General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

2013 G37X Computer Backups Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 01:50 PM
Atowsley
Premier Member

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
2013 G37X Computer Backups Not Working

I got a Service Engine Soon light on a used 2013 G37X with 24K miles I bought 2 weeks ago. The shop said it was a code saying the Computer Backups were not working. I replaced the battery and the next morning noticed the SES light on the dash. I'm hoping it's a code that will clear on it's own, but has anybody heard of this before? I'll get the exact code from the shop when I pickup the car. Told them to hold off repairs until I can research if it's something that may clear on it's own or need warranty work.

I think I'll clear the ECU by disconnecting the battery for 10-15 minutes and see if it comes up again as well.

Anybody else seen this? What is the battery backup and how much is replacement (just curious as car is under 30 day warranty and extended warranty.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:09 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Atowsley
I got a Service Engine Soon light on a used 2013 G37X with 24K miles I bought 2 weeks ago. The shop said it was a code saying the Computer Backups were not working. I replaced the battery and the next morning noticed the SES light on the dash. I'm hoping it's a code that will clear on it's own, but has anybody heard of this before? I'll get the exact code from the shop when I pickup the car. Told them to hold off repairs until I can research if it's something that may clear on it's own or need warranty work.

I think I'll clear the ECU by disconnecting the battery for 10-15 minutes and see if it comes up again as well.

Anybody else seen this? What is the battery backup and how much is replacement (just curious as car is under 30 day warranty and extended warranty.
If you have a warranty why not let the dealer fix it?

Telcoman
Old 07-12-2017, 02:59 PM
Atowsley
Premier Member

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
If it needed repairs I will do that. I took it over to the shop that I've been going to for years and they pulled the code/researched free of charge. I wanted to see how serious it was before a long drive to the dealer. After resetting ECU the SES light is gone and I'll basically monitor for it again. If it comes on again off to the dealer. Just curious if anybody has seen this issue before. Computer backups failing.