General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Need some help with OBD codes

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 12:34 PM
ABOSCH101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some help with OBD codes

Hello everyone,

A couple nights ago my wife was about to get on the highway and her G37 suddenly lost power and she was not able to go faster than 40MPH. I'm trying to avoid a hefty bill at the dealer because the warranty has unfortunately ended. I ran the OBD and it gave the following codes below, and an emissions test. Would I be correct in assuming that changing the "transmission output speed sensor" would fix all the problems?

Old 03-13-2021, 10:08 AM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 335 Likes on 271 Posts
What app is that? It looks nice.

According to factory shop manual, possible causes of the P0720 are the output speed sensor and harness / connectors.
I suspect the P0500 is caused by the missing output speed sensor signal.

The output speed sensor plugs directly into the transmission control module (TCM), which is located inside the transmission just above the valve body.
If the speed sensor is bad, replacing it is not a simple job.
The exhaust, driveshaft, transmission pan, valve body and rear transmission housing need to be removed to get access to it.

Also, the app shows a pending fault P0101 / P010B for both your mass airflow sensors. A pending fault is where a fault has been detected ONCE. If the fault happens again, it will then be a CONFIRMED fault and the check engine light will turn on.

I think your next step it to take it in to a shop you trust.
Good luck!
Old 03-13-2021, 10:26 PM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
I am thinking this issue is not the sensor going out but the transmission itself is taking a dump. do you like playing with the shifter and holding gears while punching the engine? when's the last fluid change on the trans and was it read dirty and black?
Old 03-14-2021, 10:35 AM
stealthee
Registered Member

Received 200 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by crookncastle
I am thinking this issue is not the sensor going out but the transmission itself is taking a dump. do you like playing with the shifter and holding gears while punching the engine? when's the last fluid change on the trans and was it read dirty and black?
A failed speed sensor will completely screw with the trans and put the car in limp mode. If the trans was taking a dump the car would flat out stop moving..
Old 03-14-2021, 05:27 PM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
there is no doubt that a faulty sensor will cause trans issues. but it is very rare and i mean very rare where an internally mounted speed sensor inside the trans surrounded by atf would fail. all the sensor does is picking up the reading of a gear tooth or planetary housing tooth with a magnet. now if the original poster would chime in on the questions i posted initially perhaps we can come to a better guess of whats going on. btw a trans thats taking a dump will still move especially if the fluid temp is low but if a band that holds the planetary is broken, or a cracked planetary housing, or a bad pump or broken output shaft to the slip yoke was bad then yes the car will absolutely not move. the purpose of limp home mode in vehicles is to protect itself from further damage.
Old 11-20-2021, 10:40 PM
bmeutzner
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Does anybody know if after replacing the valve body/tcm and speed sensor (to solve this type of issue) the TCM needs to be flashed? I'm reading conflicting information online and after doing this my car is still in limp mode despite having a new speed sensor and replacement remanufactured TCM swapped into my car.
Old 09-05-2023, 08:52 PM
idyllic420
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bmeutzner
Does anybody know if after replacing the valve body/tcm and speed sensor (to solve this type of issue) the TCM needs to be flashed? I'm reading conflicting information online and after doing this my car is still in limp mode despite having a new speed sensor and replacement remanufactured TCM swapped into my car.
where did you buy the valve body from? Any recommendations? Thank you