General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Shift Linkage Broken

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 03:45 PM
Davefromaine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shift Linkage Broken

Hello all - I'm new here - just bought my 2009 G37X sedan about a month ago. Absolutely love it!

After driving it about 2,000 miles, the shift linkage fell apart underneath the car - car started right up, but the shifter was not connected to anything. Stuck in Park - I had it towed to the dealer for a replacement. $700 parts & labor.

I asked the mechanic if he'd seen this before and he said yes - corroded parts in our harsh salty area (Maine). I searched the archives for this and found nothing on it. I did read about many rusty fasteners in our cars - all of mine under my hood are rusty. First thing I plan on cleaning up this spring.

Great forum - and great cars!
Old 01-04-2017, 04:14 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Sounds kind of expensive, but I'm no expert on it. How good are you at DIY? It doesn't sound like a difficult job.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:27 PM
Davefromaine

In my younger years I would have tackled it. But since it's my wife's car and she wanted it NOW, I just had them do it. Plus it was stuck in our church parking lot with a foot of snow and freezing out.

It's the entire shift unit being replaced - not just the bushings, pins, and clips. I questioned it, but they couldn't source the individual parts.

I'd be a bit more pissed about it except I basically stole the car - paid only $10K for it, so I expected to put some money into it. Fingers crossed that this is the worst of it - it's in awesome shape and runs and rides like a new one. (better actually - I'm not a fan of the new Q's)
Old 01-04-2017, 05:13 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Gotcha. You have legit reasons not to DIY then, no judgement form me. Many of us hate like hell to pay for something we could do ourselves (and probably better), but sometimes it's just easier and wiser to spend them money. Sounds like one of those times to me.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:48 PM
castmasterflash

I've got the same car and the same symptoms but the dealership is telling me I need to replace both the linkage and the shifter assembly to the tune of $1005.00. I don't see how they both simultaneously failed... I'm hoping to jack the car up in their parking lot tomorrow and hack something up in order to drive it home and order or fab parts as necessary... wish me luck, any advice appreciated.