General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

How do you adjust the headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 04:24 PM
Gyoza

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Raheel
I think this is the PURE Reason other cars like Acura TL and Honda S2000 show the color of the projector better, there lights really hit my eye and they have the purple effect, I will definitely do this once I change my bulbs to 6000k and install my HID Fog Kit
No. Those cars have clear lenses which help to produce the color, our cars have fresnel lenses, so you will never get s2000/TL/TSX color without modifying the lenses or projectors...
Old 12-08-2007, 05:01 PM
dmkozak

Originally Posted by mal_TX
Aim them yourself... to DOT specification.

Use this procedure:
http://g35driver.com/forums/showthre...68#post2027668

And reference the G37 specifics in the attached image.
1. Many, many thanks for your post; especially the G37 page.

2. I am an idiot because, even with the G37 specific page, I still can not find the adjusting screws.

I sure hope someone can find the adjustment screws and post pics.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:19 PM
mal_TX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^ Heh, no problem.

I had the same problem with my 06 coupe -- I was looking in there thinking "what screws??" Well, it turns out it is a hole you can see down into, around the area in the diagram. At the bottom of the hole is some gear teeth. That is, the "screw" isn't really a screw but a gear that is perpendicular to the hole. So, when you put the screwdriver in there and turn it, the philips head on the screwdriver is supposed to "bite" into the gear, and then as you turn it, it should move the gear on the perpendicular access. Clear as mud? Look carefully at the pics for the 06...

Basically you confirm the hole has a gear in it with a flash light, then you hopefully have a philips screwdriver with an appropriately sized head, stick it in there, put a little pressure on it while you turn, and the headlights will move up/down.

When I get to doing my G37 I will post if it is somehow different/weird compared to my 06... but the manual basically looks the same

hope that helps at least a tiny bit, and good luck!

Edit: haha lol I just went and looked and i'll be darned if I can't see any trace of what's in that diagram. I'll have to go back and look at the previous page of the FSM and see if I can figure it out My initial impression is that there is a plastic piece covering where the holes should be....

Last edited by mal_TX; 12-08-2007 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:57 PM
User 111021
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Gyoza
No. Those cars have clear lenses which help to produce the color, our cars have fresnel lenses, so you will never get s2000/TL/TSX color without modifying the lenses or projectors...
Why would they do this!?
Old 12-10-2007, 10:33 PM
mal_TX

Anyone make any progress on this? I looked again tonight and found what I think is the fog lamp height adjustment screw. It was buried under a rubber seal/cover on the very outsides of the engine cover that sort of snaps in. Basically it is the part that seals the hood to the fender/engine area. I pulled out part of it and near the front I can see a hole that leads to one of those grey-colored gear things. I had no luck finding the second gear, so I'm not sure if I was looking at the fog lamp one or the headlight. I need to find both to be sure what I'm looking at.

Funny that the FSM doesn't mention having to get parts out of your way to access the aiming screws.....
Old 12-11-2007, 08:15 PM
dmkozak

Thanks. I did see a sort of black pencil shaped "thing" with the end being sort of like a phillips head. I wasn't sure if that could be it and you adjust the light by turning the head of the stick with your hand.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:30 PM
PainProphet

ahhh, looks just like how to adjust them on the 350z, which reminds me I never did get around to adjusting mine, even after I bought screwdrivers long enough to reach the gears... Hopefully my G won't need adjusting.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:02 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Service Dept. says theres no way to adjust headlights?

I had my car in for my clear bra install and the service guy asked if there was aything that i wanted them to check out... so i said... my headlights seem a little low can you raise them any?
He said sure...

I pick it up and He said that there is no way that they know of to adjust them yet... He said... maybe we will learn and figure out but as of right now we dont know how...

any input on this?
Old 12-30-2007, 03:23 AM
Kream

Isn't it illegal to raise your headlights level?
Old 12-30-2007, 11:35 AM
dmkozak

Originally Posted by Kream
Isn't it illegal to raise your headlights level?
I don't know where you live, but not in the U.S. of A.

Really, think about it. If someone at the factory, port or dealer misaligned your headlights, do you really think it would be illegal to correct the mistake?

Now, if someone could actually figure this out for our cars and explain it so I can understand it, I will be even happier.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:42 AM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Was it BMW or Lexus that had the self-adjusting headlights.. They would adjust/align when you turned the car on. Never heard of any Infiniti doing this. I dont think there is anyway to raise/lower them, they are stationary and can't be adjusted.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:30 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Number 2: I had read that thread and that why i went to the dealer...

Number 3: No where here did it say anything about the service department not knowing how to do this...

Diamond... do you think it would have something to do with the Tech package headlights turning that i have?

Last edited by Callaway; 01-03-2008 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:01 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
No... Why exactly do you say your headlights are lower?? Have you checked the lights next to another Coupe.. I don't think the Tech lights move up and down just left and right, I don't have them so I can't say. Again, unless you got into an accident or something I can't imagine your lights not being angled properly.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:22 PM
dmkozak

Originally Posted by DiamondGCoupe
Was it BMW or Lexus that had the self-adjusting headlights.. They would adjust/align when you turned the car on.
Many cars do this. Ours, however, do not.

Never heard of any Infiniti doing this. I dont think there is anyway to raise/lower them, they are stationary and can't be adjusted.
Two problems with your answer. First, the service manual does include a diagram which shows where the adjustment screws are located. (Only none of us have been able to find them.)

Second, a number of other (shall we say smarter) dealer service departments have adjusted the lights on customer cars.

So, no, the lights are NOT stationary and yes, they CAN BE adjusted.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:44 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Diamond: No i didnt mean vs. another coupe... I just mean that driving down the road it seems not to illuminate as high or as far as other cars ive had...

The guy at infiniti said that they didnt know how to adjust the lights ... he also siad that there may be a way but they didnt know how at this time to adjust them...

he said they are still learning about the 37s and that they will call me when and if they find a way to adjust them...

Has anyone else tried to ask a service dept. to look at theres? that would be the thing to do and maybe some other service dept is more 37 savay...

thanks guys who have contributed to this post....

Last edited by Callaway; 01-03-2008 at 06:52 PM.

Quick Reply: How do you adjust the headlights?