General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Disable/Remove EDR

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 05:42 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
Disable/Remove EDR

Anyone attempted or succeeded in getting rid of the EDR? Done some research and found out the airbag modules are connected to it so maybe 1/2 watt resistor might work. Don’t want those little f**kers giving away info on things that should not be known

And it’s not illegal in my area or with my insurance. Actually, not illegal in general. It’s part of your property.
Old 03-31-2019, 06:39 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
What is EDR?
Old 03-31-2019, 07:23 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,254 Likes on 1,016 Posts
Originally Posted by slartibartfast
What is EDR?
Event Data Recorder. Think of it as a "black box" for cars. Same concept as what airliners use. They record all sorts of data that, in the event of a collision, can be downloaded to get a better picture of what occurred- and help insurance companies and law enforcement determine liability/other legalities.

Allegedly, like On-Star, it can also track the car, the drivers habits (ie. speeding), and other spy tactics. Just another example of government/corporate intrusion.

I don't think the G37 has them. There is no mention of them at all in the FSM. Perhaps the newer Infiniti models might have them? I do know the GT-R has them though...

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 03-31-2019 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:21 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
Event Data Recorder. Think of it as a "black box" for cars. Same concept as what airliners use. They record all sorts of data that, in the event of a collision, can be downloaded to get a better picture of what occurred- and help insurance companies and law enforcement determine liability/other legalities.

Allegedly, like On-Star, it can also track the car, the drivers habits (ie. speeding), and other spy tactics. Just another example of government/corporate intrusion.

I don't think the G37 has them. There is no mention of them at all in the FSM. Perhaps the newer Infiniti models might have them? I do know the GT-R has them though...
The G has them, I checked the manual. The EDR might be either near the center console or under the driver's seat area. I should have checked before I put my seats back in after welding the floor pan. I'll be redoing my interior this summer so when I have the whole interior stripped I can snip off the black box and just put a 1/2 or so watt resistor (just like people do for the Gs airbag module when putting racing seats in). I'm certain even without a resistor in place it won't cause any check engine lights or airbags being triggered.

I'll probably make a thread about it when I do my interior project this summer, unless someone beats me to it.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:16 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,254 Likes on 1,016 Posts
I stand corrected. The owners manual (my 2008 in this case) does state that the G has a EDR.

What is ironic is that there is absolutely no mention- that I have found at least so far- of the EDR in any copy of the FSM that I have.

Definitely need to investigate this and get rid of the spy box.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:39 AM
NealP
Premier Member

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
You might want to check the laws first or just leave it and don't do anything stupid :-)

http://www.ncsl.org/research/telecom...gislation.aspx
Old 04-01-2019, 12:34 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Joyryde
The G has them, I checked the manual. The EDR might be either near the center console or under the driver's seat area. I should have checked before I put my seats back in after welding the floor pan. I'll be redoing my interior this summer so when I have the whole interior stripped I can snip off the black box and just put a 1/2 or so watt resistor (just like people do for the Gs airbag module when putting racing seats in). I'm certain even without a resistor in place it won't cause any check engine lights or airbags being triggered.

I'll probably make a thread about it when I do my interior project this summer, unless someone beats me to it.

Im in for this. All for making big brother smaller
The following users liked this post:
TheDevilsG (09-02-2021)
Old 04-01-2019, 03:15 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Originally Posted by NealP
You might want to check the laws first or just leave it and don't do anything stupid :-)
I better not crash at the track!
TheDevilsG (09-02-2021)
Old 04-01-2019, 05:32 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
I stand corrected. The owners manual (my 2008 in this case) does state that the G has a EDR.

What is ironic is that there is absolutely no mention- that I have found at least so far- of the EDR in any copy of the FSM that I have.

Definitely need to investigate this and get rid of the spy box.
I've got a 2010 and it mentions the EDR in the very last few pages of the owner's manua at 9-25: http://cdn.dealereprocess.com/cdn/se...i/2010-g37.pdf

Seems only NY does not allow removal of it. You can always blame the previous owner or just act like you don't have any idea what happened to it. I don't want to be a sheep and have people knowing the way I drive the car if something does happen that requires them to examine the box to see the way I used to drive the G.

This is how the EDR looks like as a reference.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:35 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
if this is the case

"The EDR is designed to record data related tovehicle dynamics and safety systems for a shortperiod of time, typically 30 seconds or less.

TheEDR in this vehicle is designed to record suchdata as:

●How various systems in your vehicle wereoperating;
●Whether or not the driver and passengersafety belts were buckled/fastened;
●How far (if at all) the driver was depressingthe accelerator and/or brake pedal; and,●How fast the vehicle was traveling.
●Sounds are not recorded"

why be so paranoid about it?
Old 04-01-2019, 07:19 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Originally Posted by saywat?
if this is the case

"The EDR is designed to record data related tovehicle dynamics and safety systems for a shortperiod of time, typically 30 seconds or less.

TheEDR in this vehicle is designed to record suchdata as:

●How various systems in your vehicle wereoperating;
●Whether or not the driver and passengersafety belts were buckled/fastened;
●How far (if at all) the driver was depressingthe accelerator and/or brake pedal; and,●How fast the vehicle was traveling.
●Sounds are not recorded"

why be so paranoid about it?
Because if one was in mexico traveling at not the posted speed and a lamb jumped out and **** hit the fan local hot boys may want to place blame on not the lamb.
TheDevilsG (09-02-2021)
Old 04-01-2019, 07:22 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
so this is for people who want to do stupid **** while driving then
Old 04-01-2019, 07:26 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Originally Posted by saywat?
so this is for people who want to do stupid **** while driving then
Correct.
Joyryde (04-01-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 02:34 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 449 Likes on 377 Posts
Well, at least I know what that box is now.

If I do something stupid and die - don't care what is recorded.
If I do something stupid and live - you're gonna need a warrant, buddy.
TheDevilsG (09-02-2021)
Old 05-10-2019, 07:04 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Quick update on what I found. The good news is I found where the EDR is located. It's underneath the center console in front of the gear selector. The bad news is, it is part of the airbag control module. Easy way to get rid of the EDR all together is to remove the airbag control module, BUT the airbags might not come off when an impact occurs. My G37 will be the only newest car I'll have. Never going beyond that year. Too much technology making life difficult nowadays. Just another reason why new cars suck, and everyone can thank GM for starting this sh*t! Got to go back to the 90s!