Got G ? For Those Sporting BIG Grins

Small review and a few questions for G37 owners...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 05:00 PM
DdotRoq

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Small review and a few questions for G37 owners...

Hello All,

Some of you know me for my first post how I referenced me going from a 335 BMW to the G37 is a "Downgrade".

Well I have my G37 now, and I have to say, it shocked me. It is extremely the opposite of what I expected, and have to not only apologize but thank you for the feedback of the prior posts.

The 4WS is AMAZING! Way better than my bmw, though I do think the BMW "hugs" it a bit more - in the sense that when turning, you feel the bmw will not flip in a 100 mile turn, while the G has a small feeling of it. Haven't tried it and dont plan on to, but this is just a scenario im placing.

Power - I DO NOT RACE, so I didn't mind or care for the .1 seconds slower or whatever. With the racing chip on the BMW, it is way faster than the G but well, yes, equip this baby with a pair of twins, and it will fly by the bmw. No i don't plan on to, don't need so much power.

Entertainment - The Audio is great on both vehicles, the BMW feels more "In tone" where as a bit more clear and "High-Def", the G feels a bit more... "Sounds good, but its still Japanese". The Navi, I dont know if its that I am so used to the BMW, but it is much more user friendly, imho. As you will see the below, the G37's Navi system makes me feel so uncomfortable, because of the issue of the whole can't use it while driving. If I can hack it, please tell me how or give me the steps. I can't stand the restrictions!!

Style - Where i'm from (Miami) you don't see many G37's, you see plenty 4-door bmw's (3 series) and a few coupe's, but go to the beach and you will see the G37's , M3's and M6's along with the Bugatti Veyron's and etc. What i'm trying to say is, the bmw's, as much as they show status, they are not as common as a BMW. Sweet. I personally like the G37's look over the BMW, but the 335i with the drop-top will make it a bit harder. When g37 comes out with their hard top vert, BMW will have a run for its money.

Overall - Both great cars, and IF Infiniti had done something about the navi and not make the BS that makes me want to choke the creator of the software myself, I'd give Infiniti a direct win, hands down, but since its such a headache, i'll say both are great vehicles, and if you want to pay the $400 more a month for the BMW, then go ahead - you won't be disappointed - Either route will satisfy you, unless your looking for price, then stick to the G.

The negatives I have could possibly be answered by questions :

The Navi and half of the system does not let me do anything while driving. What a HUGE inconvenience! I cant even dial. I know the whole "keep your eyes on the road" thing, but my wife cant even use it while being a passenger? There has to be a way to disable this. I HATE it.

Second - XM Radio - don't like this either. Is there a way to install Sirius without going through the whole fm transmitter way? Like just take out XM and replace it with Sirius.

I also have an iPhone; How can I upload my contacts? Cant get that done AT ALL, though I am able to use it for the handsfree kit.

Trying to get ahold of Bluebat - emailed and pm'd, i want his rear valence Hope to hear from him soon.

Mods - it is a lease, so dont want to touch the engine, unless its an "under $500" mod.

Where can I buy the Compact Flash cover? They gave me a compact flash 1gb in replacement of the "lost" cover.

For reference purposes, my vehicle is the following :

G37 Journey Coupe, Sport, Prem Pckg, Navi Pckg, Tech Pckg, 4 Whl Steering, cargo net, and a few extras.

Thank You All for your time to read, let me know your feedbacks, and PLEASE! help answer those questions!
Old 06-14-2008, 05:17 PM
TomG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For some reason I feel like you still see the G37 as a downgrade, the only reason you like the G is the lower price.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:34 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
The Nav restrictions are very cumbersome, but if you'd read the rules of the road, you'd know not to post of "that of which we dare not speak". You can check our www.kptechnologies.com and find some cool and interesting add on modules for the car to make it much more user friendly.

Good to get your full review after actually getting to know the car a bit.

CF flash slot cover is a dealer only item; your dealer should give it to you for free. I can't imaging that it would be really expensive to buy it.

I have no clue what you were trying to communicate about the audio, but neither car is above "pretty good for a factory system" for my money. Aftermarket all the way. I couldn't decipher what you meant about the style thing either. The hardtop convertible is coming out in '09.

Glad you're enjoying the car now.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:00 PM
Achilles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good to see you're enjoying the car. I also hate the NAV restrictions. I have to agree that if Infiniti is trying to compete with BMW, they should be running their systems in parallel or greater than BMW's. A passenger should be able to use the NAV while it's in motion. Put a weight sensor in the passenger seat so that the system knows it being used by someone other than the driver. Something can definitely be done about this issue and it is a PAIN in the ***. You shouldn't have to Mod the NAV for the price that you alread paid for it.

As far as hacking the NAV, "Negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full!!!!" The rules of this forum don't allow the steps to be listed. With that being said, as BBetty stated ^^, KP Technologies is a good place to find mods that are VERY helpful.

I'm not sure about the XM to Sirius conversion. FYI though, XM and Sirius are the same company and the merger should be final with FCC and other various approvals coming towards the end of the second quarter, around June 30, 2008. Sirius will be the parent company. It's a merger but for those keeping score, XM was purchased by Sirius. Sirius will be the parent company.

You should be able to get a CF cover from the dealership for free, depending on your sales rep.

The hardtop convertible is confirmed for Feb '09.

Obviously, the BMW has the twin-turbos. The exterior of the car along with the engine is awesome. The interior, in my opinion, is BUTT ugly. It looks like a 1980 station wagon died inside it. Its got no character. I've never had an opportunity to use the BMW Nav system but the fact that it can be used while the vehicle is in motion already makes it better than the G's. Other than that, the interior has no character. I couldn't see myself spending that much money on an interior that looked that ugly and plain. The G's interior has personality. Its got charisma and style.

Hope you enjoy your G!!!

Last edited by Achilles; 06-14-2008 at 06:03 PM.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:30 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Congrats on the G, check out the SFL G Club over on Driver. You cannot upload contacts via BT on the iPhone.. Perhaps after 2.0 is released this will be addressed but for now, not going to happen. I just put in the 5-6 people I call the most and the rest I can just pick up the phone and scroll need be.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:14 AM
Genome

Go away...

...maybe to the BMW world...but go away
Old 06-29-2008, 12:13 AM
g37at44

I am also feeling like I am taking a downgrade. I presently have a Mercedes CLK 500 Convertible. But for the money, the G is best coupe out there, so I am looking forward to getting it. I will miss the convertible and can't wait to get the new G convertible until next year. I get my new G37S the end of July.

Prior to the MB, I owned a BMW 330i, an Audi A4, and two VW GTI's, so this is my first non German car in 15 years. I hope and think it will live up to my expectations.