General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Instrument cluster disassembly

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 10:30 AM
Nitro Mojo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know what sucks, I have TMPS on my new wheels, and Discount Tire was supposed to program them but they said they couldn't. Ahhh, I guess the light is pretty annoying. I'm going to have it checked out tomorrow.
Yeah, I had my GT30's mounted up at Discount Tire and they couldnt program the TPMS sensors either. Had the light on from March till June then went to the dealership and they were able to reprogram them. Cost 20 bux but they did it... and the light was gone.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:59 AM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Because they are cheap bastards and had to decide where to cut corners in order to increase profitability on this model. My sense of business would have had me cut out costs in a way that was much less glaringly obvious to the consumer, something they couldn't easily see or tell they were getting screwed out of. Anyone who's driven another car knows that most TPMS do give you real time pressure at all 4 corners and yet a $40K+ Luxury Grand Touring Coupe doesn't? Bad move Infiniti.
Not to be argumentative, but I am “anyone”, I guess, and our other auto, an ’06 Lexus IS250, has the exact same system as our Infinitis. In fact, I would think most cars do not have individual tire pressure readings for each wheel, at least not yet.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:28 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by Chekov
Not to be argumentative, but I am “anyone”, I guess, and our other auto, an ’06 Lexus IS250, has the exact same system as our Infinitis. In fact, I would think most cars do not have individual tire pressure readings for each wheel, at least not yet.
Then you've been screwed twice now. My wife's last three GM company cars cars have had this feature, and they are base model fleet cars (Equinox and 2 Impalas dating back to '04). I stand corrected; most cars have this feature not all. GM can put it on midline sedans and SUV's that cost $20K less, and Infiniti can't put it on a luxury car? If GM can figure out the technology and implement it across the line cost effectively, anybody can. Unacceptable Infiniti.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:42 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

BB,
Well, it all depends on what Infiniti’s definition of a luxury car is. I think that M models have the better feature we desire. I believe Lexus also does the same thing, i.e., putting this feature only on their more expensive models. Now I agree that it’s unacceptable. We can only hope that they’ll both add it to their “entry level” luxury cars in the next few years. Or worse yet, we'll have to wait for the feds to mandate it
Old 06-22-2009, 04:14 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

My wife's Odyssey van has the full feature of telling you exactly what the PSI is at each wheel and it's damn accurate. I like when BB gets worked up over shit like this
Old 06-22-2009, 05:44 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by CHI-TOWN G37
My wife's Odyssey van has the full feature of telling you exactly what the PSI is at each wheel and it's damn accurate. I like when BB gets worked up over shit like this
It's my personal crusade to shame Infiniti into doing the right thing. I understand cutting costs to maximize profitability, but they are just being cheap in this instance. Gimme my damn PSI readings on my TPMS!!!
Old 06-22-2009, 07:23 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

Totally concur, especially for a high performance vehicle of any manufacturer. It's just common sense.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:33 PM
Texas_Bandit

It's just common sense.
You give people too much credit. They should call it un-common sense these days because so few people have it.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:08 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

There’s another aspect to this issue that may be worth mentioning. And that is that some owners decide to go with aftermarket rims that do not support TPMS. For me, it’s hard to understand, given the countless aftermarket rim selections that are compatible with TPMS, but some owners chose not to get such rims.

Now it is legal to change to rims with no TPMS, but it is not legal to extinguish the dash light that results. But some owners (not usually around here) seem to go to great lengths to get rid of that irritating light; like putting all the old sensors in a charged “pipe bomb” placed in the trunk to fool the system or other devious tricks.

So I’m wondering if Infiniti is being reluctant to add a costly device to their line that some G37 owners will find ways to disconnect anyway. Just a thought.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:35 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

There’s another aspect to this issue that may be worth mentioning. And that is that some owners decide to go with aftermarket rims that do not support TPMS. For me, it’s hard to understand, given the countless aftermarket rim selections that are compatible with TPMS, but some owners chose not to get such rims.

Now it is legal to change to rims with no TPMS, but it is not legal to extinguish the dash light that results. But some owners (not usually around here) seem to go to great lengths to get rid of that irritating light; like putting all the old sensors in a charged “pipe bomb” placed in the trunk to fool the system or other devious tricks.

So I’m wondering if Infiniti is being reluctant to add a costly device to their line that some G37 owners will find ways to disconnect anyway. Just a thought.
That rationale is just way off base. The manufacturer has no clue that people will remove them. Maybe if they had full functionality owners will be more reluctant to part with them. Keeping marginally useful TPMS or getting a set of wheels you want is a no brainer for just about every owner here except you. And TPMS can be used with any aftermarket wheels with a set of $60 adapters. People choose not to because they don't care to. I believe that is because they don't work very well. You can close to believe it's for any reason you like.

And I wasn't aware that disabling the indicator light was illegal. Not that I care or that it would stop me.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:56 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by Black Betty
And I wasn't aware that disabling the indicator light was illegal. Not that I care or that it would stop me.
Yes, I looked it up. But I understand that legality is of little interest to some around here, except me I suppose.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:28 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

Don't try to defeat that TPMS warning light on your dash, BB

Old 06-22-2009, 10:35 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

Yes, I looked it up. But I understand that legality is of little interest to some around here, except me I suppose.
I'm sure this law is little known, and certainly is meant for auto shops/dealers, etc.

It's Martini time Chekov!
Old 06-23-2009, 01:44 AM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

I'm sure this law is little known, and certainly is meant for auto shops/dealers, etc.

It's Martini time Chekov!
Yes, and a gentleman never goes online during the cocktail hour. But, alas, now it’s bedtime.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:25 PM
KLB

I agree with BB. My cheap Dodge Caliber would read all of the tires pressure too. Hard to believe that the American car companies are doing something useful that the Japanese are not.

Quick Reply: Instrument cluster disassembly