General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Gas saving tips. got it from FB group share.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:49 PM
Kevalteam

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts
Gas saving tips. got it from FB group share.

Buying Gas The Smart Way.

TIPS ON PUMPING GAS
I don't know what you guys are paying for gasoline.... but here in California we are paying up to $3.75 to $4.10 per gallon. My line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every gallon:
Here at the Kinder Morgan Pipeline where I work in San Jose , CA we deliver about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline.. One day is diesel the next day is jet fuel, and gasoline, regular and premium grades. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 gallons.
Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role.
A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.
When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. You should be pumping on low mode, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.
One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL. The reason for this is the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount.
Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up; most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.
The following users liked this post:
flipmode007 (04-20-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 07:03 PM
jesse550

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thanks for posting. Appreciate the tips
Old 04-05-2013, 07:19 PM
jtweeze

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome tips! Thanks for the info!
Old 04-05-2013, 07:22 PM
mr_nlu
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i will keep this in mind the next time i fill up, thanks!
Old 04-05-2013, 07:36 PM
2009G37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the tips!

For the last tip you gave though, I'm wondering if there really is an advantage to pumping gas when your tank is half full. I always thought that keeping your tank half empty or so was fuel efficient because then you're carrying less weight. If you keep your tank full all the time, you're basically using gasoline to haul gasoline around. With our tank being 20 gallons, a full tank vs half tank means you're using fuel carrying an extra 10 gallons worth of weight for those couple hundred miles you drive. Why not wait till you're almost empty and then fill to half full?

I'm not sure what makes you lose more gas - using it to carry extra weight during many hours of driving vs vapor loss during those few minutes when you're pumping gas into the tank.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:46 PM
nukee26

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevalteam
Buying Gas The Smart Way.

TIPS ON PUMPING GAS
I don't know what you guys are paying for gasoline.... but here in California we are paying up to $3.75 to $4.10 per gallon. My line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every gallon:
Here at the Kinder Morgan Pipeline where I work in San Jose , CA we deliver about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline.. One day is diesel the next day is jet fuel, and gasoline, regular and premium grades. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 gallons.
Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role.
A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.
When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. You should be pumping on low mode, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.
One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL. The reason for this is the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount.
Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up; most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.
Yeah I'm going to call bull****.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:12 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Does anyone ever think about stuff like this even a little bit before passing it along and asking others to do the same thing? This is 100% BS. And I'm not the only one who knows it. Most of it doesn't even make sense.

Jeff's Lunchbreak: Email Debunking - Tips on Pumping Gas
http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/aut...umping_gas.htm

I could post a lot more. Or I could just suggest you google the first paragraph of that posting.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:59 PM
ilovemyg37

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I should have known better with the subject "FB share". Darn it, got me until I scrolled down and saw BBs post. Thanks BB for keeping us on the up & up!
Old 04-05-2013, 09:15 PM
Kevalteam

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts
oops....sorry....
Old 04-05-2013, 09:16 PM
Gio37
Registered Member

Received 244 Likes on 166 Posts
I've seen this many, many times and I agree....BS !

Old 04-05-2013, 09:23 PM
YellowJacket

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Facebook is full of BS.

Ground temp, especially below the frost line, is usually fairly constant so I doubt there is much difference in the tank temps throughout the day.

Also, don't buy gas when the tanker is filling the tanks because it stirs up sediment? OK, so the tanker just finished filing up 10 minutes ago and left.... How am I supposed to know that?

Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine??? Crap, I filled up my motorcycle tank last October. I about had a heart attack that I wasted $15.00 but ran out to the garage to check it.... it was still full. Note to self.... I need to ride my motorcycle more often.

Now one thing I do do, is fill on medium speed... not sure why, just something I've always done unless I'm in a hurry.

David
Old 04-05-2013, 09:32 PM
Blodngutz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info,
I guess it wouldn't hurt to try these tips out.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:47 PM
taviooo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when will people learn to use Snopes?
Old 04-06-2013, 12:34 AM
nukee26

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by taviooo
when will people learn to use Snopes?
Seriously. I see so much stupid stuff on FB that is clearly fake and easily disputed by Snopes, but everybody takes it for truth since it was on the internet.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:02 AM
HoldmyMouse

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
Buying gas the smartest way,

travel back in time and become CEO of Texaco and get fr33 g@$ 4 1yfe.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gas saving tips. got it from FB group share.