General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Help Car flooded on the inside

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 03:56 PM
Fantality4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car flooded on the inside

Hey guys,
I have a 2013 g37s with full options. 36k miles on the odometer and in very good condition overall.

I'm having small flood problems though. The carpet behind the driver seat is completely flooded with several inches of water. I drained a bit of water a couple days ago but it is flooded again today after a bit of a downpour. I really don't think the leak is from the side or upper part of the car. I don't see any traces of water leaking in through those areas. My speculation is that the leak is somehow coming from the bottom of the car. But then again, don't take my word for it because I really don't know much about cars.

No mods to speak of except the subs installation.

I have attached pictures down below so please take a look at it and know that any and all helpful comments are highly appreciated.

Ps- my mechanic friend came by and took a brief look at it. He has no idea and said he would have to take a closer look after taking the chair out and also putting the car on the lifter for the bottom inspection.

Old 04-03-2017, 04:51 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Check sunroof drain tubes.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:57 AM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 232 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by PNW_IPL
Check sunroof drain tubes.
Very likely this. No way water could come in from underneath when it's parked and it's raining.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:34 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Check for a clogged AC drain hose

Telcoman
Old 04-04-2017, 03:17 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
damn im glad i dont use the sunroof. im assuming mine is clog free from lack of use
Old 04-04-2017, 05:08 PM
Fantality4

Turns out it wasn't the sunroof drain tube.

Called SK Custom Car Audio. They are the ones who installed my subs. They said they will clean up the small pool of water that's gathered inside of my car and properly reinstall the power cable. But I'm not sure if it should stop there.

The subs were installed on 2/27/2016 which means water has been sitting inside of my car for more or less a year and a month. I'm worried about the damage the humidity inside the car would have caused to electronics and possible rusting. (Often times in the morning, the front and back windshields would be fogged up from the inside. On really bad occasions, it was so bad there were literally water sitting on top of the windshields which when wiped by hand would drop in big droplets.)

What should I do?

Should I even let the SK Custom Car Audio repair this? Is there a way for me to take my car and get it fixed elsewhere and have them cover for the bills?
Old 04-04-2017, 05:11 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

lol damn the infamous firewall grommet strikes again. people need to stop messing with that thing. did u take a look at the grommet? did they jus slide the power wire under the hole somewhere?
Old 04-04-2017, 05:26 PM
Fantality4

Old 04-04-2017, 05:28 PM
Fantality4

Infiniti tech said there were no rubber grommets installed. They drilled a hole (too small, causing the wire to grind against it when driving, causing wear and tear, for a potential shock/fire), and just slid the wire through it.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:32 PM
Fantality4

Repair estimate from Infiniti

Old 04-04-2017, 07:37 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Fantality4
Infiniti tech said there were no rubber grommets installed. They drilled a hole (too small, causing the wire to grind against it when driving, causing wear and tear, for a potential shock/fire), and just slid the wire through it.
i doubt they drilled a hole. u sure they did that bc that would be a lot of work to drill there. look like they probably jus slid the wire through the side of the grommet thats wat most installers have been doing and causing the water leaks u read about here
Old 04-04-2017, 09:44 PM
hurleyguys

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
you can fix it the top gear way. take a .30-30 rifle and put a hole in the floor. bingo job fixed.

no but seriously take the bill to the audio shop and have them pay the bill. if they couldnt do the job right the first time what makes you think they will do it on the second.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:58 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 334 Likes on 270 Posts
I don't think the firewall/sub power is the issue. I suspect the dealer saw the aftermarket amp and stopped looking.

By the master cylinder, the firewall does not get THAT wet from rain. There are plastic shields at the base of the window to direct the water into drain tubes.

Do a test: pop the cover and use a garden hose on the windshield / sunroof to see where the water goes. My guess the firewall will stay dry.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:53 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Actually theres a hole where the wiper arm is so water is definitely flowing down there. How much idk but going by pics that does seem excessive if the source is from that wire harness grommet
Old 04-15-2017, 11:05 PM
daryn67

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow, that's a big deal there. If water has been sitting that long I would at the least want a professional to have that carpet either cleaned up or replaced. Mold sets in and it's not a healthy thing to be around. Find a reputable upholstery shop and get a bid. The case is in your favor if things don't go your way. This was not any fault of yours. After market shops have to be accountable for their hired services even if it was an accident. Best of luck!