Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Review Stillen 3G Intake Review + Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 03:49 AM
]\[ /-\ ]\/[
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
looks like u got a factory freak at 309 whp stock...lucky!!

now the dyno looks good but is there a slight drop in power & tq at around 4.5k - 5k rpm?
i must be reading it wrong
Old 11-09-2008, 04:52 AM
jnguyen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
EMIL Ill give you back your JWT and you give me your Stillen 3g NOW!!! haha jk

I would get this intake so fast if i could find someone to install it for me! i wouldnt know how to install this and gigga the nurse might not either lols jk
Old 11-09-2008, 05:17 AM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ]\[ /-\ ]\/[
looks like u got a factory freak at 309 whp stock...lucky!!

That's church automotive dyon (dynapack)...it's 309 to the HUB.

But if you want minimal variences for readings on dyno gains...the measure to the hub is better than on rollers. that is why shawn tunes with the dynapack..
Old 11-09-2008, 05:29 AM
mygyott37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ay wow i wud love to get this intake but the hassle of the install of the intake making holes and **** wat happens if u change ur intake wud it **** up???
Old 11-09-2008, 08:08 AM
NJlakeshoreG
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NIGHTLFEphantom
Good gains! Someone get a good sound vid for me please!! or else I'm gonna have to drive to NJlakeshoreG's house, brake into his car, steal his car, drive it around, then drive it back to his house, then run for my life.
lol....ill be by Igors house 2day.....dude the car feels awesome...GREAT JOB STILLEN....
Old 11-09-2008, 08:57 AM
SteveG37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't want to come off as sounding negative because I think this intake seems great, however it appears most of the actual gains are only at the very top of the RPM curve correct?? If this is the case, how useful is this power for everyday driving?? I would rather see steady gains over the entire RPM range, as this would seem to be much more useful power. I believe the JWT's had a much more consistent gain across the entire RPM range which to me makes more sense for everyday driving.

For the track there is no doubt this Stillen 3rd generation is the best, no arguement from me, but for everyday daily driver use, is it really worth it over the JWT's?? Please don't take this as someone raining on this great Stillen parade, I'm just trying to look at this from the other angle.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:01 AM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Great review and thanks for doing this, there's obviously gains to be had from this intake!

My observation is just where exactly are they, and this doesn't apply to just this intake but any intake with results like this. We seem to focus on the last band of RPMs just before red line and I have to wonder how valuable that really is in real world. In real world wouldn't this only really help to increase top speed with a little extra push per gear on the way. As you observed the gains were pretty much none existent over 90% of the powercurve... HP wise that is. The real story here is what's going on with Torque curve which confirms the butt dyno results and lists some impressive numbers for an intake. This is where you're real gains are and in an area the G can really use and it's not just in the last 5% of the curve!
Old 11-09-2008, 01:36 PM
Skyline-LEXY

Originally Posted by mygyott37
ay wow i wud love to get this intake but the hassle of the install of the intake making holes and **** wat happens if u change ur intake wud it **** up???
making the hole is the hard part but when u go back to OEM there's no problem.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:21 PM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I am one of the first guys to tell you that intakes on the VQ do nothing to very little. And so far I was proven right.

But it seems the stillen does make great gains on a stock AND modded application. You can't ask any more from an intake mod. Yes the "meat" of the gains apply only to the upper band but in terms of hp, but there is a fair gain in tq arcoss as well.

Also for N/A modified cars the intake is only a part of the puzzle. for bigger gains you need cats, exhaust, and a tune...which doesn't seem to bad since FI kts seem to range from 8K to 12K for this car.

I miss my Z sometimes. I was quoted 6K for a vortech installed...lol.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:32 PM
g37mobbber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had a blast yesterday meeting everyone and sorry i left early too i had to take care of some things..hope we can all meet up again and im glad too hear about the 3g!! =]
Old 11-09-2008, 06:23 PM
Buddy Revell

Great review, Stillballin. I read that Shawn Church's shop is a Cobb Accessport Tuner, so when the tuning software comes out for the AP, that'll be a great place to go!
Old 11-10-2008, 12:37 PM
n_jay888

I say it's worth it to have this intake. It was only a day after the install and already got a speeding ticket. I betcha this thing is going fast. Right Emil? LOL
Old 11-10-2008, 01:00 PM
sTiLLBaLLiN37
Former Prez of LA G'Z

Received 24 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by n_jay888
I say it's worth it to have this intake. It was only a day after the install and already got a speeding ticket. I betcha this thing is going fast. Right Emil? LOL
LoL, I talked my way out of it....
Old 11-10-2008, 01:01 PM
n_jay888

Originally Posted by sTiLLBaLLiN37
LoL, I talked my way out of it....

I wonder what you said?

Maybe something like this: "I'm so sorry officer i didn't know how fast i was going. You see i just installed my Stillen 3g Intake and i was wondering how fast can i go with this thing".

Lucky bastard! Hahaha!!!

Last edited by n_jay888; 11-10-2008 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:37 AM
sTiLLBaLLiN37
Former Prez of LA G'Z

Received 24 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by n_jay888
I wonder what you said?

Maybe something like this: "I'm so sorry officer i didn't know how fast i was going. You see i just installed my Stillen 3g Intake and i was wondering how fast can i go with this thing".

Lucky bastard! Hahaha!!!
Your right about the first part.

Can't wait till we install your valence and take some videos of the intake!

Quick Reply: Review Stillen 3G Intake Review + Dyno