Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Intakes less response???

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 04:36 PM
SilverRSXJezus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djkmac
I was under the impression intakes actually increase gas mileage because they provide more air than stock intakes. Which in return, your engine uses more air than gas to create a flame. For the OP, I hear every G37 is different. Some get great gains from intakes, and others actually lose power. They did a test with multiple stock Gs using R2C intakes, some gain hp and tourqe, and others gain nothing.

When the o2 sensor is running on open loop (wide open throttle) the ecu will be using preset fuel maps, so you will have more air coming in for a fixed amount of fuel. In these instances you should expect better fuel efficiency.

For closed loop (normal, lower rpm/daily driving) there shouldn't be a difference as the the A/F ratio will be maintained. If more air is going in, more fuel will be added to compensate.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:27 PM
VONYC

i think u should have gotten a 335i or the 370z ... 370 being the same price .. 7 speed auto .. slips being stock .. and with mods produces more WHP than we do ...

so yeah .. but the G37s dropped with wheels for sure 100% takes the LOOKS award =]

im happy with mine ..

but to add onto your story ... i put the stillen intakes in and i felt loss of torque ... so its just your car is taking in a lot of air but isnt releasing as much as its taking in cuz u got no exhaust ...

or do you ?
Old 05-05-2009, 06:02 PM
Rapture37

I have an AT and the BB grounding kit helped alot with faster shifting. but I have the gen 3's and a catback. Getting the cobb and HFCs this week. Can't wait.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:36 PM
TimsG37s

Originally Posted by Formula1
Guys I installed the new Injens short ram intakes on my G37S Auto Saturday and I must say I'm not impressed. I know that intakes alone are not going to give the car tons of power, but I was expecting at least better throttle response. I test drove it Saturday and again today, the car feels more sluggish taking off from a stand still with the new intakes then with the stock intakes, very disappointed. If this is the norm I just wasted $300+ on mods that actually makes my car feel less responsive. BTW today was the first time I turn the traction control off expecting a little wheel spin, and guess what, non whats so ever. My mothers Kia Rondo do better at this than a 330 hp G, what the hell. I really like the car, but lately getting disappointed makes me wonder whether I made the right choice with the G.
Huh, thats weird cause after I installed mine I felt a little more power, not less. Definitely NOT sluggish from take off at all. I love mine. I also find it kind of interesting that so many people are saying that intakes lose torque when the Dyno results Lou@Amplified posted up of the Injen SRI clearly showed a slight increase in torque across the entire RPM range.

Last edited by TimsG37s; 05-05-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:51 PM
VONYC

every car is different and you have to take in consideration the temp outside and all of that other crap -.-
Old 05-05-2009, 06:58 PM
gthal

I am by no means an expert at all but the dyno Lou posted for the Injen`s showed a slight increase in torque across the entire rev range. So is the dyno wrong or is it something else going on with some cars.

I have not noticed any decrease in torque at all... no perceived increase either. The G has such a linear throttle that I always needed to give it a lot of gas to get it to pull hard and that hasn`t changed since the Injens...
Attached Thumbnails Intakes less response???-sp1998graph-1.jpg  

Last edited by gthal; 05-05-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:04 PM
VONYC

i think there are certain mods that make u lose low end torque ..

i had intake and exhaust and my car felt a bit strong at low end but weak in between ..

i would slip SIDEWAYS on the 20 rolls and once i put the HFC on i lost that slipage totally !!

i got the cobb and now i slip on 20 roll and CHIRP 2nd .. yes .. i am AUTO and i chirp 2nd gear...
Old 05-05-2009, 07:50 PM
KnoxvilleG37

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TimsG37s
Huh, thats weird cause after I installed mine I felt a little more power, not less. Definitely NOT sluggish from take off at all. I love mine. I also find it kind of interesting that so many people are saying that intakes lose torque when the Dyno results Lou@Amplified posted up of the Injen SRI clearly showed a slight increase in torque across the entire RPM range.
OK....this is starting to make me feel better....Reading the OP's initial review and then seeing what other people are posting about aftermarket intakes had me worried about giving Lou my order for the Injen SRI. Now I'm fine with it. I agree that the dyno does show increase in torque across the entire RPM band, but what I wanted was to hear real-world applications from end users like TimsG37s.

Glad I made a smart purchase. Can't wait to install this weekend!!!
Old 05-05-2009, 07:59 PM
djkmac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SilverRSXJezus
When the o2 sensor is running on open loop (wide open throttle) the ecu will be using preset fuel maps, so you will have more air coming in for a fixed amount of fuel. In these instances you should expect better fuel efficiency.

For closed loop (normal, lower rpm/daily driving) there shouldn't be a difference as the the A/F ratio will be maintained. If more air is going in, more fuel will be added to compensate.
Well thats good to know, I was gonna say reason why some people are getting terrible gas mileage with their cars after intakes is cause they prob now always drive over 4k for the sound lol.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:04 PM
DrJones

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
get lighter wheels....
Old 05-05-2009, 08:47 PM
gtracing

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by djkmac
I was under the impression intakes actually increase gas mileage because they provide more air than stock intakes. Which in return, your engine uses more air than gas to create a flame. For the OP, I hear every G37 is different. Some get great gains from intakes, and others actually lose power. They did a test with multiple stock Gs using R2C intakes, some gain hp and tourqe, and others gain nothing.
it's funny how almost every intake manufacturer claims to increase gas mileage with intakes....this statement might be true with older vehicles that have less complicated ecu's....but ur talking about a 2008-2009 vehicle with obd2 and more sensors than a crash test dummy...once the ecu realizes that something is not right...it will modify itself to compensate....therefore....more air = more gas to produce the correct air/fuel mixture....so intakes (more air) means ur using more gas....

on my other car..i can really see the difference in fuel consumption after installing intakes...i use to get roughly 550km's per tank...now i'm lucky to hit 500....
Old 05-05-2009, 08:49 PM
gtracing

Originally Posted by KnoxvilleG37
I also have Injen SRI's on the way....am I really going to notice a negative difference in daily driving?
unfortunately, on ur daily commute, u will definitely feel ur car is much more sluggish....but when ur out on the weekend showing off to the 5 ladies u just picked up....u'll feel it a tad faster....just a tad tho...since you ARE fully loaded with 5 extra females in the vehicle...
Old 05-05-2009, 08:55 PM
gtracing

Originally Posted by gthal
I am by no means an expert at all but the dyno Lou posted for the Injen`s showed a slight increase in torque across the entire rev range. So is the dyno wrong or is it something else going on with some cars.

I have not noticed any decrease in torque at all... no perceived increase either. The G has such a linear throttle that I always needed to give it a lot of gas to get it to pull hard and that hasn`t changed since the Injens...
the dyno is not wrong...but remember, the dyno is human controlled and can be manipulated extremely easily....that's why i never really care about dyno graphs...because it's just a number that can be fudged to make the car look more powerful....if u want real proof of extra power....quarter mile heads up with a stock G is your best bet...
Old 05-05-2009, 09:04 PM
KnoxvilleG37

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gtracing
unfortunately, on ur daily commute, u will definitely feel ur car is much more sluggish....but when ur out on the weekend showing off to the 5 ladies u just picked up....u'll feel it a tad faster....just a tad tho...since you ARE fully loaded with 5 extra females in the vehicle...
That right there is my exact plan. Well said sir....well said.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:08 PM
TimsG37s

Originally Posted by KnoxvilleG37
OK....this is starting to make me feel better....Reading the OP's initial review and then seeing what other people are posting about aftermarket intakes had me worried about giving Lou my order for the Injen SRI. Now I'm fine with it. I agree that the dyno does show increase in torque across the entire RPM band, but what I wanted was to hear real-world applications from end users like TimsG37s.

Glad I made a smart purchase. Can't wait to install this weekend!!!
Yeah man, you'll love it! You won't regret getting it. I really didn't buy mine for HP & TQ gains. I bought mine for the looks and the sound but I can tell you right now that after driving with it for the last two weeks there's NO way that my G has lost anything performance wise. According to my butt dyno, I've definitely gained some performance.

Quick Reply: Intakes less response???