General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Just got a 2012 G37X Sedan!!! Looking for bits and pieces to add-on to my order.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 06:04 PM
lektrix
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just got a 2012 G37X Sedan!!! Looking for bits and pieces to add-on to my order.

New owner of a used 2012 G37x Sedan!!! Car has 155000KMs on it. I'll be using it for Daily Driving to work for the next 2 years.

I'm currently buying new brakes, tires, and TPMS sensors. For the seasoned owners, I was wondering if anyone else had a list of things I can buy for the car for Daily Driving (no mods unless you can point me to some cheap, quick, easy upgrades).

Since I am ordering from RockAuto, it would be nice to bulk order to save on shipping. Cabin air filters? Bulbs? Spark Plugs? Please advise.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:31 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Welcome to the site, use this code on rockauto for 5%off, just paste this in "how did you hear about us" box
8955672981483357 Good thru 10/7
Old 09-19-2018, 08:55 PM
lektrix
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
Welcome to the site, use this code on rockauto for 5%off, just paste this in "how did you hear about us" box
8955672981483357 Good thru 10/7
Any recommendations on what to buy though??
Old 09-20-2018, 02:04 AM
1scG37s
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Congrats on the new vehicle!
Here's my recommendation on what you should consider purchasing (*Disclaimer: I'm not a ASE certified mechanic in any way, just a home maintenance guy that goes by the schedule provided by the manufacturer).

So, It looks like you're coming close to doing spark plugs soon - Maintenance schedule recommends Replace every 105,000 miles (169,000 km) so make sure you get 6 of them and also make sure they are OEM plugs. I know some folks have had issues with aftermarket ones. Other items to consider;

-A few cabin filters - Maintenance schedule recommends replacing them every 15K mile ( 24Km) or 12 months. I always replace the first one right away once I get a used car, just because you never know if the prior owner/dealership did replace them or not and you definitely don't want to breath in gross air for the next year.

-A drive belt - Maintenance schedule recommends inspecting every 15K miles (24Km) or 12 months after 60K miles. If you know how to inspect it, just check to see how it looks and if not, I say just replace it. Having one fail on you is bigger headache then just forking out ~$50 to just replace it for the peace of mind. Plus it's pretty easy to do.

- A K&N engine filter - It's a great investment instead of buying a bunch of oem paper filters and tossing them every 15K miles (24Km). Plus they provide some minor power and you're helping save the earth, a little.... Just remember to buy 2x filters, left and right intakes.

- Lastly and most importantly, a good handful of engine filters with crush nuts! Might as well stock up on them, as you'll be going through 2 or 3 a year.

Hope this helps prepare you for a sound and enjoyable ride. Heres a photo of the Nissan oem oil filter because all good threads need photos! -1scG37s

Old 09-20-2018, 02:21 AM
lektrix
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 1scG37s
Congrats on the new vehicle!
Here's my recommendation on what you should consider purchasing (*Disclaimer: I'm not a ASE certified mechanic in any way, just a home maintenance guy that goes by the schedule provided by the manufacturer).

So, It looks like you're coming close to doing spark plugs soon - Maintenance schedule recommends Replace every 105,000 miles (169,000 km) so make sure you get 6 of them and also make sure they are OEM plugs. I know some folks have had issues with aftermarket ones. Other items to consider;

-A few cabin filters - Maintenance schedule recommends replacing them every 15K mile ( 24Km) or 12 months. I always replace the first one right away once I get a used car, just because you never know if the prior owner/dealership did replace them or not and you definitely don't want to breath in gross air for the next year.

-A drive belt - Maintenance schedule recommends inspecting every 15K miles (24Km) or 12 months after 60K miles. If you know how to inspect it, just check to see how it looks and if not, I say just replace it. Having one fail on you is bigger headache then just forking out ~$50 to just replace it for the peace of mind. Plus it's pretty easy to do.

- A K&N engine filter - It's a great investment instead of buying a bunch of oem paper filters and tossing them every 15K miles (24Km). Plus they provide some minor power and you're helping save the earth, a little.... Just remember to buy 2x filters, left and right intakes.

- Lastly and most importantly, a good handful of engine filters with crush nuts! Might as well stock up on them, as you'll be going through 2 or 3 a year.

Hope this helps prepare you for a sound and enjoyable ride. Heres a photo of the Nissan oem oil filter because all good threads need photos! -1scG37s

Thanks, what's the issue with aftermarket parts/filters? I noticed you are using exclusive Nissan/Inf parts??
Old 09-20-2018, 12:02 PM
1scG37s
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by lektrix
Thanks, what's the issue with aftermarket parts/filters? I noticed you are using exclusive Nissan/Inf parts??
Hey Lektrix,

No real reason besides personal preference to be honest. The spark plugs are a sticky issue for our G's and many who've tried going aftermarket have seen sporadic Idling and lack of power during take off. The In-cabin filter can be whatever you want. I buy mines from amazon since K&N doesn't' have a reusable one for the cabin. My engine filter is K&N drop in filters though, just so I can clean it and reuse it over and over. Drive belts I'd recommend a HIGHLY reputable brand, only because it plays a part in the harmony of the engine. You don't want a cheap one to go bad when you're overtaking someone on the highway. Lastly, the oil filter, I just buy oem because its ~$5-7 each and are cheaper then Fram. Plus i'm under-warranty and if anything were to occur and I needed to bring it in, the dealership would first look at the oil filter to see if you were using genuine Nissan parts before even touching your car or starting a warranty claim.

Again it's your car and you can use whatever brand parts you like, just giving my personal suggestions. Have fun with your parts shopping!

Photos of the K&N Drop in Filters, because all good threads need photos. -1scG37s

Old 09-20-2018, 01:08 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
When purchasing oil filters, buy those for the Titan V-8. Same diameter and about 20% longer so more filtration. The VQ filter is purdy-darned small.