General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Instrument panel light problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 11:19 PM
dat fiyahhh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Instrument panel light problem

Hi,

The Dot Matrix LCD screen of the instrument panel looks to be fading in brightness, I always leave it to the brightness setting and notice the left side of the LCD screen darker than the right side, then it started to flicker. I try to lower it to the lowest brightness but the LCD screen still flickers. Any idea on how to resolve this? I hear I may have to take the panel out and replace the bulb or lamp? Thanks for the help!
Old 07-17-2017, 10:49 AM
Entcee
Premier Member

Received 123 Likes on 80 Posts
Not 100% sure, but it does sound like 1 or more LEDs are going out. Most likely the LED is soldered onto the circuit board so soldering would be involved to remove and install new LEDs. If this is indeed the issue, I would replace all the LEDs (even the working ones) for the screen since new LEDs might have a slightly different color and/or brightness.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:57 PM
Detail
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I have the same issue. You don't want to know what a new cluster costs. It is like $800!
Old 07-23-2017, 09:44 PM
int

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When LEDs started going out on my 09, I snagged a cluster from a totalled G37 for ~$85 shipped. If you go that route, my guess is you should be able to swap just the LCD screen from another cluster into yours- just 4 phillips screws and a cable to plug in. AFAIK nothing important is stored on that thing. I did a whole cluster swap and the transplanted cluster operates like normal.

Last edited by int; 07-23-2017 at 09:54 PM.