010, 10:24 AM
mikelr

Of the engine or of the exhaust piping? Can you elaborate please?
I guess you could say of the engine by way of the exhaust design or based on the system as a whole.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:32 AM
mikelr

Originally Posted by JLai
I believe the term you're looking for is "scavenging effect".

OP, great post. I agree that back pressure is often misunderstood/misused.
"Scavenging effect" is the end result but I thought it would serve Sam better to explain how X-pipes work as opposed to just throwing out terms.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:03 AM
JLai

"Scavenging effect" is the end result but I thought it would serve Sam better to explain how X-pipes work as opposed to just throwing out terms.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:11 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Aaah makes sense now, what's the difference in scavenging effects between x-pipes, y-pipes and h-pipes though?
Old 03-25-2010, 12:02 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good read
Old 03-25-2010, 12:34 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Aaah makes sense now, what's the difference in scavenging effects between x-pipes, y-pipes and h-pipes though?
I'm not sure what the difference between X and Y pipes are for net gains, but I do know that properly engineered H-pipes will have the same performance gain as a X pipe. The key is that the exhaust pulse overlap on the H-pipe has to be the same as an X pipe for the performance gain to be the same. The difference is the sound; X-pipes give a higher pitched sound, while H-pipes give a lower sound. (Think regular Vette with a catback and stock H-pipe [which btw is crap], and a Vette with a X-pipe and catback)

Z06 with Exhaust

YouTube - 2008 Corvette Z06 with Corsa Exhaust and CAI - Auto Addiction ltd

Z06 with Exhaust and X-pipe

YouTube - 2008 Corvette Z06 With Corsa Mufflers and X Pipe By Serious Autosport

Note how the first clip has that typical "beefy american muscle" sound, while the second one doesn't.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:41 PM
Lucky_One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont know much about exhaust, and your write up gives a good idea of how it works. thanks for the write up.

question: Several people after changing exhaust components such as HFCs or full catbacks sometimes develop the hissing sound on deceleration around the cat converter area. is the sound due to pressure and velocity? is air flowing reverse and back into the engine?
Old 03-25-2010, 01:53 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Awesome. Love technical stuff like this. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:47 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
If you're here to learn, check out these articles:
!Header Basics
Tuning the LET - Exhaust
The truth about exhaust backpressure and torque

This is neat in that it shows how important each and every part is in an engine. It's about collectors but still applies somewhat to the discussion at hand. If nothing else, read the last paragraph on this one:
http://www.jgenginedynamics.com/Adob...collectors.pdf

I'm still looking for a specific one that I can not find right now.

Quick Reply: Backpressure: The MYTH and Why It's Wrong