General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

5w30 Synthetic Oil Comparison (with Mobil 1 AFE 0w30)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 01:17 AM
Itchytoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't. I've used synthetics for the last 15 or so years. I honestly don't keep up with what's going on in the conventional oil world. Think of it as a typo, and it should read "group 2" if that makes you feel better.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:57 AM
Elim Garak
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Itchytoe
I don't. I've used synthetics for the last 15 or so years. I honestly don't keep up with what's going on in the conventional oil world. Think of it as a typo, and it should read "group 2" if that makes you feel better.
Ah, okay, that makes sense. May I ask why you recommended dino then if you use synthetics? I've used synthetics to a point, but far more conventional over the years, and I continue to use conventional for the most part.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:29 AM
Coprolite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Elim Garak
Ah, okay, that makes sense. May I ask why you recommended dino then if you use synthetics? I've used synthetics to a point, but far more conventional over the years, and I continue to use conventional for the most part.
I think his scenario had a syn 0w30 vs 5w30 conventional, where the better flow cause consumption. Hence the Dino remark.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:17 AM
Itchytoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ yep. As a general rule, I don't recommend using conventional oils anymore. I've used M1 in every vehicle I've owned and have had great results. Your results may vary.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:09 PM
Elim Garak
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Itchytoe
^ yep. As a general rule, I don't recommend using conventional oils anymore. I've used M1 in every vehicle I've owned and have had great results. Your results may vary.
Considering the relatively short OCIs on the G under the severe service schedule, I couldn't really be bothered using synthetics. I've used Mobil 1 quite regularly in other vehicles before, and may switch to that after warranty, but only if I extend my OCIs. I've got enough Pennzoil conventional to keep me going until then. I've run many vehicles many hundreds of thousands of miles on conventional, and use it with confidence, particularly in a normally aspirated application.

Alternatively, I'd consider GC a good option for the engine, once warranty is done. Synthetics up here are not cheap, though. Oddly enough, our Petro Canada 0w-30 is cheaper than their 5w-30 synthetic.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:06 AM
Coprolite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is the G a year round car for you? I'd think the 0w30 would be good for winters up there.

Since Synthetic oil and a quality filter cost the same or less than a dealer change, I have no issues "splurging". After all, I place a high value on my time, so I'd better make it worth it.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:31 PM
Elim Garak
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Coprolite
Is the G a year round car for you? I'd think the 0w30 would be good for winters up there.

Since Synthetic oil and a quality filter cost the same or less than a dealer change, I have no issues "splurging". After all, I place a high value on my time, so I'd better make it worth it.
It's year round, but it's always in a heated garage. A 0w-30 is certainly an option, at least down the road. I've got more than enough Pennzoil 5w-30 for the time being.

I do see your point about "splurging" on synthetic, too. One does save money doing it oneself.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:29 PM
mtrsprt

Regular start-ups and cold starts are THEE worst time for your engine. Engine oil needs to flow as quickly as possible during these times. There is not an oil thin enough to actually take full advantage of this. A quality 0W-30 would provide the best start-up friction protection, while still maintaining 30WT characteristics @ operating temperatures.

Amsoil 0W-30 Signature series synthetic is all you will ever need, and can go up to 15K miles between changes while still holding proven acceptable lubrication properties. Tested by many engine enthusiasts by Blackstone labs.

Motor Oil 101 - Bob is the Oil Guy Great info here as well.