General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Bought Possible Nightmare with 110k miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 01:33 AM
Newad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought Possible Nightmare with 110k miles

My first post.

I just bought a 2010 Infinity G37x S and after believeing I did my job right I neglected to make sure the ATF was changed in the servcie records. Everything else is excellent except for a repaint I'll need in some sections from chips. I had to get away from a car we could no longer afford.

It has 110k miles. Significant stone chips. Paint job needed.

I paid $16500.

Interior is IMMACULATE -not 1 poppy seed anywhere and it drives and shifts perfectly. Seems to be very mechanically sound as promised by the service records along with strict motor oil and oil filter changes.

Highway miles are what we were told as usual but the stone chips and Carfax information backs it up. This dealer is as reputable as a dealer seems to get.

I know I bought a paint job but I was thrilled to find a 2010 for so cheap even with high miles.

Should I change that ATF?
The Infinity dealership seems to think since it is sealed with Schedule service plans (out of warranty) to 120k that I should just do it during the 120k maintenance inspection. He really believes it wont be a problem if they do it with THEIR machine and Nissan matic S fluid. They do the flush method with their machine. I'm wondering if all infinity dealership service departments use the same equipment/machines to do this....maybe wont have to drive so far.

Is it really $10,000 to rebuild and fix this transmission if it fails me 5k miles later?

I know that if I leave it to go bad it will do exactly that.

Just get it done or try and take the inequity hit and consider it a loss? Would auto insurance cover it.

I'm a dumbass apparently.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:51 AM
Newad

Let the very confident Infinity dealer flush it with whatever machine they use?

If I fill and drain but don't do it at home what is it exactly I'll be asking the service department to do with me? Give me a "fill and drain"?

Thank you for any advice. Just frustrated I bought myself a repair bill I don't have the liquid cash for.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:48 AM
rlo
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Do not flush it, just drain and fill. Infiniti does not reccommend flush.
If it shifts fine and everything seems good you might be ok with just a drain refill with nissan atf.
Good luck
Old 06-08-2013, 12:20 PM
Newad

Does this sound insane or...

I'm looking at buying a USAA Mechanical Breakdown Insurance policy for an even crazier 528 a month premium for 4 months to get 12 years coverage. I thought my miles would keep me excluded but I'm accepted and covered. This overkill? It is the price of a new transmission over 4 months of payments in which I could have my low pressure Infinity dealer Matic S flush done and drive it, test drive it, for the policy or some of the policy to save cash. Better than nothing?? Of course it is less than a new transmission on my own and I wont have to fork it all up.....consider it Good after my policy ends? Soon as I see a mechanic chime in, and anyone is welcome to comment, I'll buy up that policy and "Praise the Lord"!
Old 06-08-2013, 01:52 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Dude-

Please chill the hell out and drive your damn car. Worst case scenario it has complete failure (it won't) and it costs a few grand to replace it. Where'd you pull $10K from??? Been reading the GTR forums? If it makes you less neurotic take the car to the dealership and have them perform transmission service. It's not anywhere near as bad as you seem to think.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:13 PM
Newad

"Been reading the GTR forums?"

Yeah. lol
Old 06-08-2013, 03:17 PM
Newad

The is not my car by the way but I do get to drive it. It's partly mine but my wife's daily commuter car. The stress is for her mostly. If its down and she cant get to work it'll just be unfortunate for me to say the least. Sorry to stress anyone. Have fun.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:25 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I get it. You just want to be sure it's reliable. That's reasonable. But you chose to buy a car with 110K on the clock when you got it. These cars are easily capable of getting more than twice that IMO. I have a maxima with over 235K that I drive daily. I think your worry is excessive. Just have it serviced if that gives you peace of mind. I'm very sure It'll be fine.

Last edited by Black Betty; 06-08-2013 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 06-08-2013, 06:41 PM
Newad

You're right. I'm trying to right my mistake fast before it could fail.

Should one Infinity dealer service shop be better than another? I know of one that will do everything right but it's a 2 hour drive. The only other Infinity dealer in my area I'm unfamiliar with --much closer. Wondering if they use the same low pressure machine to completely change it and with the Matic S fluid.

Cost at the far away dealer is $298.96 for just the Flush. Well they call it a Flush but read to me to be more an exchange machine to completely change the fluid at about 98% new.

The method referred to here:

"ITB10012

SERVICE INFORMATION When filling up, checking the ATF level, or if the pan of a RE7R01 series 7 speed automatic transmission has been drained or removed, a special tool must be used. This special tool is the "Transmission Fill Pump", J-49829. For proper use of this tool, go to SERVICE PROCEDURE starting on Page 2. CAUTION: Fill the Transmission Fill Pump with new Nissan Matic S ATF only. Never fill with any other fluid. See this bulletin for further detail."

Service Manager at the one actually advised me to simply wait until the next service interval to ATF change.

I suppose I can ask the tech's to examine just how cooked that fluid is before cycling it but something tells me they will ace it.

Going to go drive it.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:19 PM
Newad

lol

BB should I possibly drain and fill for a few months then at 115k let them use the machine mentioned above? Sound to me like it was created to avoid the very thing we worry about.

Infinity of Norwood in MA advertises they have the latest equipment. You can bet I have the nerve to ask exactly what machine they will use. Again, not going to stress over it... just planning.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:42 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
^^ Should of just gotten the 6mt. No fancy machines needed to drain/fill. Just undo a drain plug to drain, once done refill with 3.xx qts of gear lube til it leaks out the filler hole and you're done! Easier than doing a oil change even
Old 06-09-2013, 02:09 PM
Newad

Should have could have would have!

Well I bought exactly what most people do not. Very new with very high miles for the Deal. No inequity but I need to fix her up to perfection and that is what I want it at eventually is restored. The payment is fine also.

Its mint inside; really is. Drives terrific despite the ATF. Slow starts sometimes but it is on original spark plugs.

What you would comment to is why I bought a Ford Taurus SHO in the first place instead of this. Size of the car for her safety. Wife feels safer in a bigger car.

The 2010 Ford Taurus SHO had a TSB unaddress too long to not cause damage to our very own. The transmission was slipping and jarring for a year before it was out and we could not compell Ford to help us fix it because they could not replicate the problem (no TSB yet) therefore could not get Ford to pay the bill under warranty. Now that car had a possibly bad transmission and on only 40k.

You all made the right choice first. I'll make this one Ours though with some cash over time and not too painful since there's no borrowed money. Was $16.5k at a gross 5% on 72 months by the way but we have it set to pay off in 4 years and 4 months. Fair market dealio' and an option I chose this time. Just missed the G.D. ATF service on the service records. We may have lucked out choosing an Infinity to learn more about used car buying with because that machine Infinity and Nissan are supposed to use on this transmission apparently address the problem of failing a transmission after servicing it by a designed process of low pressure fluid exchange to clear the inside down to, what they stated on one Infinity dealership site, down to near 99% contaminants. They can't do any better without disassembling it apparently. In addition to that hand holding reassurance the fluid used is claimed to be made especially for this process.

Who else has mad a machine to address the problem. Well researched and overblown by me I agree.

I am removing my astronaut helmet now... ..didn't see a 2010 with these options in a sedan with a m/t and she can't drive the m/t.

My father's side of the family would swear on m/t's in the 80's and 90's but they all claim you get tired of shifting. My Challenger is auto because my wife helped buy it and she may need to drive it in an emergency. Not a HUGE compromise to getting the keys to one. It has a tap shifter like a BMW. Very fun I'll admit.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:44 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
My comment above was meant to be taken with a bit of humor. But on a serious note, that the maintenance aspect of it was a consideration. I really don't understand why they make such big deal about the 7at maintenance. Be it a drain/fill or a flush, so long as fluid is replenished (with correct fluid) and at proper level I don't see what possible damage could result.

Some links for reference:

http://www.infinitig37.com/TSB/ITB11-036.pdf

Kent Moore J-49829 TRANSMISSION OIL FILL KIT

http://www.justanswer.com/nissan/3e4...35-change.html
Old 06-09-2013, 05:47 PM
Newad

Yeah I know I know!

Make fun of a guy while he's in terrors over a car deal? lol

Looks low pressure by the tool. They do cycle it through with the engine running so impacting particulate plugs, if there are any, less likely and I'd be willing to bet this fluid isn't allowing those impactions or plugs if you will.

The price of the tool is what they are charging me -funny.

Infiniti of Norwood

Thier ad says what I would want to ask them but I'll bring in the bulletin anyway and ask if they're aware of it. Seems like these methods are to keep anything from happening after a change.

I'm not worried anymore but I do hope they follow the service bulletins.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:39 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Welcome to the site, and sounds like you truly did get a decent deal. 100k miles used to be considered the point where major items start going bad (and in my personal experience w/ an 02 BMW that was THE POINT where catastrophic failure began). Your worries are reasonable but in the case of Infiniti Gs it's unjustified. Take the above members' replies to heart, just freshen up the ATF, might want to do a few drain & fills over the next 20k miles just to get a good portion of new ATF in there. Infiniti paint is very chip prone (more so than other brands IME), maybe an entire repaint isn't needed, a new bumper and a front blend w/ a hood repaint probably would have it looking much better and shouldn't get too crazy expensive.
Hopefully you can relax and enjoy the new G, it's got plently of life left, assuming it wasn't abused. Guy probably had nothing but driving from one long point to another to do, maybe no time to get too foolish
The following users liked this post:
Newad (06-11-2013)

Quick Reply: Bought Possible Nightmare with 110k miles