Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Review Injen Short Ram Intake w/ DYNO

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 12:14 AM
G-Spot37s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do any of these intakes actually make any real power? Too many have been comming out and they all apear to be "noise makers" and nothing else. I am running HKS hybrids at the moment just because they are better than stock and not expecting any power. Is there an intake worth spending $ on??
Old 05-21-2009, 12:24 AM
KnoxvilleG37

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by myk1013
^ Justin, you gotta post sound clips of that combo. For my reference. LOL.
I absolutely will. The Tanabe should be here next week due to the holiday.

Originally Posted by TJHG37S
you're like a crackhead now man....but the mod pipe down!!!
I know I know....it's a sickness. I swear, the Tanabe is the last thing I'm buying for a while. I EVENTUALLY will get around to those Brake Performance rotors, but I've gotta pay off my Tanabe and Injens first. LOL.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:46 AM
RedG37SNC

Originally Posted by KnoxvilleG37
I absolutely will. The Tanabe should be here next week due to the holiday.

I know I know....it's a sickness. I swear, the Tanabe is the last thing I'm buying for a while. I EVENTUALLY will get around to those Brake Performance rotors, but I've gotta pay off my Tanabe and Injens first. LOL.
You know for only $275 you can add a ED Y-Pipe... take a look at the stock 1.75" y-pipe vs ED 2.5" Y-pipe pic... for the love of humanity let your engine breath... ha I feel like a drug pusher.

Last edited by RedG37SNC; 05-21-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:52 AM
KnoxvilleG37

Originally Posted by RedG37SNC
You know for only $275 you can add a ED Y-Pipe... take a look at the stock 1.75" y-pipe vs ED 2.5" Y-pipe pic... for the love of humanity let your exhaust breath... ha I feel like a drug pusher.
Yeah dude, you practically just shot heroin in my veins! HA HA, j/k. Actually let me ask a newbie question.....I know my exchanging the Y-pipe it will allow the engine to breathe easier since it's not as restrictive....but my question is, will my MPG take a hit in any way? I'd like to hover around my 19.5-20 mpg mark I'm at right now.

Also, will adding a larger diameter Y-pipe make the Tanabe exhaust louder or not? I don't wanna be REALLY loud, just louder than stock.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:08 AM
RedG37SNC

Yeah dude, you practically just shot heroin in my veins! HA HA, j/k. Actually let me ask a newbie question.....I know my exchanging the Y-pipe it will allow the engine to breathe easier since it's not as restrictive....but my question is, will my MPG take a hit in any way? I'd like to hover around my 19.5-20 mpg mark I'm at right now.

Also, will adding a larger diameter Y-pipe make the Tanabe exhaust louder or not? I don't wanna be REALLY loud, just louder than stock.
They will make it louder so honestly I wouldn't recommend them based on what you're looking for, fuel wise I haven't noticed a difference.

When you first put on the Tanabe's the will be louder then after they break in which takes a few days and then they'll tone down quite a bit and be perfect for a sedan. If it tones down too much for you however, the y-pipe is an easy fix.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:24 AM
willizm

Those numbers are really low. My mustang dyno for the G with mods was at 307hp/240tq. I would imagine yours would be at most a little below mine.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:13 AM
Raizon

Is there any difference using one of these aftermarket y-pipes than getting customized pipes from a local exhaust shop?
Old 05-21-2009, 10:34 AM
RedG37SNC

Nobodies ever done the dyno to prove one way or the other that I know of. Motordyne's been the only one I've seen actually claim a design advantage over just build quality:

XYZ the ultimate Y-pipe! For the best sound, power and versatility, look no further. The Motordyne XYZ-Pipe is a high performance Y-pipe unlike any other.

In its development phase many different merge distances and merge angles were dyno tested. With a range of tested Y merge distances ranging from very close to very far from the engine and with merge angles from high to low, it was found that engine performance was degraded if the Y merge point was too close or too far from the engine or if the merge angle was to high or too low. The Motordyne XYZ pipe merges the exhaust gasses at the optimum distance and angle.

With several data points analyzed a curve was generated and it showed that when the merge angle was correct, the optimum ''Y-pipe'' length peaked at 16in. A 16in long Y-pipe would normally be too short of a Y-pipe to fit in the stock location so an extension was added behind it to connect it with the midpipe flange. This extension is what created a new opportunity to incorporate a resonator to improve sound quality. It also opened up the opportunity for an add on catalytic converter. Both of these options become even more advantageous when test pipes are used.
By incorporating a resonator or even a catalytic converter in the XYZ-pipe it allows you to take advantage of the higher power gains available with test pipes without sacrificing the sound quality, power or exhaust smell. And all the extensions (or modules) can be easily and quickly changed out with the supplied V-band clamp.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:39 AM
jsingh

My fuel consumption has actually gotten better for hwy mileage. I drive 160km a day, most of that is hwy and my driving habits have remained the same as when I was at stock. I don't know how and I'm not going to qn it. I put the Injen SRI, Greddy and Ichiba Y-pipe on all together.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:43 AM
KnoxvilleG37

Originally Posted by jsingh
My fuel consumption has actually gotten better for hwy mileage. I drive 160km a day, most of that is hwy and my driving habits have remained the same as when I was at stock. I don't know how and I'm not going to qn it. I put the Injen SRI, Greddy and Ichiba Y-pipe on all together.
Ok man...sounds good! Thanks. I might look into it after I see how the Tanabe breaks in. If I like it "as is", I'll leave it, but if it gets too quiet, here comes the ED or Tanabe Y-pipe.

Last edited by KnoxvilleG37; 05-23-2009 at 10:06 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:31 PM
Q8y_drifter

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts
i'm a bit lost.

Run 1 (Before) = 257WHP / 213TQ
Run 2 (After) = 255WHP / 209TQ

you got 2hp less and 4tq less in run two which is AFTER??
Old 05-23-2009, 07:45 PM
oOmikeyboy
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

Originally Posted by willizm
Those numbers are really low. My mustang dyno for the G with mods was at 307hp/240tq. I would imagine yours would be at most a little below mine.
307hp w/ a mustang dyno?? Does that mean your doing like 330-340 on a dynojet?
Old 05-24-2009, 01:44 AM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Q8y_drifter
i'm a bit lost.

Run 1 (Before) = 257WHP / 213TQ
Run 2 (After) = 255WHP / 209TQ

you got 2hp less and 4tq less in run two which is AFTER??
haha i know i think he mixed it up. if you read the dyno charts, run 1 is with the intake and run 2 is "stock."

either way, i would've expected a tad bit more out of the intakes. i'd love to see someone else (maybe even you) do a dyno run from bone stock to intake only like bruin did.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:54 AM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I didnt know you could get the SRI in black
Old 05-24-2009, 04:24 PM
willizm

Originally Posted by oOmikeyboy
307hp w/ a mustang dyno?? Does that mean your doing like 330-340 on a dynojet?
Don't know, just saying that if you are on a mustang dyno and I was on the same 'type' of dyno then our numbers should be a little closer. Don't get me wrong, I know all dynos even the same type are going to have variances and calibration, but just surprised your numbers were low.

Quick Reply: Review Injen Short Ram Intake w/ DYNO